They don't know me - Minho

Model High [ updating soon ]

I wake up for school each day with the same routine; Alarm goes off, I get up, brush my teeth, wash my face. I put on my uniform and grab my books. I head out to the school yard and sit there during breakfast staring into the sky, honestly wondering where my life is going. When the bell rings I head to each class and sit in the same seat. If there is a window, I sit next to it. Otherwise I'm always sitting somewhere in the back, away from all the commotion.

When the time comes for lunch, I go to the only place where I can get actual peace and quiet, the rooftop. Its a place where no other students are allowed, not even I. But I've made it my escape. I've never gotten caught before and I don't think I ever will. No one pays any attention to me anyways, or if they do, its just meaningless gestures and looks.

I know what they say about me, the whispers I hear when I walk past others. They think I'm some kind of gang member or that I'm some kind of juvenile delinquent. I have no idea where they even get that from. All people do is gossip, talk, create rumors. They have never once approached me and asked me personally who I am and where I come from. Why? Because they aren't interested at all about the real me. They only know what they see on the outside...or at least the think they know.

There is this new girl though. The first time I saw her she didn't look at me the way other people usually do. She didn't judge me. It was an awkward first meeting but it made a small impact on me. I've seen her around sometimes but she never pays attention. Maybe I looked into too much, I don't know.

The principal called me into her office this morning. I have no idea what its about. I guess I'm about to find out.

As I walk into the office there are other students there doing all kinds of things. Some sitting and waiting, some walking around talking and interacting with teachers. I go and tell the secretary that I'm here and she asks me to sit and wait. I go over and sit in an empty seat next to another student, but in the end, they move away from me.

I never get hurt by it. It happens all the time. I'm used to it so usually I just ignore them and continue doing what I was doing. I sighed and looked around. I saw a few other students that were sitting on the other side whispering to each other and glancing back at me. When the secretary told me that the principal was ready for me I got up and headed in, ignoring the students that were watching me. I'm sure they all thought I stole a car something, which I didn't.

I go and inside and greet the principal. "Minho, welcome, have a seat." She says.

I sit down uncomfortably and wait to hear what this is all about.

She gives me a look that I knew didn't mean that I was here for some kind of reward or anything.

"Minho, how are you doing?" She asks me politely.

"Um, I'm good. How are you?" I reply.

"I'm doing good. But how are you really doing?" She asks me again as if I lied the first time.

"I'm fine." I repeat myself.

She leans forward and rests her elbow on her desk, intertwining her hands together and stares at me. "You know winter break is approaching. Have you any plans?"

I shook my head. "Mm no, not really."

She got quiet for a moment and just sat there and looked at me.

"Okay, I'll cut to the chase. Have you at all spoken to your parents since summer?" She bluntly asks.

She hit a spot. I bit my onto my lower lip and started fiddling with my fingers. My eyes wander everywhere but to her eyes. "No."

She sighed, "Minho, how long are you going to keep this up? You can't avoid them forever you know. You've got to give them a chance."

"I'm fine Mrs. C, you don't have to worry." I said to her.

"Well you can't stay here every holiday. You should go home, after-all it'll be Christmas. You have a older brother that'll be going home too don't you? It'll be a good time to catch up and spend time with each other." She tried to convince me.

"We're not close, there won't be any catching up. I'm just going to stay here and catch up on my studies." I told her.

She leaned back. "Minho, you're straight A student. What more studying do you need?" She paused for a moment and stared at me. She took a deep breath, looked down and leaned her arms back onto her desk. "You know......you can't blame yourself for what happened.'

I looked away and swallowed my saliva hard then looked back at her. "That's none of your business..."

She took that as a sign to drop the subject. "Alright then, so you're just going to stay here and study?"

"That's the plan." I replied.

"Okay then, just, if you need anything feel free to let me know. You have my personal contact." She said.

"I know." I nodded.

"You may leave now."

I got up and took my bow then left the room. Another set of students were outside of the office and gave me looks as I walked out into the hallway. I made my way to the rooftop quickly and stood on the edge looking out into the open fields. One of the reasons I love to stand up here is for this view alone. There is no city, the school is located in a place that's pretty much off the map, but the scenery of all the trees and grass and the smell of the air is the most calming thing in the world.

I in all my pain and tears that wanted to be let out and erased them in one deep breath.

 


 

It was Christmas break, everyone wandered the halls like maniacs trying to pack up and leave for the week. I just sat in my room alone. I don't have a roommate, since the beginning I was always by myself. I had hoped no one would be here as always, but this time, things were different.

The halls were quiet, its was getting late. There wasn't a person on campus, even all the teachers had disappeared to go home to their families. I decided to head to the cafeteria since it was dinner time. There was no one. So I went into the kitchen as I always do and decided to cook myself a meal, which isn't unusual for me; I've done it many times before.

I was minding my own business, getting all my ingredients and what not and started to throw everything into the skillet. The smell was strong which lead ......to her. As I was finishing up everything I heard a voice.

"Hello?" It called in confusion. It was the voice of a girl, I felt as if I recognized that confused voice before. "Hello? Is anyone here?" She called aloud again.

I didn't know how to react and I even froze up a bit, since it was unusual for someone else to be here during a time like this. I didn't answer.

I heard footsteps reaching closer to the entrance of the kitchen.

"Hello?" She said again.

I looked up and turned my head slowly as she came into the room. It was the voice I had recognized. The girl who bumped into me the first day of school...