An Old Strategy

Of Crime and Passion: Lady Jung (Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The room was quiet. The door was closed, as well as the windows. There wasn't much in this small room. Just a few books, a table, and a short couch.

The two people were in the middle of the room, sitting across each other with a chessboard in the middle.

They were both staring at the chessboard, thinking of their next move, engrossed in a battle of wits. Wheein uses white chess pieces and Valentine uses the black ones.

White pawn to D4

W: Did you find out anything about the girl, oppa?

V: Not a lot. The girl is indeed strange. She has no information at all. I thought she could have been erased but no one could be erased for no reason and without money.

Black pawn to D5

W: Sandeul said the same thing. I'm trying to get a private investigator to find out more.

V: Hmm. Do you know this private investigator personally?

White pawn to C4

W: No, but he's Sandeul's friend.

V: Okay. That should be fine.

Valentine moves his pawn from D5 and takes Wheein's white pawn on C4.

W: What were you able to find out though?

V: She lives near Gangbuk. In a rooftop house. She works at a small speakeasy bar there as a waitress and singer. On the weekends, she works at a private host club.

White knight to F3

W: I actually know about that already.

Valentine's eyebrows jerked up in surprise.

V: Do you know which host club?

Wheein stopped her hand mid-air and smiled at him.

W: The Lucky Hour club. Hyejin told me.

She took her hand down and stared at the chessboard, silently thinking for a time.

W: Don't you find it strange, oppa?

Valentine sighed softly and nodded his head.

V: Yes, yes I do. Women who work at the Lucky Hour are forced to work there. They're kidnapped and drugged or threatened to be killed. So... Why is this strange girl able to freely work there and still have another job on the weekdays?

Black knight to F6

V: What did the wife say about this?

W: Nothing. I feel like she knows something, but she's not saying anything. And it worries me.

V: It worries you because of the scandal it could bring or that Hyejin would get hurt?

White knight to C3

W: Both. She's Byul's wife. I can't just let her get hurt. Byul loves her.

V: And you love Byul, don't you?

She stared at him, too surprised to respond immediately.

V: You don't have to say it. I always knew. Anyway, Hyejin, what could have possibly compelled her to have an affair with that girl?

W: I... I don't know. Hyejin is far too careful with these things to do something like this. And she was pretty adamant when she said she never sleeps with these women.

Black pawn to A6

V: And It's easy for me to believe that. I have never seen her hold hands or be intimate with these affairs, which made it really hard for me to believe that they were even affairs, to begin with.

W: Something is going on, oppa. I know it.

V: Has she been acting strange l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter