Chapter 31

Looking for Love

After communication with someone, Zayaan starts driving off somewhere else. I have no idea where we are going. So many places in one day.

He parks his car in the front of someone's house. It honestly looks kind of old fashioned like in the middle of nowhere but cool. I feel like New Jersey is surprsingly more rural than I thought.

Their muslim Pakistani friend Mohaib greets us. He is super tall and has curly hair. I am honestly surprised that he is Pakistani given his hair texture. It feels like the hair of African Americans. Like a bit curly, and nappy. I remember having a Pakistani friend that had hair like that too. It would look straight when he put oil in it but then turn into an afro when it was dry. It was very interesting how his hair was so versatile. He said that he was only allowed to marry within his tribe and that his tribe was super diverse. I found him cute. I wonder if Mohaib was from a similar tribe.

Mohaib greeted me and  we did not go inside. He had us sit in his backyard in a circle.

"Wanna start a campfire?" he asks.

"Let us do it!" they said so normally. I did not realize how normal it was to start campfires in your own backyard in New Jersey.

They put some wood together in this thing and lit it up. It was super warm. I was surprised that it had gotten cold already in this time of year. 

Zayaan takes off his y black jacket and insists I put it on. "You'll get cold!" he does not let me protest and puts the black jacket on me. I am already wearing his red sweater and now on top of that, his black sweater too. I am wearing like all his stuff. I feel so bulky because its so big on me. He is so sweet taking off his own clothes and putting it on me to make sure I do not get cold awe.

We are sitting around the campfire and talking. Mohaib takes out a cigarette and starts smoking it. 

"Do you want some?" he asks.

"No, my girl doesn't smoke" Zayaan seems protective over me and puts his arm around me as he says that. It is kind of cute and hot at the same time how he did that. At the time, I liked how protective over me he was. But now I honestly just cringe. Yes a guy can be protective over you which is sweet. But does that mean he respects you? I do not know if the two are the same thing. I am not some innocent little thing that he can be protective over like that. How does he know I never smoked. Did he even ask? It really annoys me now that I look back on it. I do not think I ever want a guy to ever do that to me again. To think he knows me and that I am so simple. Never will I mistake protectiveness as sweet ever again. More like disrespect.

Arhaam does not buy it, "She lowkey seems like she wants to smoke and like she did it before". I love that guy. At the time, he intimidated me but looking back at it, I feel like he saw me for who I was. He seemed skeptical of me. But I feel like he saw me as a real person, not just some innocent thing and I appreciate it now.

"It might get on her clothes right" someone says, I can not remember. It might have been Mohaib.

Zayaan responded, "Well, she is wearing all my clothes basically" as if he was so proud of that. What am I? An object??