Secrets

Of Crime and Passion: Lady Jung (Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sandeul wasn't back yet so a different person was guarding Byul's office door, she didn't smile at him like she would with Sandeul. As she was getting closer to the door, the guard knocked softly and then opened it for Wheein.

Byul wasn't working on her computer when she walked in. She was standing by the window, looking at the city below.

W: Staring into the city again? That view won't change anytime soon.

Byul hummed but didn't respond to Wheein's comment, instead, she changed the subject as soon as she can.

B: Did my wife's mistress leave already?

W: Hmm. I thought you said we shouldn't assume she's a mistress because your wife said she was her friend? but if she were, what are you going to do about it?

Byul lets out a frustrated sigh and leaned her head on the glass window.

B: Nothing.

W: Are you jealous, perhaps?

Byul let out a grunt but didn't answer her, she moved to sit on her office chair and Wheein sat on the couch and crossed her legs. They were silent for a few minutes, only the clicking of the keys can be heard in the room as Byul started working on something on her laptop.

W: Valentine sends his regards.

B: Hmm. I hope he's doing well.

Wheein let out a sigh and Byul heard it loud and clear. She stopped typing and looked at her.

B: Is there something wrong?

She turned to face the CEO and let out another sigh.

W: Your wife gave the girl her maiden name. Either Hyejin wants to hide who she is, which is nearly impossible or this girl is clueless. Or stupid. Whichever fits.

B: There's no one in SK who doesn't know who my wife is.

W: Except for this girl.

B: How do you even know that?

W: She said that her friend had gotten her an audition here, and when I asked for the friend's name, she said "An Hyejin". If she had said that to Lea, she would have found out that An Hyejin is married to the owner of this place. Good thing I came just in time.

B: Hmmm.

W: Byul, something is different about this girl. I can feel it in my gut. There's something off about her.

B: Do you think she can make a scandal out of this? Is she a threat?

W: I honestly don't know. We don't know anything about her.

Byul sighs and takes a pen from her table to play with.

B: What's the worst-case scenario in your mind, Wina?

W: Well, I don't have all the information I need about her yet. Valentine's working on that. But from what I see, she can either be an extortionist or an opportunist. She may be pretending that she doesn't know who Hyejin is so that she can blackmail her or extort money from her. I can make a better assessment once I find out more.

Byul was showing signs of frustration and stress. She was playing with the pen faster.

B: What has Hyejin gotten herself into?

W: You need to talk to your wife.

Byul throws the pen on the table and looks at her. And then she lets out an exasperated sigh and stands up to look at the city again.

B: Do you remember when we were starting to get the company off the ground? We said we'd do everything to make sure we stay above the city.

She turned around to look at Wheein, a fire burning in her eyes.

B: We're now above the city, Wina. I don't plan on going anywhere.

Wheein stands up and nods at her.

B: Make this go away. Quickly and quietly. I don't care if she's having an affair with Hyejin or not anymore. I just don't want her around.

W: So I guess we won't be signing her?

B: No, we won't. She seems too dangerous to be around us. We need to find out what Hyejin has been telling her.

Wheein groans a little at this and rolls her eyes.

W: Fine. I'll talk to your wife.

She walks out of Byul's office quickly and tells the guard not to let anyone disturb Byul. She was in one of her moods. She walks briskly back to her office and thinks about the girl, Kim Yongsun.

Something was very weird about her. And she couldn't place it.

This Kim Yongsun girl may not know who An Hyejin really is but she seems to know who Byul is. She flinched when she heard her voice. And it would be impossible for someone to know Byul and not know who her wife is. She's clearly not a good liar.

What do we know so far? She works at the Beer Garden. A speakeasy bar hidden away in the poorest part of Seoul. Why was Hyejin going there? And why was this girl working there? If she wanted to be a singer she could have worked at other reputable bars that talent scouts frequent. How long have they known each other? What was the nature of their relationship?

Arghh! I need to find out more about her. I have too many questions and very little answers!

She feels very uneasy about all of this. This does not look like an affair that Hyejin usually gets into and that they can easily erase. There's more to it than that. This whole thing is not as easy as it looks.

As she was lost in her thoughts, there was a knock on the door.

W: Come in.

Sandeul walks in with a paper bag and a new phone.

S: I picked out the same one but there was already a newer model that came out.

W: It's okay. I like this one.

S: How's Valentine?

W: He's fine.

She takes out the phone and inserts her sim card in it and then hands it off to Sandeul for him to set up. He takes the phone and sits down where Yong was sitting earlier.

S: The girl, what was she doing here?

W: She was asking about an audition that her friend, An Hyejin, has arranged for her.

Sandeul raised an eyebrow.

S: Hmm. An Hyejin huh? I haven't heard that name in a while.

As always, Sandeul was very perceptive. Among everyone she's worked with, Sandeul can be considered her best friend. And he was, in many ways. Like her, he is not an ordinary bodyguard.

Well, anyone who's close to Byul could never be ordinary.

To some, Sandeul is just a bodyguard tasked to protect Byul, but to them, Sandeul is much more. He's the head of Byul's security team and he's also the one who trains all the security personnel who protect their artists when they're coming and going from their events. All of their security details have served in the military and use their expertise for their new line of work. He is also an expert in technology. He's the go-to I.T. guy for everything Wheein needs.

He has other qualities worth noting but the best one yet is that he has friends in the highest and lowest places.

Aside from that, he's an expert at firearms and he has been working with Byul far longer than Wheein has.

He was there from the very beginning, not as Byul's bodyguard, but as Byul's best friend.

No one knows about that except the 3 of them.

They all have this code between them, they separate their personal lives from their work, who they are in public is very different from who they are in private.

And they liked it that way.

They liked their secret lives.

S: So, what did you think about her?

W: I don't have a good feeling about her. I need Valentine's information and I need it soon.

He finished setting up Wheein's phone and handed it to her.

S: Here you go.

W: Thanks. What would I do without you?

S: I'm not sure, but I hope your phone doesn't have a fight with the wall again.

She chuckled softly and then smiled at Sandeul as he stood up.

W: I can't make promises.

S: Why did you throw it at the wall anyway? What did she tell you?

W: Well, she texted me this morning and said that she was going to be on the news soon. Something about moving in with her pretend boyfriend for some media play because apparently someone caught her leaving my apartment. So her CEO talked to her about it.

S: And this made you mad because?

W: Because! We were together for 5 years and we haven't even broken up for a full day and now she moves in with her pretend boyfriend!?

S: It's just media play. We do that all the time.

W: That still doesn't make me feel better because now I'll have to see her everywhere.

S: Well, there's that.

She sighs and runs her hand through her hair.

W: Anyway, don't worry about it. I'll handle her on my own.

Sandeul walks to the door and is about to leave when Wheein called him back.

W: Sands, wait.

S: Yeah?

W: You have that private investigator friend right? What was his name again?

S: Kim Seok-jin. Why?

W: Can he be trusted?

S: I trust him.

W: Okay. That's good enough for me. Can you contact him and set up a meeting? I want to avail of his services.

S: Okay. I'll get you a meeting.

Wheein then puts her new phone inside her bag and walks to the door to leave with Sandeul.

W: Okay. Thanks. I'll message you later.

S: Where are you going?

W: I need to talk to Mrs. Moon.

Sandeul rolls his eyes and pats her on the back.

S: Goodluck. You're gonna need it.

Talking to Mrs. Moon is never a good experience for Wheein.

She hated having to go there and pretend that she likes her in front of her colleagues and then talk to her.

But it has to be done.

An Hyejin. Moon Hyejin. Hwas

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter