Twenty

Things I Never Knew I Wanted

            Several days went by without Taemin waking up. The doctors were in and out, and Key was by Taemin’s side for as long as he could be. He skipped his classes that week, and his teachers were very understanding. But it was hard for Key, sitting there every day, seeing Taemin’s hair still bloodied, his pale skin starting to turn slightly gray. And the tubes sticking out of his mouth were almost sickening if you looked at them for too long.

            Minho had a difficult time coming in and out of the hospital room. He didn’t like seeing Taemin in his comatose state, because he felt guilty about it. He tearfully told Key a few days after the accident that if he had just been a little quicker, he may have been able to catch him and prevent it. He ended up coming in about ten times a day, but only staying for five to fifteen minutes every time before his mind forced him to leave. Key tried to convince him to stay longer, but it was to no avail.

            Yeeun had recovered well from the shock, and she came in every morning with a lily to put by Taemin’s bedside. She also brought Key meals twice a day, and even though he could barely touch them most of the time, it was a nice gesture. She’d sit with Key in the mornings and pat his back before she left, reassuring him that Taemin would come to very soon. He wanted to believe her.

            Jonghyun sat with Key whenever he didn’t have class or rehearsal, which unfortunately wasn’t very often. Key was grateful for the loving kisses he got whenever Jonghyun did show up, though, because they were revitalizing, like resuscitation for his soul. And Jonghyun and Chansung generously let Key stay in their room every night. Key hated his empty room more than he ever did before, because this time, Taemin wasn’t gone of his own accord.

            But the worst thing was when Key was cleaning the room before he moved into Jonghyun’s. He’d opened Taemin’s nightstand drawer, the one that Taemin had forgotten to clear out when he left, and found a collection of items that made him want to cry. Firstly, Taemin’s frog book was in the drawer. But more importantly, the mysterious screwdriver that Key had tripped over so many months before was in the drawer, accompanied by several number plates that looked just like the ones on the dorm room doors. They were all labeled with 400s. And there was a large “Level 4” sign in the drawer as well, just like the ones in the stairwell of the dorm that mark which floor you’re on. There was also a small crumpled up piece of paper. Key unfolded it, and there were a few notes scribbled in Taemin’s handwriting. “Kim Jonghyun” one of the bullet points said, “406, gym in morning” and “asthma” said another, and “Key-hyunggie sunbaenim needs him” said the last.

            Key became teary. Had Taemin planned for Jonghyun to miss the stairs? Or, not miss them at all. He deliberately took measures for Jonghyun to go onto the wrong floor. It explained the missing number plate on their door. It also explained why Taemin had been awake at an hour he was usually asleep. How had he done it? It didn’t seem like it was something he could have done the night they met. Had he actually been planning for several days before they met? Was his “manipulation” of Key all just to get him to make friends?

            Even considering how unbelievable it was, Key believed it with all his heart. He suddenly felt another rush of affection for Taemin and decided to go see him that very moment.

            “Taeminnie,” Key said when he got there. “Taeminnie, are you awake yet?” Key of course got no answer. “I just wanted to say thank you for tricking Jjong into coming in our room that first morning. I was so angry at you that whole week, and now I realize that you were just trying to help me. Thank you, Taeminnie. Do you hear me?” Once again, his answer was the beeping of the machines in the room. Key sighed. “I brought your book about frogs. Do you want me to read it to you? I’ll read it to you.”

            Key began reading. Once he noticed fat teardrops falling on the pages, he realized he probably shouldn’t have brought the book. He remembered the first morning as Taemin’s roommate, finding Taemin sitting on the floor, reading this exact page in his Keroro pajama pants. Despite his sobs, he continued reading out loud to Taemin. Just when it seemed to be too much, Minho appeared in the room.

            “Key-yah? Are you okay?” Minho asked, looking at him. “Oh, you’re reading his frog book. Do you want me to finish it for you?” Key nodded, handing the book over to Minho, who continued where Key had left off.

            “…and the frog life cycle begins again,” he concluded.

            “Thanks,” Key mumbled, wiping the tears off of his face.

            “You’re welcome. It’s good of you to sit here with him all the time…since I can’t,” Minho sighed. Key noticed he had hardly looked at Taemin since he’d entered the room.

            “It’s the least I can do,” Key replied. Suddenly, they were interrupted by a knock on the door. The nurse peeked her head in.

            “Kim Key-ssi? There’s someone here to see Taemin-ssi, shall I let him in?”

            “Who is it?” Key asked, tears still swimming in his eyes.

            “Lee Jinki-ssi,” the nurse responded. The name wasn’t familiar to Key, but he figured if he knew that Taemin was here he must be one of Taemin’s friends. He looked at Minho, who had a similarly confused look on his face.

            “Let him in,” Key responded. The nurse opened the door fully and a man entered the room. He was medium height, probably a little taller than Key but definitely shorter than Minho. He had brown hair and a plain face, nothing special.

            “Uh, hello,” Key said, standing up and bowing. “My name is—”

            “Kim Key, yes. I’m Lee Jinki. How is he doing?” the guy asked.

            “I’m Choi Minho. Sorry, but who are you exactly?” Minho asked. The guy looked confused.

