Sixteen

Things I Never Knew I Wanted

“Jjong, please, open up!” Key cried, banging on the door as if his life depended on it. “Please, please!”

“What is all this noise?” a girl asked, stepping out of her room which was next to Jonghyun’s.

“Sorry,” Key muttered. She looked at him.

“Are you looking for Kim Jonghyun?” she asked.

“Yes!” Key cried.

“Well, he should be at choir practice now,” she replied. Key slouched. She was right, Jonghyun had said something about choir practice. “In fact, I should probably go there too…I’m already late. Do you want me to tell him you were looking for him?”

“Sure, I’m—”

“Kim Key. I know,” she said with a smile. “I’m Park Yeeun. I’ll tell him you were looking for him.” Key thanked her and returned downstairs. Taemin had gotten dressed and had all his hair tucked up into a cute blue hat.

“Was he there?”

“No, he had choir practice,” Key replied. “What if I keep missing him?”

“When does he finish?”

“I don’t know, I forgot to ask him and then I didn’t ask Yeeun-sunbae when she was telling me where he was…”

“Why don’t you wait for him? He can’t be longer than a few hours at most, right?”

“Do you think I should?”

“Do you want to get back together with him?”

“Of course!”

“Then yes, I think you should. Anyway, umma, I’m going out with my friends from the basketball club, so I’ll see you tonight hopefully.” Taemin picked up his backpack and started for the door. “Fighting, umma!”

“Thanks, Taeminnie.” Key watched Taemin set off and resolved that he would go wait for Jonghyun starting in half an hour.


Barely ten minutes later, he found himself sitting in front of Jonghyun’s door. He knew he wouldn’t be back anytime soon, but he was going to wait anyway. It seemed like ages had passed before someone stopped in front of him. Those shoes were familiar…

“Key-ssi?” Chansung asked. “What are you doing here? Jonghyun’s at choir practice; he won’t be back until about ten forty.” Key looked up at him sadly.

“I need to tell him something really important,” Key told him.

“Should I leave while this important thing is being told?” Chansung asked gingerly. “I can, it’s no trouble. I was deciding whether or not I should go to the basketball club breakfast anyway.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah! Meanwhile, do you want to come inside? It’s kind of sad seeing you sitting there on the floor.”

“Sure,” Key said, getting up. “Thank you.”

“Are you okay?” Chansung asked.

“Hopefully I will be as soon as he gets back,” Key remarked. Chansung looked at him confusedly but didn’t press the issue. He put his things down on his bed and pointed out Jonghyun’s bed for Key to sit on.

“Okay, well, I’m going to run. He should be back within an hour if you want to wait that long.”

“I do. Thanks, Chansung-ssi.”

“Sure. See you later!” he said as he left. Key flopped down on Jonghyun’s bed. It was hard to believe that Key had been sleeping in it that morning. Now he felt almost unwelcome, despite Chansung’s pleasant invitation. He closed his eyes, breathing in the fresh smell of Jonghyun’s soap on his sheets. It was so soothing, how could he ever have forgotten about this…

“Yah,” Jonghyun said. Key jolted awake. How long had he been asleep? “What are you doing in my bed? How did you get in here?”

“I’m sorry Jjong, Chansung let me in, I just wanted to see you again, to explain myself. I’m just going to talk until I feel like I’ve communicated myself fully so please just let me because I have a lot to say.” Jonghyun nodded hesitantly. Key took this as his cue to continue, so he did. “I know I’ve been sort of ignoring you…okay, ignoring you a lot, but honestly I don’t mean to, I just got distracted with Taemin. And I still love you so much. I think I can do this now, I think I’ll be able to concentrate on you more than I concentrate on him, since he’ll be gone a lot now, and I really, really want to be with you. I know I’ll be able to. Please, Jjong, please, just understand what I’m trying to say here.” Jonghyun looked at Key pityingly.

“I understand.”

“I’m sure I can do it, I’m positive, just give me another chance, I promise I won’t let you down again.” Jonghyun sat down next to Key.

“I’ll give you a second chance,” Jonghyun said, speaking carefully. “Make sure you don’t abandon me again though. Please don’t let it happen again.”

“I swear it won’t, I swear,” Key said, half crying and half laughing from sheer happiness. Jonghyun smiled his adorable smile and Key fell in love all over again. He wanted to kiss Jonghyun right then and there, but somehow felt that it would be inappropriate for him to do that, given the situation in which Jonghyun was forgiving him, not the other way around.

Fortunately Jonghyun was thinking along the same lines as Key. He leaned closer to Key and took his plush lips with his own. A kiss had never felt so good. Maybe it was because he knew that he’d almost lost Jonghyun and it was that much better now that he knew he had him back. Or maybe Jonghyun was being more poignant about it today. Key let Jonghyun take the lead, allowing Jonghyun’s tongue in his mouth and letting himself be pushed onto the bed so that Jonghyun was on top of him. Suddenly Jonghyun pulled away and Key pouted at the loss of contact. But Jonghyun moved to lie down next to Key, wrapping his arms around his waist and pulling him into an embrace.

“When Yeeun-noona told me you were looking for me, I swear my heart stopped. I never wanted to let you go. But I thought that once I did, you were gone. I thought you would never be mine again.”

“I wasn’t gone,” Key smiled. “And I’ve been yours since the beginning.” Jonghyun pulled him closer.

“You’re mine, I’m yours,” he whispered. And Key knew it was true.



 

A/N: Shortest chapter of all of them. So I figured I'd put it on a Monday since it's kind of just a filler chapter. You see I couldn't let them be apart for very long at all. Because the breakup is neither the height of the angst nor the focus of this story. Don't worry, there will be more angst and more fluffy goodness! But I hope you're all happy now! 

And don't forget to read Persuasion!

@heme-sanloveminho: Jongkey fighting <3

@xoxoxoxoxo: Yup this angst was pretty short~

@naznew: Tadah!

@maedeh: Thank you!

@vampireme12: Kekekeke~

@LocKeyii: You think so? I didn’t mean to make him creepy at all…eep….

@AZUMIX: Definitively Jongkey, as you can now see :) Taekey is just because of Key-umma.

♥ Exie