Chapter 29

Back Again: Restart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Yerim's pov]

I got married into the mongol fields a few years ago. I sat in my room alone as Yura and Yubi stood next to me. Yubi was another servant I brought over from Qing.

"Where did Wang'ye go?"

"Wang'ye is still at the court meeting."

I sighed. All these years, Yugyeom has changed. He is not the young man who had a drink with me at the local teahouse in the Qing Capital anymore. He lost the essence of Yugyeom. I touched my belly, the child of Yugyeom and I.

"Zhu'er."

I smiled as I gazed out in the fields that I can see from the corner. I sat outside the yurt. Surrounding my yurt were other yurts belonging to the concubines of Yugyeom. Yugyeom has 12 concubines due to strategic marriage alliances. I was only close with a few. The rest didn't like me since Yugyeom never spared them a glance. I know Yugyeom still respects me but... I wish we could go back to the moments when we were free of our ranks and just Yerim, Yugyeom. The prince who caught me when I fell off the roof, the man who carried me back to the Kang Qinwang Manor after I drank, the one who took care of me when I was drunk, when he spoke for me to help me.

"Zhu'er, why don't we go inside?"

I shake my head, "I like to sit here."

Yura was worried as Yubi got me a blanket. I smiled as felt the wind blowing, with smells of the grassland in the breeze.

"Yura...."

"Yes, Zhu'er."

"Do you think... I made a good choice?"

"What do you mean?"

"Marrying over to someone I loved for years... all these while I thought he would be the same. However, I was wrong."

"Zhu'er..."

"I'm sure sister Yewon went through the same before. All the promises Emperor Yoongi gave her made her hold onto the tiny bit of love he gave. Until the end, there was no love."

"Don't say such things... Zhu'er. It's bad for the child."

"Is the child really that important anymore?"

My face turned pale and the mongolian doctors came to attend on me. They took my pulse as I smiled weakly.

"Fujin, you're with a child."

I shake my head, "Keep it a secret first. From anyone. No one should know."

"Yerim! Yerim!"

"Greetings to Chin Wang."

I smiled softly when he came over as the doctor packed up. When I saw him rush, I was happy. As if I saw my lover again, as if the man who drank with me at the teahouse was still there.

"How's the Fujin?"

"She is well. It's just these days, she did not get enough rest."

"Alright."

The servants in the room went out as the doctor left. I smiled as he came over.

"Yerim, what are you thinking of these days."

"Nothing much... where were you earlier?"

"Fifth brother was caught in a secret affair. I had to help solve it."

"Yugyeom... this- can we not get involved with the fight for the title of Khan?"

"Yerim, you know that I am born to fight. Which is why I have so many concubines. Including you, they are all here to help me."

"Why can't we-"

"Yerim, you know that when you married here. You would be the next Khatun. I'm doing this for us."

"Wang'ye knows and is aware if this is really for me or not."

"Yerim."

"I miss the moments when we were only Yugyem and Yerim not Han Qinwang and Hui Xianzhu."

"After I bring fifth brother down, I will be the only one in power."

"Wang'ye, you have the Qing's support.. why are you so- You are one of the four great Qinwangs of the Kimah Khan Tribe. You have military power and the absolute trust of the Khaan, why are you so hooked up in these affairs?"

"Why are you restraining me? You knew the title was important to me the moment you married in. Why ignore it?"

"Wang'ye."

"Alright Yerim, I didn't come here to argue with you. Since you are not in the right state of mind, I'll leave you to it."

I kept mum, it dawned on me. I lost my sweetheart.

"I have to settle some affairs."

Yura got in after Yugyeom left.

"Yura."

"Yes. Zhu'er."

"Pack up."

"What?"

"In a few days, I will leave for the Qing. I am due in a while and I should leave this place."

"Zhu'er.. how can we leave?"

"Get Yubi too. Pack some clothings and a cloth for the baby. We will leave. I know sister Yerin has some people hidden here, get them to help us."

