Eighteen

Things I Never Knew I Wanted

 

            For several weeks after The Incident, as Key had taken to calling what had happened, Key was miserable. Not even Jonghyun could cheer him up very much. Because Taemin was now sleeping in Minho’s room (Key desperately hoped that Minho remembered that Taemin was still a minor), Key’s room was extremely lonely. Jonghyun slept over once in a while, but it wasn’t the same. To top that, Jonghyun had become increasingly busy since he got a part in the musical that the choir department was putting on. It wasn’t a big part, but it kept him occupied enough to make Key wish he could sing too.

            Because of this, Key became friends with Yeeun. She was nice, and even though she didn’t compare to Jonghyun in any way, she was pleasant to hang out with.

            She was also the manager of the basketball club, which caused some uncomfortable situations for Key. He made the mistake of going to one of their practices one day while he waited for Jonghyun to finish rehearsal. He received nasty glares from the entire team, except for Taemin, who wouldn’t even look at him. Key was relieved when the practice drew to a close.

            “Great practice today, guys, you really played with intensity. Minho-yah, I keep telling you to try out for varsity. You’re good enough to play for them and you have the time, why don’t you?”

            “I already told you a million times, Yeeun-noona, that I can’t play for varsity,” Minho said calmly. He turned to glare at Key. Key was taken aback. He’d never seen a glare so full of murderous intent, not even when Key took Taemin away. What?

            “Alright, whatever you say. Anyway, good job. You’ll do great at the next game.” She clapped Jinwoon on the back and walked over to Key and sat down beside him.

            “I’m sorry you had to come with me. They seem really angry,” Yeeun said sadly.

            “Yeah, well, you know the story. And I guess it’s sort of my problem and their prerogative, right?”

            “I guess…”

            “Noona, what do I do? I feel so alone.”

            “Well, you have me and Jonghyun. And I’m sure Taemin will come around sooner or later. Don’t worry about it, Key-yah. You’ll be fine.”

            “I hope you’re right.”

            “Do you want to go get some jjajangmyun? That might make you feel better. We can get away from these beasts,” she said with a laugh.

            “Sure,” he sighed. “Ah, noona, nothing feels the same anymore.”

            “Come on, Key-yah, let’s go pick up Jonghyun and we’ll treat him to noodles, okay? That will cheer you up.” Key smiled weakly. Yeeun was nice, and it was good of her to hang out with Key, a sophomore. But she wasn’t Jonghyun. And she wasn’t Taemin.

            “Good news!” Jonghyun cried when they located him after his rehearsal. “I have all afternoon off today!”

            “Excellent!” Yeeun smiled. “We’re treating you to jjajangmyun today.”

            “Wonderful.” Jonghyun took Key’s hand and immediately warmth spread through Key’s body. Jonghyun could make him feel happier in an instant just by holding his hand. He wasn’t completely transformed, but at least he wasn’t moping anymore.

            When they arrived at the restaurant, Yeeun gracefully gave Key and Jonghyun some time alone, claiming she needed to go to the bathroom and touch up her makeup. That gave them a good ten minutes.

            “Yeobo, you seem really down,” Jonghyun said, playing with Key’s slender fingers.

            “Jjong, it’s just not the same anymore. I used to be fine with being alone. I didn’t have any friends and I didn’t care. I was untouchable. It didn’t used to matter. Why does it hurt so much now when one person has left me?”

            “Because you’re becoming a better person,” Jonghyun said simply. “Being untouchable…it may seem nice for a while, but being alone is lonely. That’s the definition. You have friends now, you have me and Yeeun-noona, and I’m sure Taemin will wake up one day. I bet he misses you now; he just doesn’t want to show it. Anyway, Kibum, I love the new you. When you were ‘untouchable’ it was so annoying because…I mean, I had a crush on you for ages before we met.”

            “What? Really? But then…”

            “No, the day I came into your room really was an accident,” he laughed. “I could have sworn your door said 406, but I guess that’s silly. But yeah. I did.”

            “Why didn’t you tell me before now?” Key asked, blushing furiously. This was a nice revelation.

            “It just never came up until now. I mean, how often do we talk about when you were a brat?” Jonghyun laughed.

            “But how did you know me?”

            “Everyone knows you, pabo. You’re Kim Key, remember? Untouchable, Almighty Key.”

            “You know, if it was anyone but you saying this, it would sound like you were insulting me.” Jonghyun looked affronted.

            “No, no, I’m just reminding you. Even at your worst, people still like you. I liked you even though you were way out of my league.”

            “I wasn’t out of your league.”

            “Yeah you were, you were out of everyone’s league, including mine and Yeeun-noona’s and definitely Taemin’s. As much as I hate to admit it, I think he’s the one who changed you for the better, and he deserves some thanks.”

            “I liked you before I liked him,” Key grinned for the first time in hours. This made Jonghyun go red and smile bashfully.

             “Really? Kibum…” Jonghyun sighed as he planted a sweet kiss on Key’s lips. “You know, everything will be fine. You’re strong right? You can handle it.”

            “You’re right.”

            “He’s right,” Yeeun said, reappearing. “So did you order the jjajangmyun yet?”

            “Noona, Jjong had a crush on me for a long time before we met!” Key said excitedly. Yeeun laughed.

            “We’re talking about crushes? I have one too,” she said.

            “Who? Who?” Key asked.

            “Not telling,” she teased. “But he’s a senior.”

            “Yah, I barely know anyone from my own grade, how am I supposed to guess seniors?”

            “That’s the point, Key-yah, you’re not,” she giggled. “Anyway let’s get some food. I’m starving and I have to be back soon.”

            They ate the jjajangmyun as if it were the last food on Earth, and they left the restaurant in considerably better spirits than they had been in when they arrived. Yeeun left them when she saw one of her friends on the quad, so Key and Jonghyun were left alone once again.

            That afternoon, Jonghyun let Key make him watch his favorite drama again, and by the time evening had fallen upon them, Key was content again, thanks to Jonghyun.  

            “Jjong, you’re wonderful, you know that?” Key said as he walked Jonghyun up the stairs to his room.

            “Aw, Kibum,” Jonghyun muttered, running his hands through his hair embarrassedly.

            “No, really, Jjong, you—” Key’s ringtone interrupted them. He put up his finger cutely and answered his phone. “Yeoboseyo?”

            “Hello, are you Lee Taemin-ssi’s guardian?”

            “Uh, yes…” Key said.

            “This is Jung Aerin from the University Hospital. We need you to come right away, Lee Taemin-ssi has had an accident.”

            “Wh-what? I-is he okay? What happened?”

            “He was somehow pushed down the stairs and hit his head. Usually—” the woman began, but Key dropped the phone. He was vaguely aware of Jonghyun picking it up and talking to the woman on the other end, but four words resonated in his mind: pushed down the stairs.

 


 

A/N: That was one intense double update. I regret giving it to you all at once but...whatever. Don't forget to read Persuasion! I'm officially updating it this Saturday so hooray for that. After that, the updates will get more frequent...it's just that chapter 2 of Persuasion has a spoiler for chapter 20 of Things I Never Knew I Wanted so I don't want to put it up until I've put up chapter 20. Anyway. Yay for double updates. 

@Amythyst Jade: Voila!

@heme-sanloveminho: Yes, but not much. If you want the 2min side of this story, read Persuasion!

@maedeh: He was :(

@babu2468: Thanks~ And here you go!

@vampireme12: He’ll be okay :)

@AZUMIX: Yup! Looks like double update is popular so…here it is~

♥ Exie