Chapter 36

Looking for Love

I get home and finally call Zayaan back. I had my phone on charger while I ate and when I picked it up again I notiecd that he left two miscalls on snapchat.

"Babe, download skype on your phone" he texted me.

I did that. "I am not sure if I remember my skype name" I tell him,.

After a few minutes, luckily I manage to remember. 

"Babe, why is there a picture of nutella as your default picture?" He asks after he calls me on the phone, amusingly.

"Oh I loved nutella a lot that is why I posted it as my skype default picture," I tell him.

He laughs. "Babe you are so funny".

We talk for like an hour before he tells me that he is going to sleep. "Good night babe, I will text you in the morning".

"Alright!" 

After he hangs up, he texts me good night. It is so romantic. Even after telling me good night on the phone he texts it to me again. I used to get annoyed that he called me so often but little did I know that the calls would eventually slow down and then stop altogether... It would get awkward talking on the phone.

We talk on the phone here and there. I can not believe we had two dates already! Even though we live in two whole different states. Wow we are making it work.

I wake up in the morning and sure enough, get texts from him. Good Morning snaps. It is something that I am getting used to and I can not be without those snaps. I never send the morning snaps first. I always wait for him to do it first. I do not know why I did that. I might have done it first once or twice.

"Babe when am I gonna see you again?" he asks me.

"Can we wait until finals are over to see each other? My teacher had a talk with me for missing so many classes after I missed the last one to cut class to be with you".

"Wow really, how many times did you cut that class?"

"That was like the fifth time" I answer his question.

"Oh so its not my fault, you already missed like five other classes" he tells me, feeling better.

"Yeah, but I do not want to do bad in school. I have so many papers to write and finals to take so can we just wait after they are done? I am so stressed out right now".

"I feel you. I have finals too but I will make time for you since your my priority but  I want you to do well in school, we will wait until finals are over to see each other again."

"Thanks babe for understanding".

I did not realize it then but he was not that focused on school as I was. He would convince me to cut classes because he cut classes himself.

I loved it at the time. Feeling like I was the one in control and he was the one who wanted to see me more. 

I loved being in a relationship. Things felt so real. No one ever commited themselves this much to me and sent me such sweet and real snaps and brought up serious matters like forever or marriage or kids to me. It had to be real if he was saying it right? Why else would a guy bring up those things if they were not serious? Wrong. I had to learn the hard way that just because guys said serious things which I have never had a guy say to me before, which was a whole nother level of disrespect, does not mean he is being genuine or those desires will withstand time in the longterm.

Weeks went by. I started working hours during finals week. I was writing papers everyday, submitting a take home test for my applied calculus class and texting Zayaan how relieved I felt after submitting it. During work study, I wrote so many papers and got them in. I wrote like five papers it felt like. Catching up on the papers was a lot of work. And I snapped them and showed them to Zayan. 

I was getting all my work done, eagerly waiting for the day when I would finally see Zayaan again as a reward! I could not wait! I was working hard in school.

He was too. We were bothing doing premed at the time.

I remember once we were texting and I was telling him how I felt behind since most people took both chemistry and biology together which is too much and i was only taking chemistry and struggling  I had so much work to catch up on. He snapped me all of the books he was studying.

He texted me, "I am behind too but I am trying". I admired him. I honestly that he had all his together at the time. I thought he was smart. But years later I realized it was just a front and I overestimated him and his abilities. Little did I know that he would drop out and I would graduate on time despite all of my struggles and become successful.