One

Things I Never Knew I Wanted

“This is Lee Taemin-ssi,” the man said. “He’s in your care now.”

“Why do I have to take care of him?” Key asked, pouting at the kid in front of him. “Can’t he take care of himself?” He did look like a child though.

“Taemin-ssi has frail health and needs someone to live with while he’s in university who can take care of him. You are the only certified paramedic in this dormitory, which is the closest one to most of his classes; therefore he is in your care.” Key frowned, and Taemin looked up at him questioningly.“Well, good luck, Taemin-ssi, Key-ssi. Here are Taemin-ssi’s papers; I would look through them, Key-ssi, if I were you,” the man said. “If you need me, go to the main office and ask for Shin Jongwoon-ssi.”

“Thank you, sunsaengnim,” Taemin said as Shin walked out the door. He turned to Key. “Sorry to impose, hyung.”

“Don’t call me hyung, we’re not familiar enough. Call me sunbaenim,” Key spat.

“Sorry to impose, sunbaenim,” he said more quietly, looking at Key with wide eyes. Key glared. This kid was cute. Really cute. But nothing compared to Key himself, who made both girls and boys go crazy because of his good looks. He flipped through Taemin’s papers. He was seventeen years old internationally, with a history of asthma and anemia. Nothing Key couldn’t handle.

“So what are you, a high school student taking classes here?” Key asked. Key himself was a sophomore, but Taemin looked much younger.

“No, but I skipped a grade in middle school so I’m ahead now. I’m a freshman here,” Taemin said. “Um, sunbaenim, which bed is mine?” he asked, pointing to the beds, both of them looking slept in. Key sighed, annoyed. He surveyed the beds, deciding which one Taemin would sleep in.

“That one,” he said, pointing to the messier one. “You can sleep in it like that or you can redo the sheets yourself. But don’t put my pillows on the floor.” Key turned to sit at his desk and study, but Taemin just stood there. “What?” Key asked.

“Hyung…thank you,” Taemin said.

“Call me sunbaenim,” Key warned.

“Thank you, sunbaenim,” Taemin repeated, sniffling as tears fell from his eyes.

“Whoa, wait, why are you crying?” Key said spastically, hopping up from his chair. “Don’t cry, stop crying, I hate it when people cry.”

“It’s just that, hyung is so nice to me!”

“IT’S SUNBAENIM,” Key cried, and Taemin started bawling.

“Sunbaenim…is…so nice…to me…” he said through his tears. What is going on? Key wondered. The kid was crying but at the same time being grateful to Key, even though Key was purposefully trying to give him a hard time. What?

“Just…be quiet, okay? Stop crying, I have work to do,” Key said, utterly baffled. He took Taemin by the shoulders, steered him towards the messy bed, sitting him down. Key went back to his desk, and though Taemin was still sniffling, he wasn’t making as much of a fuss anymore. He had started studying, and every few minutes, Key could hear furious erasing. Two hours later, Key finally got up from his computer to turn on the lights, as it was getting dark outside and he was having trouble seeing his keyboard. After all, he wanted some instant ramyeon too. He glanced over at Taemin, and saw that he was fast asleep on his biology textbook. He couldn’t decide whether to wake up the kid, which would be mean, or eat the ramyeon by himself, which would also be mean. He decided to let the kid sleep, because then at least he didn’t have to share his ramyeon.

Key’s plans were foiled, however, because as soon as he reopened the top of the ramyeon and let the tantalizing smell escape the cup, Taemin woke up right away.

“Hyung, can I have some?” he asked, scrambling over. Key opened his mouth, but Taemin corrected himself right away. “Sunbaenim, can I have some?” He made an adorable face, as if to plead to Key using his eyes.

“I don’t have any more,” Key said, turning his nose up haughtily.

“But I found tons of them under my bed!” Taemin said, hopping over to his bed and pointing at the bulk packages of instant ramyeon, previously hidden by the bed skirt. Key sighed. Nobody was ever able to make Key lose his cool, but this kid was doing a pretty good job so far.

Fine, just take one then,” Key said exasperatedly.

