"I'm running the show."

Of Crime and Passion: Lady Jung (Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After a few crumpled tissues thrown in the trash basket and some light make up done on her face, Hyejin was finally looking better, much better than how she looked earlier with tears streaking down her face, at least.

Still sitting down behind her desk, Wheein is silent with her hands folded in front of her, her lips slightly touching her fingers. She's contemplating, wondering what's gonna happen next and how the situation will play out. Thoughts of the Yongsun girl still crosses her mind, and she might say that she doesn't care but she does feel a small amount of pity towards her.

The thoughts running through her head were interrupted by the loud ringing of her work phone which also startled Hyejin. She routed the call to the speaker with a press of a button and answered, already knowing who was on the other line.

W: Yes?

B: A word in my office.

W: Okay. And your wife is here with me.

She says as she looks at Hyejin who at this time was busying herself looking through Wheein's awards and merits on the wall.

B: Okay. Noted.

There was a flatline tone on the other end informing her that Byul had already hung up the phone. Hyejin looks at her and smiles softly.

H: Most valuable employee, huh?

W: Excuse me?

Hyejin smiled and pointed to one of the awards hanging on the wall.

H: You were last year's most valuable employee. Kinda fitting I think.

Two raised eyebrows and a shake of her head was Wheein's response. She took her phone out of her bag and walked to stand beside Hyejin.

W: I'm the most valuable employee every year.

The statement was true, there was no denying that, but it was only Byul and Hyejin and perhaps Sandeul too, who knew just how truly valuable she was to the company. Hyejin chuckles softly and nods her head in agreement.

Wheein gestured for her to start walking and she followed her out.

It's not just the way Jung Wheein walks that makes her look intimidating. It's not the echoes of her heels nor the sway of her hips that makes you think she's a dangerous woman. It's the way she always carried herself. Her unfaltering composure, the calmness in her voice when she speaks, the way she stares at you as if she's able to look into your soul, it's the way she commands a room into silence with just a raise of an eyebrow.

And right now, it's the way she followed Hyejin, staying 3 steps behind her as they head to the CEO's office. Even behind the CEO's wife, you would know who had more power between the two women, it was clear as the light of day. With the way that Wheein held her head high as she walked, ever composed, ever calm, looking straight ahead as if everyone else is beneath her.

There were two people standing outside Byul's office, one of their top security guards and Sandeul.

The moment he sees the two women walking towards them, he immediately stands straighter, out of respect, he then opens the door for them with a low bow. He steps in after them, gently closing the door and locking it, taking his place in guarding it from the inside while the other guard stood outside.

The two FBI Agents were sitting on the couch in front of Byul's table stood up as they watched the two women take their place beside Byul. Hyejin on the left and Wheein on the right.

As for Byul, she was busy looking at the city, the back of her chair facing her unwanted guests this morning. She quickly swivels the chair around to face them once the two women were beside her.

She took a pen from the table and started playing with it and called the men's attention.

B: Gentlemen, I am a busy person. So, whatever it is you have to say, you can say it now.

Agent Morelli cleared his throat, adjusting his tie as he did so and started pleading his case.

Agent Morelli: Mrs. Moon, again, I'd like to apologize for dragging you into this mess. But we were also just trying to protect you while working to catch these criminals. We would really appreciate it if you help us rescue the Yongsun girl.

B: No.

Agent Morelli: Mrs. Moon, a life is in danger here. They will hurt her and kill her and we don't have much time. Please, we need your help to get the girl out.

Her annoyance wasn't noticeable, she had, of course, her poker face on but Wheein watched as the FBI Agent started getting agitated, frustrated even at Byul's refusal to help and It was really annoying her. She gave Hyejin a sideways glance and noticed that unlike her, she had a look in her eyes, and she smiled to herself. It was a small smile. She recognized that look. It was the kind of look you put on when someone tells you, you can't do something, but you're hell-bent on still doing it. It was determination. She smirked, wondering what's gonna happen next.

B: No.

H: Yes.

Her eyebrows shot up hearing Hyejin speak out. Byul swiveled her chair and stared at her wife with shock and she stared back, determined more than ever.

H: I have to help her.

B: No, you don't. It's risky and I won't allow it.

The scoff that came out of Hyejin's mouth was surprising. Even Sandeul smiled a little. Byul's wife was never the type of person to talk back. She was silent for almost the entirety of their marriage, at least in front of other people. She wasn't the type of person to argue with Byul in front of anyone, reserving her words in the comfort of their home. But it looks like that's going to change today.

H: Yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter