Three

Things I Never Knew I Wanted

Key stomped his way to his English lecture, absolutely fuming. All the students were congregated outside the lecture hall, waiting to be told where to sit.

“Welcome, class, I’m Choi Sungwon, your professor for this class. I’ve organized you by alphabetical order first by Romanized family name and then by Romanized given name. Your names are on your seats, please go find them and sit where you’re supposed to.” Key walked in and was one of the first to sit down, still entirely focused on Taemin’s manipulation of him. This kid…he seemed like a kid but then was easily able to get Key, almighty Key, to do whatever he wanted easily enough. He was so angry he barely noticed when someone sat down next to him.

“Oh! It’s you!” Jonghyun said, smiling. Key looked up wildly, having suddenly completely forgotten about Taemin. Key smiled too. “How’s he doing?”

“Who?”

“Your roommate, Lee Taemin-ssi, right?”

“Oh yeah, him. He’s…fine…” Key said almost angrily, but thought better of it. “Thanks for helping,” he smiled.

“It was no problem. If you hadn’t been there I don’t know what I would have done! You seemed to really know what you were doing.”

“I’m paramedic certified. That’s why he’s living with me.”

“You seem to really care about him.”

“What?” Key asked.

“Yeah, it’s nice. I’ve actually heard about you. Almighty Key, that’s what they say. I thought you were cold and heartless but seeing you take care of him, I see that you’re a person just like the rest of us. I’m glad to have met you!”

“I am cold and...I mean, I don’t care that much about him. I only met him yesterday and I just don’t want him to die otherwise Shin-sunsaengnim would kill me.”

“Yesterday?” Jonghyun asked, stretching. Key watched as Jonghyun’s muscles stretched. As he yawned, his jaw line tightened. “You met him yesterday?”

“Yeah,” Key said, feeling the blush creep into his cheeks and up to his ears. He was starting forget what they were talking about, and that was saying something.

“Well, even if you say you don’t care about him, it was fairly obvious that you’re at least treating him pretty well. I like that. I like it when people are good caretakers.”

“Really?” Key asked.

“Yeah,” Jonghyun said, looking into Key’s eyes. Key felt his face getting even hotter. He’s a guy, Key thought. A guy. But seeing the way Jonghyun looked at Key, it didn’t take him long to disregard that fact.

“Well, I’ll be sure to take care of him better from now on,” Key said, not believing that those words came out of his mouth. But Jonghyun smiled flirtatiously, and Key let out a small laugh. The lecture began, and it was exceptionally boring. Key had always been good at English, but it was difficult concentrating when there was a hot guy sitting next to him. On top of that, Key could have sworn that Jonghyun’s foot touched his more than once during the lecture.

As soon as the lecture ended, the class filed out of the room. Key yawned glamorously, and Jonghyun noticed.

“Tired?” he asked.

“Bored. Also I hope Taemin’s not there when I get back. That kid really gets on my nerves.”

“Well, do you want to get lunch somewhere? The lecture was pretty long, aren’t you hungry?” Jonghyun said. Key caught the hint.

“Of course I’m hungry,” Key said slyly.

“So…does kimbap sound good to you?” Jonghyun asked.

“It sounds excellent.” Key ran his fingers through his hair, trying to look attractive to Jonghyun. It was obviously working. The restaurant they went to was small, and crowded. They sat at a cozy table for two. It felt like a date to Key, even though he’d never really been on a proper date. Key and Jonghyun both ate as if it were the most delicious thing in the world.

“So you’re a junior then?” Key asked him. After all, that English lecture was traditionally for juniors, but Key was good at English and got to take the class anyway.

“Yeah, but they put me in the wrong English lecture since I’m no good at English. But I’m not complaining; I get to be in a class with you.” Key blushed again, smiling.

“Let’s hope nobody notices you’re in the wrong class. It’ll be nice having someone I can hang out with for the entire semester. God knows I’ll need it with little Lee Taemin to handle.”

“Why are you taking care of him again? Why isn’t he on his own like the rest of us?”

“He has a history of asthma and anemia. He was staying with some guy called Onew before, but he’s studying abroad now, and as I’m the only certified paramedic in the dorm closest to his classes, I have to take care of him.” Key paused. “He can cause asthma attacks on purpose. I guess it’s exercise induced.”

“Yeah, but why would you want to have an asthma attack on purpose?” Jonghyun laughed. His laugh wasn’t melodic or anything, but it was full of personality and his smile was beautiful when he laughed.

“Why indeed,” Key wondered bitterly. He was lost in thought for a moment, and then Jonghyun interrupted.

“I know you probably hear this a lot,” Jonghyun said, starting to turn red himself, “but you’re really good-looking. I’m sorry, I just had to say it.”

“So are you!” Key said quickly. He wanted to make sure Jonghyun knew what he thought.

“Thanks,” he said, smiling at Key. Key grinned back, and suddenly he felt Jonghyun’s foot against his. Key’s smile grew wider as he kicked Jonghyun back. Their feet fought each other until the waitress came back with their check. She gave them a strange look, and Key embarrassedly put down the money.

“I can pay for it,” Jonghyun said.

“Let’s do half,” Key said. Jonghyun put down his share of the money and the waitress smirked as she took it away.

“Sorry, did I embarrass you?” Jonghyun asked. “I tend to go a little overboard sometimes.” Key couldn’t stay uncomfortable with him.

“No, it’s fine. When is your next class?”

“I have a biology lab at three,” Jonghyun said.

“Ah,” Key sighed. “I have a philosophy lecture at two. I was hoping we’d have a class together again today. It’s been fun.”

“Uh,” Jonghyun said, obviously not wanting to part just yet. “Should I come and check up on Taemin-ssi with you?”

“Sure,” Key smiled. He’d almost forgotten what a little monster Taemin was.

 


 

Dating advice from Jongkey~

A/N: Posted early because I just couldn't wait for everyone to read. Should I just do every four days instead of Sundays and Wednesdays? I think I will.

ANYWAY Jongkey going a little fast? Whatever though it's love at first sight or something kekeke. This one is the second shortest chapter (after Chapter 16) but I think it's a good descriptive chapter if anything. Yup that's about it for this chapter I suppose...

 

@HappyMonster: Hehehehe. This is why I feel like I need to have a chapter (or…several chapters) from Taemin’s perspective. Good idea? Maybe eventually?

@Ineedahugfromyou: Thanks! I love updating but I don't want to do it all the time if you know what I mean. Otherwise it'd be over sooner! :)

@dragonlilly1993: Drama there is! As for harshness, you’ll have to find out in the next chapter :) Thanks for reading!!

@heme-sanloveminho: Taemin has indeed been found out hahaha. And we all know how much Taemin loves frogs. I’m happy you like the story!!

@AsianNoodles: hahaha cute is my thing. I’ll update soon!

@Jongkey4_Life135: KEY-ute. I see what you did there :) I’ll update on Sundays and Wednesdays!

♥ Exie

P.S. Don't forget to visit my tumblr~ I want requests for oneshots/drabbles!!