By nightfall, I held onto my stomach as sister Yerin's guards helped us escape the place. I walked and walked, finally reached Gansu in a month. My water broke in the next month as I was departing Gansu and I gave birth to both a son and a daughter. I smiled as I hugged them while Yura and Yubi tend to my wounds. By then, Yugyeom must've heard about my escape. I hugged my children tightly and kissed their forehead.

'My child. I'm sorry...'

Yura helped me up as I held onto my child tightly while Yubi carries my daughter. His features were exactly like Yugyeom. I smiled as we reached the capital. A carriage came out as guards stopped me.

"Hui Xianzhu?"

I looked up and saw Eunhee as sister Yerin came out of the carriage.

"Sister Yerin!"

"Yerim? What are you-"

I fell on the floor in exhaution as I held my child up.

[Yerin's pov]

I was going to leave the capital for a short walk. There had been news from the mongol lands that Yerim left the place with Yubi and Yura, alongside the Flower and Cloud guards I planted there. I heard some commotion and moved the curtain of the carriage as Eunhee moved from the carriage.

"Hui Xianzhu?"

"Eunhee...?"

I heard the familiar voice and I came out of the carriage.

"Sister Yerin!"

"Yerim? What are you-"

I saw the familiar guards I disguised as servants. Yerim panted as she held onto a bundle and then her eyes rolled before she collasped on the floor.

"Zhu'er!"

I helped her up, "Quick! Eunhee, go back! Back to the palace!"

Eunhee and Yura helped Yerim as I got into the carriage. Eunhee left as Yura and Yubi both held onto the bundles each. I carrassed Yerim's face as Yubi walked behind Eunhee. We entered the palace and Jung Ho waited for us at the entrance. Jung Ho carried Yerim on his back as we all ran to the Palace of Prolonged Happiness. Phyisicians were called and the entire Palace of Prolonged Happiness was in a frantic state. Eunmi, Jihu, Koyuko, Anhe and Arjun took turns to grab basins of hot water. Yongle looked after the coal as Deshi, Haro and Eiji assisted in moving coal into the room. I was outside as Jung Ho and Eunhee stood behind me with Yura and Yubi stood before me.

"Yura, Yubi. What's going on?"

The both of them kneeled down, "Greetings to Ci Gongju."

"Alright. Get up first. Tell me what is going on first?"

They looked at each other and lifted the baby bundles.

"This is?"

"Zhu'er gave birth to Han Qinwang's children on the way here. She left on impulse..."

I sighed, "Yerim is playful but she is not someone who would do things on impulse. Tell me what happened exactly."

"All these years... Lord Yugyeom was focused on the fight between the few Qinwangs to be the next Khan. Zhu'er... she didn't like it..."

Eunhee and Jung Ho looked at me worried and I sighed.

"Let the physicians check on the children too. Yubi and Yura. Follow me."

Jihu and Anhe came over and brought the child as I entered the main hall of the Palace of Prolonged Happiness. Eunha went to check on Yerim as the physicians moved in and out.

"Yura, what is Yerim's condition now?"

"Gege's condition is worserning move time... all these years, her energy slowly went down as her mental health... Ci Gongju, our Gege really wanted to return to Qing. She said, this is the place where she might be able to find traces of the love story between Lord Yugyeom and her."

I frowned, "Yerim... did she really say that?"

"All these years... Han Qinwang was coped up with his court affairs. Even though he did favour our Gege, but he ultimately isn't the Qinwang from years ago."

The physician came in and greeted me. I signalled Yura and Yubi down.

"How's Yerim's condition?"

"Hui Xianzhu has a heart condition now. I can treat her wounds from the childbirth but... her heart condition is up to her."

"What condition?"

"Ci Gongju, Hui Xianzhu has dragged her condition all these years. Furthermore, she did not take any supplements after her birth."

I sighed, "Is it serious?"

"I can only predict that she has another year to live..."

"What?"

"Ci Gongju..."

I nod, "Physician Akarta, please help Yerim recover."

"Yes, Gongju. I will do my best."

The physician leaves and I let out tears.

"Yerim.... how did she-"

"Zhu'er. It's alright.."

