The Calm Before the Storm

Of Crime and Passion: Lady Jung (Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wheein stalks away from Byul's office.

She was still trying so hard to be calm. Byul asked her to sit this one out. And she will. She knows she's worried. She's worried not just for Wheein, but for herself too.

She goes inside her office and slams the door behind her. She wants to scream out her frustration but she can't. She cracks her neck and sits down on her chair with her fingers holding her temples.

She really, really wants to strangle Hyejin right now. This was all her fault. Of all the people to get involved in, she had to get someone from the Lucky Hour. Of all places.

But she has to fight off that urge. She's still Byul's wife.

She closes her eyes and leans back on her chair.

She breathes in and out through and counts to 100.

She can do this, she can calm down.

1... 2... 3... 4...

Wina, don't let anything they say get to you. You're just as good as those boys.

But they say I'm not ever gonna be like them, dad. Because I'm a girl.

Haha, and that's what makes you even better than them.

8... 9... 10...

Wina, think about your next move first.

It's just a game, dad.

Chess is not just a game. It's a war between your soldiers and mine. You have to think of a good strategy to save your king and queen or else they'll die.

You're morbid, dad, do you know that?

Hahaha, Yes I do. And you are my sweet not so morbid little girl.

16... 17... 18... 19... 20...

Who were those people who came here, dad? New friends?

No. They're not friends.

Are you okay, dad?

I'm fine. I'm just a little worried. I think I'm getting too old for this business.

Sorry I didn't turn out to be a son, dad. I can't help you with business.

Oh Wina, don't ever say that. I'm glad I have a daughter as smart and beautiful as you.

But I still can't help.

Yes you can. You can help me by doing well in school and with your other lessons. And stop hanging out with the boys too much.

Haha. We're not doing anything crazy.

Are you sure? I don't think I like those boys you hang out with. Hmmm.

Haha. Stop being so overprotective dad. I have to go. I'm going to the mall with my friends okay?

Okay. What time will you be home?

I'm not sure. I'll call when I need to be picked up, okay dad?

Okay. Take care and don't get in trouble.

Okay, dad. I won't. I promise. I love you.

I love you too, Wina.

37... 38... 39... 40... 41...

Wina, your dad didn't make it. I'm sorr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter