Jung Wheein

Of Crime and Passion: Lady Jung (Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

By all accounts, Jung Wheein is ordinary.

She is a small woman with a soft smile and a strong demeanor. She was smart and talented but she didn't stand out. Well, she didn't want to stand out anyway.

She worked as a secretary, getting coffee, setting up meetings, talking to clients, ordinary secretary things to do.

But, Jung Wheein is not your ordinary secretary.

She's not an ordinary girl at all.

She spent the first 15 years of her life in Busan. She was an only child and her mother had died when she was very young, her dad raised her. Her dad was a big man with a cold expression on his face. He was scary especially when he would stare at you. But to her, he was just a kind-hearted and loving man. He enjoyed gardening and playing chess. A game he taught her to play at an early age. She lived a good life. Until her dad got murdered.

Her dad was a popular man, he was the head of the Jung family. One of 5 mafia families still operating in Korea. Everyone knew who he was, he was respected and feared but he was getting old. He was training people to replace him but he died too soon.

She remembers that day pretty clearly.

She went out with her friends from school to go to the mall, it was late and she was calling home for an oppa to pick her up. The oppa who picked up the phone sounded strange, he was frantic and asked where she was and someone would pick her up.

They went straight to the hospital when the oppa arrived and she saw her dad being taken away to the morgue. She didn't cry that day. Her dad said never let anyone know what you're thinking, what you're feeling. Don't let them smell your fear or vulnerability. So she didn't cry in front of anyone. She cried when she was alone.

That day at the hospital, a man came from Seoul.

They said he rushed to Busan as soon as he heard. He was a handsome man, wearing a nice, clean white suit.

Taehyung oppa, but he said to call him Valentine. He was the son of her Dad's friend from the Kim family in Seoul. Her dad taught her the whole history of the Mafia families in Korea, he taught her how the business worked, how to think like a mobster, how to act like one. He taught her how to make friends and keep them. It was important he said, to remain loyal to all your friends. The Kim Family were friends. She should remain loyal.

Valentine took her in. Put her to school. Gave her men who guarded her and kept her safe.

He did everything an older brother would. But he refused to give her a place in the business. He didn't want her to get hurt, she was after all, still a little girl and he wanted to protect her. She was family. She was the daughter of his Dad's good friend and she had no one else.

So she had to prove to him that she can take care of herself. She started studying martial arts. She learned how to shoot a gun.

She learned how to play with knives. Knives were her specialty.

And then Valentine let her hang around the family more. He taught her the same things her dad taught her, but newer, more modern ways to handle the Mafia. He taught her everyone she shouldn't be making friends with.

And she learned, and she became a little bit more like Valentine every day. He taught her how to be cunning, her moves had to be planned, her strategy has to be calculated. Even her responses and her interactions were thought of first.

But still, Valentine wasn't willing to risk her getting involved with the business just yet. And she agreed, after thinking about it, she realized that she had better use outside of the Family business. Where no one knows who she is. She can be a normal civilian, living a normal life. And maybe that's what she wanted for a bit.

She graduated from school and Valentine couldn't be happier. He didn't attend her graduation though, no one did. Instead, they waited for her at home, in I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter