Four

Things I Never Knew I Wanted

They walked to the dorm room, and Key was pleased to find that the door was locked, like he’d told Taemin to do. He did notice that the number plate on their door was missing, but he dismissed it as being the doings of the weird guys down the hall. He unlocked the door, and they entered the room.

“Taemin-ah?” Key called. There was no answer. Key walked in and looked around, and Taemin was nowhere to be found. “I guess he’s at class. Who knew the brat actually studied? Well, nothing to do here, I guess.” Key walked over to his bed and tripped over a screwdriver he hadn’t noticed before. Taemin owned stuff that couldn’t be explained, Key figured.

“Well, should we just chill until your next class then?” Jonghyun asked.

“Sure,” Key said, but suddenly they heard the door being unlocked once again. Key cursed Taemin mentally for ruining his time alone with Jonghyun.

But it wasn’t Taemin that came in. Or at least, it wasn’t Taemin who came in first. A tall guy with black hair, wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt entered, and to Key and Jonghyun’s surprise, Taemin was on his back, pale as snow.

This is his room?” the guy said. Key thought that he looked a little familiar. He also slightly resembled a frog, but a fairly good looking frog at that.

“Yes. What happened?” Key asked.

“I think it was an asthma attack. He was playing basketball with us and he suddenly started wheezing. Lucky he had an inhaler with him, but I figured since he was a little lightheaded it would be best to bring him back here.”

“Taemin-ah! You were playing basketball? You should know that you shouldn’t exercise after having an asthma attack, another one is bound to happen!” Key reprimanded.

“Sorry, hyung,” Taemin said weakly. “But Minho-hyung took good care of me.”

“Call me…oh, never mind,” Key said, looking back at Jonghyun. “So who are you?”

“Choi Minho,” the stranger said.

“I’m—”

“Kim Key. I know. You and I are the same age,” Minho said in a monotone. Key eyed him warily but continued.

“This is my hyung, Kim Jonghyun,” Key said as he introduced Jonghyun.

“Nice to meet you,” Minho said. “Who’s this kid?” he asked, pointing to Taemin. “I just know him by Taemin-ssi.”

“This is Lee Taemin, and he should not have been playing basketball. What were you thinking, Taemin-ah?”

“But Minho-hyung made it look like so much fun, I wanted to play too! And he’s so good, but he doesn’t even play for varsity. Why not, hyung?”

“It’s because of—” Minho began, in a somewhat irritated manner, but was rudely interrupted by Key.

“Put him on his bed,” Key instructed, pointing out Taemin’s bed to Minho. “Taemin-ah, do you need your inhaler again?”

“No, it’s okay, hyung,” Taemin said.

“Twice in one day,” Jonghyun said. “You’re unlucky, Taemin-ssi.”

“No,” Taemin said with a hint of a smile. “I’m not unlucky.”

“Just unlucky that it happened a second time. The first time had nothing to do with luck, did it, Taemin-ah?” Key said accusingly. Taemin looked surprised suddenly.

“That’s not what I meant,” Taemin replied.

“Oh, wasn’t it? You mean, you didn’t make this happen on purpose like you did this morning?” Key said, raising his voice. “You mean you’ve been being perfectly honest with everything today?”

“Hey, don’t talk to him like that!” Minho said. “Can’t you see he’s weak?”

“It’s his own damn fault!” Key cried. “He’s doing this just for kicks!”

“No, he’s not, he legitimately wanted to play basketball with us, and it caused an attack!” Minho shouted back.

“How do you know? How does anyone know what this kid really wants?” Key yelled. “He’s just doing everything and anything he wants for his own personal gain and I have to put up with it, and what’s more—” Jonghyun had come between Minho and Key, who looked like they were about to make it a fistfight.

“What’s going on?” Jonghyun asked, looking into Key’s eyes with his deep black ones.

“Nothing,” Key said, turning his head, realizing how silly he would sound if he told the truth. Jonghyun turned to Taemin.

“What’s going on, Taemin-ssi?” he asked again.

“I…” Taemin stuttered. Taemin looked at Key, at Jonghyun, and back and forth before finally resting his gaze on Key. “I’m just a brat who always wants my way.”

“Yah,” Minho said. “Don’t say that. You’re not a brat, Taemin-ssi.”

“No, hyung, it’s true. I just want a lot of stuff.” Taemin smiled at Minho. “And if you want you can speak more comfortably with me. You too, Jonghyun-hyung. Key-hyung already does.” Jonghyun and Minho both smiled, but Key thought there was something amiss. Sure, maybe Taemin could get Key to give him ramyeon. He could get Key to share his bed. He could even get Key to let him be called hyung. But then what was his goal with the asthma attack? Nothing seemed to have stemmed from it, nothing yet, at least, and that made Key all the more suspicious of his roommate. Key decided to keep his mouth shut though, because Minho was still glaring at him.

“Let’s leave them to sort this out, Minho-ssi,” Jonghyun said, giving Key a sweet smile as they left the room.

“No, wait,” Key said, but Jonghyun had already left. Minho stayed behind briefly, looking at Taemin, who was falling asleep again. He turned to Key.

“Don’t talk to him like you just did,” he said menacingly.

“I’m your sunbae,” Key said, appalled at the way Minho was addressing him.

“I’m serious. You think you’re so special, don’t you, Almighty Key?Well, you aren’t. Don’t you see you don’t have any friends? Lose the attitude; it’s just annoying us all.” With that, he left the room haughtily. Who is he to talk to me like that? Key wondered angrily. He already didn’t like this Minho guy. First siding with Taemin, and now threatening Key; Key didn’t like it at all. He glared at the sleeping Taemin and lost his temper all over again.

“Wake up, loser,” Key said, kicking Taemin hard on the arm. Taemin woke with a start.

“Owww, hyung, that hurt! Why did you kick me?” he asked, rubbing his arm.

“You deserve it. I know you’re a brat. But what’s your motive? Ramyeon? A nice warm bed? Explain why you caused the asthma attack.”

“You’ll see,” Taemin said with an innocent smile. “But ramyeon would be good too.”

“Why of all people did I get stuck with you?”

“Maybe it was fate, hyung.”

“Well screw fate then; I can’t wait until your precious Onew-hyung gets back and I can finally be rid of you. If I don’t kill myself before then.”

“I like hyung.”

“I don’t like you,” Key said.

“I know. You like Jonghyun-hyung better.”

“What? Of course I like him better; he’s not—”

“You know what I mean,” Taemin interrupted. “See, hyung? You’re getting red!” Key put his hands to his hot face and rushed over to the mirror. He was getting red. Taemin giggled. “Anyway, hyung, I’m just trying to be friends with you, I don’t mean any harm.” Key found that hard to believe, but he didn’t say anything. Jonghyun, Key thought. Meeting him today wasn’t unlucky. Key smiled in spite of himself.



 

A/N: Welcome Minho! Yay. So yeah cool stuff. I'm excited for the upcoming chapters, I think you guys will like them based on what you've been saying ♥

@HappyMonster: Omo, intrigue! You’ll see~ Thanks for reading as always <3

@1412Bunny: Thank you! Taemin is quite sneaky, as you shall discover :)

@KOBRAKID: Jongkey is <3 Thanks for reading!