“Thank you!” Taemin said. Three minutes later, Taemin was consuming his ramyeon, and he ate it in a way that even Key couldn’t help but say was adorable. Taemin’s face was still a little puffy from being asleep, and he still had a big red mark on his face where it had been against the desk. He had a smile on his face as he ate the ramyeon, and he hummed a happy little tune to show how yummy he thought it was. Key watched him in wonder. Who is this kid? Key asked himself. He decided to go back to his work before Taemin caused him to be nice.

It was a few hours later and Key and Taemin were getting ready to sleep. Taemin wore a t-shirt that was far too large for him and blue pajama pants patterned with Keroro.

“Aren’t you like seventeen years old internationally?” Key asked. “Shouldn’t you be wearing something less childish?”

“This is childish?” Taemin asked. “But I like it!” He looked at Key’s gray wife-beater and black pants. “Should I wear something more like yours? Do you have anything I can borrow?”

“No, you cannot borrow my clothes,” Key said. “Just go to bed.”

“Okay, hyung.”

“Sunbaenim,” Key corrected him.

“Okay, sunbaenim,” he said. Key turned off the lights and climbed into his bed, and Taemin did the same. Taemin hadn’t even bothered to redo his sheets. Key closed his eyes and tried to sleep, but Taemin kept shuffling around in his bed.

“Stop fidgeting,” Key hissed.

“Hyung, I’m cold,” Taemin said.

“It’s sunbaenim. And too bad, I don’t have any other blankets.”

“Sunbaenim, I’m cold,” Taemin repeated.

“I just told you, I don’t have any other blankets,” Key said.

“I’m cold though.”

“There’s nothing I can do about it! Why can’t you understand?” Key cried angrily. “Let me sleep!”

“H-hyung,” Taemin said. Key opened his mouth again, but Taemin continued. “Onew-hyung.”

“What?”

“I miss Onew-hyung.”

“Who?”

“Nobody, hyung, you don’t want to talk to me,” Taemin said through chattering teeth.

“Sunbaenim,” Key said, full of curiosity even though he wished he wasn’t. “Just tell me who this dude is. I’ll listen.”

“I’m cold.”

“What do you want me to do then? I seriously don’t have any other blankets and I’m sure as hell not going to give you mine, because then I’ll be cold too.”

“Onew-hyung let me sleep with him when I was cold.”

“I’m not Onew-hyung,” Key said, though he was starting to see where this was going. “Come on, just tell me who he is.”

“I’m too cold,” Taemin said. Key heaved a sigh.

“Fine. Bring your blanket.”

“Yay!” Taemin cried. He hopped into Key’s bed and snuggled up into both blankets.

“Thanks, hyung, ah, I mean, thanks, sunbaenim!”

“Okay now, hurry up and tell me who this guy is so I can sleep before I change my mind about letting you in my bed.”

“Onew-hyung…he was like my appa.”

“What happened to him?”

“He’s studying abroad right now. That’s why I’m with you next semester.”

“You said he was like your appa? How long did you know him?”

“Oh, I lived with him ever since my parents died, so…” he counted on his fingers. “I guess it’s almost seven years now.”

“Your parents…I’m sorry,” Key said, in a sudden bout of kindness. “So that’s why you’re here.”

“Yup, but it’s okay; it’s been a long time. I don’t really remember much from before then because of the amnesia from the accident. I hit my head!” he giggled, pointing at his head.

“I can tell,” Key said, going back to being his diva-like self. “So when the semester is over you go back to him, right?”

“Yeah,” Taemin said. “I go back to appa!”

“Excellent. So I have to last until May with you. It’s the beginning of January. Oh boy,” Key sighed.

“Thanks for taking care of me, hyung,” Taemin yawned, snuggling closer to Key.

“It’s sunbaenim,” Key said, but Taemin had fallen asleep.


This is what is all over Taemin's pajama pants. Keroro~

A/N: Hooray, first chapter! I already have so many subscribers, thank you! I hope you guys all enjoy this story. 

I'm gonna try to respond to all comments so here goes~

@butterflybabe13: Ah yes, Jongkey heals all. I'm glad you like it so far! Please keep reading :)

@christina94: I hope the angst is satisfactory for you...it's more towards the end so I hope you stay on until then ㅋㅋㅋ

@HappyMonster: Thank you for reading!

@kawaiikimbap: I'm so glad! I hope you like it :)

@FudgeBox: Aw, thank you! I love you too ㅋㅋㅋ

Next update coming on...Sunday? Or is next Monday better?

♥ Exie