Thirteen

Things I Never Knew I Wanted

“Yeoboseyo?”

“Kibum-ah? It’s Jjong!”

“Ah, Jjong,” Key smiled into his cell phone.

“I heard that Taemin was in the hospital yesterday! Is he alright? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I didn’t want to worry you. How did you find out?”

“Oh, well, Chansung’s friend Jinwoon’s roommate is in a class with Taemin, I think. Anyway, that’s how Jinwoon found out, and he told Chansung who told me.”

“Are they gossiping about my Taeminnie?”

“No, I think they knew you were his roommate somehow and told me or something…I don’t know, it’s really confusing even to me. Anyway, how is he?”

“He’s doing fine. He slept a lot yesterday and drank lots of fluids, and today he’s just doing homework.”

“That’s a relief! I don’t want you to have to worry too much about him. Can I come over tonight?”

“Aigoo, yes please! I need something to give me a change of pace,” Key said. “Will you come at five? I can get some food.”

“I’ll bring some, you don’t have to worry. See you soon then!”

“Mm,” Key said. Taemin looked up from his book.

“Was that Jonghyun-hyung?”

“Who else would it be, silly? Oh, Taemin-ah, do you know a guy named Jinwoon?”

“Mm, he’s part of the basketball club!” Taemin sang. Key frowned.

“Isn’t Minho-ssi in that club?”

“Yes, there are lots of hyungs in that club,” Taemin said mordantly.

“Taeminnie, you know I don’t like Minho-ssi.”

“I didn’t say I was hanging out with him.”

“Then why do you know the club members?”

“Well…I was going to ask you about that…”

“About what?” Key asked, casting Taemin a sidelong glance.

“Umma, I want to join the basketball club.” Key laughed, but when he noticed that Taemin was completely serious, he stopped. “Really, umma, it’s not like I’m joining the team or anything, it’s just a club! They’re not very serious; they’re just playing to have fun!”

“Taeminnie, you’re fragile! You’ve already had one asthma attack from playing basketball, and now you’re especially weak. I just don’t think it’s a good idea! Anyway, they’re all so much older than you, it’s not—”

“Umma, besides you, I don’t have any friends! Just let me make friends!” Taemin said. He flashed his big, sad eyes at Key, and Key knew he had to accept somehow.

“Taeminnie. I think it’s going to be really detrimental to your health. I don’t want you playing, but I think it’s okay if you go to their practices and watch.” Taemin thought for a moment, weighing the pros and cons of Key’s proposition.

“Okay. Thank you, umma!” Taemin cried, hugging him.

“Ah, Taeminnie, I just want the best for you,” Key said. “Anyway, Jjong is coming over tonight and he said he’d bring some food, is that okay with you?”

“Mm!”

“Good. Try to finish your homework before he gets here, okay?”

“I’m already done. Can we go outside or something? I’ve been stuck in here ever since we got back from the hospital.” Taemin looked out the window. “Oh no, it’s raining!”

“Yah, Taeminnie, we could go downstairs to the common room, would you like that? We can play table tennis down there.”

“Yes! Yes! Let’s go!” Taemin hopped up and marched out of the room. Key laughed at his adorable roommate and followed him down the stairs.

And of course, as they reached the common room, who should be there but Choi Minho. Key jut out his lower jaw.

“Taeminnie, let’s go back upstairs.”

“Oh, but umma,” Taemin whined quietly. “I’ve been there all weekend, I just want to get out, please, umma, please?” Key didn’t want to say yes, but he didn’t want to refuse either. Unfortunately, he didn’t get to say anything at all because Minho came over as soon as he noticed them.

“Hi, Taemin-ah,” he said with a smile. Taemin beamed back. “Hello, Key-ssi,” he continued scathingly.

“Minho-ssi,” Key muttered.

“Hyung! Guess what! Umma said I could join the basketball club!” Taemin said, jumping up and down.

“Why did you have to get his permission?” Minho asked, glaring at Key.

“I just wanted to, hyung. Be nice to my umma. Anyway, isn’t that great?” Taemin asked, waiting eagerly for Minho’s response. Minho turned and saw this expression on his face.

“It’s great, Taemin-ah! I’m so excited!”

“Me too, hyung! Anyway umma and I came down here to play table tennis, do you want to play with us?”

“No thanks, Taemin-ah, but I’ll watch,” Minho replied, sitting down on a couch and stretching his long legs. Key looked at him suspiciously, but there didn’t seem to be any evil intent, so Key played along. Key and Taemin began their game, though Key was nervous about it. He was never any good at table tennis, and with Minho watching, it would be just Key’s luck for him to mess up.

But for some reason, Key was winning. And it wasn’t just that Taemin was bad, Taemin was awful. It seemed like he was disoriented or something, and Key knew that it probably wasn’t a normal occurrence.

“Taeminnie, we should stop. Are you getting dizzy? Tired?” Key asked, walking over to Taemin. Minho stood up as well.

“No, umma, I’m fine,” Taemin said wildly. Key stared at him.

“Are you sure? Do you want to play a different game, maybe?”

“No, let’s keep playing, umma!” Taemin cried. Key pouted, but shook his head and went back to his side of the table. But Taemin didn’t get any better at the game. Key noticed his face getting red and knew suddenly that Taemin had a fever.

“Taeminnie, really, sit down. I’m going to go get you a drink, you stay here with Minho-ssi, okay? Take care of him,” Key warned as he ran off to go get Taemin some water. When he came back, Minho was leaned over Taemin, who was lying down on the couch.

“I don’t think he has a fever,” Minho remarked.

“Of course he does, look, his face is all red and he’s disoriented,” Key scoffed.

“No, really, feel his forehead.” Key put his hands on Taemin’s forehead only to discover that it was a perfectly normal temperature. As Key looked more closely at Taemin’s face, it was easy to notice that only his cheeks were red. Key was perplexed.

“Okay, Taeminnie, just drink this water. Maybe you should be resting some more.”

“So I was right, he doesn’t have a fever?” Minho mocked. Key sneered at him.

“He’s probably getting one, he’s been sick all weekend, if you didn’t know. Although being the nosy brat you are, you probably did.”

“Of course I—” Minho began, but looked at his feet and stopped.

“Of course you what?”

“Nothing,” Minho frowned. Taemin looked slightly concerned, but Key laughed it off.

“So typical,” Key scoffed. Minho stood up suddenly, towering over Key. Key planted his feet as so to assert his ground, but he had to admit that Minho was a little intimidating.

“Hey, what’s going on?” they heard a voice ask. The three boys looked over to see Jonghyun at the foot of the stairs.

“Nothing,” Minho said again, sitting down. Key stood still as Jonghyun approached them.

“Taemin-ah, are you feeling okay?” Jonghyun asked, surveying the situation.

“Yes, hyung, I’m fine,” Taemin said. “What are you doing here?”

“I was on my way to go buy some kimbap. Kibum-ah, do you want to join me?” Jonghyun asked as he observed the venomous glares between Minho and Key.

“Yes, let’s go,” Key said. Jonghyun started to say goodbye to Minho and Taemin, but Key stopped him. “No, Taemin, you’re coming with us. I don’t want you staying with this bad-tempered child.”

“But umma,” Taemin protested.

“No, you’re coming with us, and that’s that.”

“You can’t tell him what to do like that! As much as you’d like to believe it, he’s not your son!” Minho shouted.

“Minho-hyung, it’s okay,” Taemin said cutely. “You’re not bad-tempered. Anyway, I’ll come to basketball club tomorrow at one o’clock, right?”

“Right,” Minho said quietly. “Bye, Taemin-ah.” Key dragged him away from Minho, but it seemed to him that Taemin had gotten significantly heavier. Maybe I should feed him less ramyeon, Key thought, not noticing that Taemin was purposefully dragging his feet.



 

key umma

A/N: Omo, intrigue! We’re coming to my favorite part of this story~

@AZUMIX: Baby Tae~

@vampireme12: Do you think I should write some/all of the chapters again from Taemin’s perspective? Because he is so much more than what we see here but I never wrote it because it’s in Key’s point of view. What do you think?

@SHINee_SuJu_U-KISS: You got ittttt :D I was wondering if anyone would pick that up :)

@ninabulett: Key umma is my favorite~ And you’ll find out about the Minkey thing soon enough!

♥ Exie