            “You mean Taemin didn’t tell you about me?” he asked sadly. “Oh…well, I was his old roommate, and we’re basically—”

            “Wait, you’re Onew-appa?” Key asked. The guy smiled in spite of himself, and when the grin appeared on his face, suddenly he became good-looking. His eyes became merry little lines and his smile seemed like it would brighten up the whole room. Key thought Zhou Mi’s smile had been dazzling, but this guy’s could definitely give it a run for its money.

            “Yeah, I’m Taemin’s Onew-appa,” he replied, looking affectionately at Taemin. “He and I are practically family. Uh…how’s he doing?”

            “Not great,” Key replied. “They say he might not…might not m-make it.” Onew looked sad, but didn’t cry.

            “That’s what they said after the accident too, but he recovered well after that. Anyway, once he wakes up, I’m going to take him back.”

            “What?” Key cried. “Even if he does wake up, please, please, I don’t want to lose him a third time. Please!”

            “Your relationship with him has really progressed since I last talked to him I guess,” Onew said.

            “I…please…” Key stuttered.

            “He’s treated him really well,” Minho said. “He really looks out for Taemin.”

            “Oh…how do you know Taemin?” Onew asked Minho.

            “I’m his boyfriend,” Minho said proudly. Key noted that for the first time, it didn’t make him cringe to think about Taemin dating Minho. Onew looked pleased.

            “Thank you two for taking such good care of my son,” Onew smiled. “I feel confident that he’ll recover fully.” Key and Minho exchanged glances. Hadn’t Onew heard what Key had just said? What the doctors had been saying all week? It was unlikely that Taemin was going to make it. This guy had known Taemin for years, why wasn’t he as upset as Minho and Key?

            “Oh yeah,” Onew said, “I brought him this.” He pulled out a large Keroro doll from his backpack. For some reason Key felt like laughing. He knew he shouldn’t laugh at such a time, with Taemin on the brink of death right next to him, but he couldn’t help it. “He loves frogs. Well, I have to go now. Here’s my number, call me when he wakes up.” He put the Keroro doll on the foot of Taemin’s bed.

            “Wait,” Key said quickly. “Weren’t you supposed to come back in May? It’s only the end of March.”

            “How was I supposed to stay in Japan when my son was seriously injured? Anyway, see you guys later. I’ll probably come back tomorrow. Bye!” Just as he was about to open the door, Yeeun appeared, and Onew sort of tripped into her. He caught her so she wouldn’t fall.

            “Ah, Yeeun-ssi! Are you visiting Taemin too?” he asked. Yeeun looked surprised.

            “Yes…Onew-ssi, I thought you were coming back in May. How do you know Taemin?”

            “He was my old roommate before I went to Japan. How do you know him?”

            “I manage the basketball club,” she replied, still taken aback.

            “Taemin plays basketball?”

            “Yes,” she replied. “Or, he used to…” Onew smiled at her.

            “Cheer up, Yeeun-ssi; he’ll be better in no time. Anyway, I have to go, see you!” He stepped out of the room and disappeared. Yeeun looked quite shocked as she walked over to put her daily lily in the vase next to Taemin’s bed.

            “Why didn’t you tell me he came?” Yeeun asked Key.

            “He just showed up like five minutes ago,” Key replied. “Noona, how do you know him?”

            “He’s the one I’ve had a crush on for ages!” she cried, burying her reddening face in her hands.

            “Him?” Minho asked. “But he’s—”

            “Oh, never mind!” she cut him off. “Sorry I’m late, I had stuff to do this morning. But I brought you both some kimbap. It’s not much, but I figured you’d all be hungry.”

            “Thanks, noona,” Minho said.

            “I’m so confused…” Key mumbled. “What’s going on?”

            “I feel like I should be confused too…so, Yeeun-noona liked Onew-ssi, who was Minnie’s roommate before he moved in with Key, right?”

            “Yes,” Yeeun replied.

            “And then Onew-ssi went to Japan so Minnie moved in with Key. But why is Onew-ssi so…happy? Taemin’s like this—” Minho looked at Taemin and then quickly looked away, once again unable to speak. “I think I should go,” he said after a few seconds of silence.

            “I’ll call you if anything happens,” Key said.

            “Bye, noona, bye Key,” Minho said as he left. “Thanks for the food, noona.”

            “You’re welcome, Minho-yah.” Minho disappeared and Yeeun and Key sat in silence for a few minutes. “He’ll get better, you know.”

            “Why do you say that when you know it’s not true?”

            “Why would I say it if I didn’t think it was true?” she replied. She heaved a sigh. “Come on, let’s go back to Jonghyun’s early. Nothing’s going to happen to him tonight.” Key stood up grudgingly and followed Yeeun out the door.

 


 

This is what I mean by Onew looking plain until he smiles and becomes the most handsome man on the planet. 

A/N: Intense! Yeah. I’m thinking this is going to be the last double update because there are only 2 chapters left! Remember to read Persuasion, my darlings!

@vampireme12: We’ll see~

@AmythystJade: Good! I’m glad you like them. 

@ShawolShadow22: Aigoo indeed!

@AsianNoodles: I hope this update was good!

@naznew: Now you know kekeke.

@heme-sanloveminho: Whooo thanks for checking out Persuasion <3

@allison9087: You had the right idea :)

@ladyrhin: He’s explained himself, I hope you can forgive him too.

@AZUMIX: Thanks for the big comment! “I’m so curious” I see what you did there ;P

@maedeh: You’re right :)

@ParadiseWithINFINITE: Update voila!

♥ Exie