"Jung Ho, send word to Yugyeom that Yerim is in the Qing Capital for visiting. Eunhee, get Jihu and Eunmi to check on Yerim. She was dressed in thin clothes and it's winter now. Make sure there's sufficient coal."

"Yes, Zhu'er."

"Eunhee.."

"Zhu'er, Hui Xianzhu is blessed. She will be fine."

I nod as I went to check on Yerim who laid on the bed peacefully as Yura wipes her with a warm towel. Next to her, in a crib was her children. I checked on the boy and the girl. Eunha came next to me as Eunji supports her in.

"Sister Yerin... how's Yerim?"

I shake my head, "The physicians can treat her wounds but... the knots in her heart...."

Eunha sighed, "Is this... like the ending of Lady Yewon?"

"I've sent men to inform Yugyeom. It's up to him if he wants to come. I'm sure Yerim would want him to come."

"Zhu'er! Zhu'er!"

I turned as Yerim looked lifeless and I quickly ran to her side.

"Yerim! Yerim!'

I felt her pulse as the physician inserted needles into Yerim's arm and head. Her face started to gain colour again.

"Yerim..."

The physician removed the needle and got up.

"Ci Gongju, her condition is stable now. Don't worry too much. If she tries to untie to knots in her heart and put down certain matters. I'm sure she will be fine."

"Thank you so much."

Eunha and I walked over to Yerim's bed as we both looked at her. The crippled look on her face worried me. I carrassed her fringe as I sighed.

"Yura, take care of Yerim well. I think she would want some rest. Call us if she woke up."

"Yes, Ci Gongju."

I nod as Yura and Yubi bend their knees to see us off before attending to Yerim. I came out and saw Koyuko, Anhe, Haro and Eiji carried basins of water while the eunuchs were holding coal warmers.

"After this, go and prepare the medication Yerim takes."

"Yes, Gongju."

I held out my hand which Eunhee took as Eunha and I went to my chamber.

"Sister Yerin..."

We took a seat on eat side of the cushioned seats as Eunhee and Eunji stood by us.

"Yerim's condition is worsening as time goes by. I'm afraid..."

"No. Sister Yerim, nothing will happen."

I smiled bitterly, "Who can guarantee anything? Yewon held onto her life for so many years. In the end..."

Eunha held onto my hand as our nail guards clinked, "Sister Yerin... nothing bad will happen."

"I hope so. Eunhee, how are the children?"

"Zhu'er, the physicians checked on A-ge and Gege. Hui Xianzhu must have used her milk to feed them. They are all well."

"Yugyeom must have heard about the news by now. I have to go and find Royal Uncle."

I held my hand up as Eunhee supports me with Eunha and Eunji following me out.

"Eunha, guard Yerim well."

"Yes, sister."

I smiled as Koyuko, Anhe, Mira, Kyungok, In-hye and Yongle formed a train of two by three behind me. Haro and Deshi stood behind the train of six and we walked to the Hall of Mental Cultivation. I entered with Eunhee and kneeled as Wumin lowered down on one knee to greet me.

"Greetings to Royal Uncle. I wish you peace and grace."

"Yerin, get up and take a seat."

Eunhee gets me a stool and I take a seat.

"Royal Uncle, did you receive news?"

"About?"

"Royal Uncle, Yerim left the Mongol tribe secretly and now she's in the palace."

"I heard, tell me why she did that."

"According to Yura and Yubi, Han Qinwang did take good care of Yerim. However, all these years the Kimah Khan Tribe have been fighting over the position of the next Khaan. Yerim didn't want to join in the fight. She wanted to gain love rather than power."

"Yerin, you know that is how..."

"Royal Uncle, doesn't all these sound so familiar to you?"

"It sounds exactly like Yewon..."

"However, unlike Yewon, Yerim is more soft-hearted than Yewon. Yewon used any moment to remember the Emperor Yoongi and also protected his children. Yerim acts strong but can give up anything."

"Alright, I will send out a decreed saying that Yerim is to return to Qing for a family visit. It is up

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter