A Job, Just for Her

Of Crime and Passion: Lady Jung (Book 1)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The secretary walks the hall that heads to the CEO's office with her usual strict composure. Even from a distance, it's apparent that there's power in her stride. Her footsteps contained confidence and for a woman who had a very small stature, she stood tall.

The artists and their staff who are lined up outside the evaluation rooms all greet her happily as she passes by.

Jung Wina, or just Wina to some, is the executive assistant of Moon Byul, the CEO of Moonstar Studios.

She's been working for her since she graduated from business school, which was about 7 years ago. Back then the company was just another nameless artist agency and the CEO was just another girl trying to make it in a man's world.

But Byul was persistent. She was very passionate and she kept working hard to prove that she wasn't just another girl. She did everything it took for her company to succeed.

Everything, including making very dangerous friends and doing things she thought she'd never do.

And all of that paid off,

Now, Moonstar Studios is the biggest artist agency in South Korea. They handle different types of artists such as musicians, idols, singers, bands and very recently have started managing actors, too.

If you are an aspiring artist, this is where you would want to audition. If you get signed by them, your success is almost guaranteed.

All you have to do is put in the work.

Which is what Wina did and has been doing for 7 years.

Her job is highly valuable and is probably the most coveted one in the company. Being the CEO's right hand definitely has its perks. A huge salary, bonuses, you get to travel with the boss if she goes overseas, you meet all the big names in the industry and celebrities you won't normally be able to get close to.

So, yes, being a secretary to the company boss is definitely something.

But Jung Wina isn't your ordinary secretary. In fact, nothing about her is ordinary.

Wina, to everyone who works with her, knows that she is strict and has always been a perfectionist. She's the type of person who makes you repeat the same dance step over and over again until you're practically dancing it in your sleep.

She's strict, yes, and a little ruthless if you're one of those lucky people who annoy her. But she's not heartless, she just wants the people around her to always be at their best.

Although capable of handing out smaller jobs to other people in their office, she doesn't. Instead, she insists on doing most things by herself and it's not like she doesn't want to ask anyone for help, but more like there are certain jobs that only she can do.

As one would expect, Wina is also undeniably intelligent. She knows everything about the company, about her boss and about the people working for them. It may be unbelievable to some, but Wina knows all the people who work for them, by name, face and by heart. Mostly because she interviewed each and everyone of them before they got hired. She didn't have to do that since they do have a dedicated HR staff to conduct the whole hiring process, but she insisted to do an in-depth interview with the applicants so that she can decide if they would be a good fit or not.

Since she's the CEO's executive assistant, that automatically makes her commander-in-chief when the boss isn't around. Her opinions are trusted and valued and she holds so much authority that she is able to make decisions for the company on her own, without the CEO's approval.

An ordinary secretary wouldn't be holding this much power in any company.

But again, Jung Wina is not an ordinary secretary.

Up ahead, she can already see Sandeul, the CEO's bodyguard, standing in front of the office door like a statue. He moves away quickly and opens the door for her with a low bow, ushering her in.

Moon Byul, the CEO of Moonstar Studios looks up from her computer when Wina entered the room.

They nod at each other, acknowledging each other's presence. They never greet each other as normal people would because their bond was beyond a normal employer-employee relationship. They respected each other as equals, the only difference was, Byul was the CEO, she wasn't.

Byul turns her head back on her computer screen and continues what she was doing while Wina walks up to her boss' table and sits on the chair in front of the CEO.

Wina: The messenger came today. He brought some pictures again.

Byul: Hmmm... Did I need to see them?

Wina: Not particularly. It was just more of the same subject. Your wife, with someone else.

Byul: I see. Burn them. If I don't see them, then I don't know anything about them.

The CEO doesn't even look up from her work, the subject wasn't that important, at least not to her.

Wina: I already did.

Byul: Good. I need you to do something for me.

The CEO then opens her side drawer and grabs an envelope from the top pile. She hands it over to Wina who opens it and drops the contents on the table, which isn't much. Just a flash drive and a piece of paper with a name and phone number.

She looks at the paper and reads it out loud with a furrow in her brow.

Wina: Kim Yongsun. Who is she?

Byul: She's a singer my wife knows. Hyejin wanted me to give that girl a chance to audition here.

Wina: And you agreed, because?

Byul: Because she's my wife.

Byul said, raising her head and pushing away the keyboard in front of her. The answer was simple, precise and to the point. Wina nods and put the items back inside the envelope.

Wina: Okay, then. I'll give her a call.

Byul: No. Not yet.

Wina: Why?

Byul: I want you to listen to her sing first. Listen to the songs on the flash drive and tell me what you think. After that, we can discuss how we want to proceed.

Wina: You sound like you already listened to her and you like what you heard. It sounds to me like you're on the fence with this one for a different reason, one that has nothing to do with her singing.

Byul smiled at her and leaned back on her chair. Wina has always been very perceptive. She picks up on things even when you do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter