Chapter 3

For Her

Mako went back to her class as fast as she can to avoid herself from being marked as late. Go thing that when she arrived at her classroom, the teacher has not arrived yet. She went straight to her seat and fix herself up. She can feel that someone is looking at her, and when she looked at the back, she saw Juri looking at her concernedly. She quickly broke contact so that Juri won’t notice something about her. She tried her best to look fine in-front of Juri but flashbacks about what she saw earlier still remained inside her.

 

The class went wild when their class president, Jang Gyuri, announced that it’s a free time since their teacher has something to do. Mako just stayed still at her chair and tried to forget about what she saw at the mini garden.

“Ummm Mako-unnie?” Mako looked at the one who called her, which was Kim Nayoung, her seatmate.

“Yes Nayoung… Do you need something?”

“Ohhh nothing. It’s just that you look so sad.” Nayoung looked at Mako concernedly, while Mako was caught off-guard by it.

‘Am I that obvious?’

“Unnie?”

“Oh no it’s nothing I’m fine.”

“But your eyes looked so puffy and and red. Have you been crying?”

“W-what a-are y-you talking about?!?! Me, crying. That’s so impossible. I’m Mako! I never cry.” Mako tried her best to convince Nayoung but her seatmate won’t accept accept everything that she have said earlier. Nayoung can sense the tension that Mako is feeling, that’s why she decided to stop so that nothing unexpectedly will happen.

“Okay. If you say so. We may not be that close, but always remember that I am here for you if ever you need someone to be with you. I’ll listen to every concern that you have and help you too.” Mako’s heart lightened up with what Nayoung said to her. She felt better since she knew there are people for her incase she needs comfort.

“Thanks Nayoung! I really needed that comfort.”

“Anytime! Just remember what I have told you. Ok, seatmate?”

“Yes of course… Seatmate.” The both of them laughed it out and started talking about life. That’s when Mako found out that Nayoung has some special feelings for Hitomi.

“Wait… So you’re telling me that you’re in-love with Hitomi?”

“Yes yes… Can you keep it a secret for the both of us? I just don’t want it to spread out.”

“Why though? You are always with her though and the both of you look so happy together.”

“I just think that she doesn’t like me.”

“What do you mean by that? Of course she likes you. Like, look at the both of you. You guys are never separated from each other ever since we came here. And the both of you look like you guys were destined to be together. You just have to confess to her and tell her what you feel for her.” When Mako told her that, she realized that they were like her and Juri. That’s when Mako became sad again.

“You can say that. But I think it’s the opposite.” Mako looked at Nayoung and Nayoung can sense that she was confused by it.

“Mako….. I feel that Hitomi will not like me back because she likes someone else.” Mako was shocked because how can Nayoung say that.

‘Hitomi likes someone else? That’s so impossible! How can Hitomi like someone when she’s with Nayoung all the time…’

“Nayoung, are you sure? That’s kinda impossible you know.”

“No it’s not. I can feel it already just by observing her.” Mako noticed that Nayoung’s mood became low and she looks like she was about to cry. Mako immediately grabbed her and told Gyuri that they needed to go to the restroom. They left their classroom and went to the farthest restroom that students usually don’t go to. When they got there, Mako pulled Nayoung inside and locked the door to prevent people from coming inside and see the situation that they are in.

 

Just as Mako locked the door, She went to Nayoung and was greeted with a flood of tears coming out of Nayoung’s eyes. Mako didn’t do anything but hugged her until she calms down. She didn’t say anything and just wait for Nayoung, Mako knows that’s what Nayoung needs because she knows to herself that this is also what she needs. After some minutes, Mako can sense that Nayoung stopped crying so she let her go and faced her properly.

“Thank you Mako-unnie. And sorry, your uniform is now wet because of me.” Nayoung said. Mako just shrugged the idea that her uniform is now wet, but who cares, helping someone is more important than this.

“Feeling better?”

“Yeah.” Silence takes over for a while before Nayoung reviles something that even Mako’s heart ached so much.

“Miu will ask Hitomi to be her girlfriend.”

“What?! Miu?! As in ao Miu. Are you sure that Hitomi will say yes?”

“Yes I'm sure. And Mako-unnie, I can feel that Hitomi likes ao Miu and Miu likes her back. The feeling is mutual. What can I do?”

“But you love Hitomi and-”

“If this will make her happy, then who am I to interfere? And besides they seem to be a perfect pair, just like what other people say.” With what Nayoung said, Mako can’t help but also imagine herself to be in her position.

 

‘What if that also happened with Juri and Sihyun?’

‘What can I do too? I’m not Sihyun to begin with.’

 

“Do you like someone?” Mako was surprised with what Nayoung asked her.

“What are you-”

“I knew it already Mako-unnie. I can see it from your face when you came back to our classroom. Didn’t I tell you that your eyes can tell what you feel at the moment?”

“Really? I just thought that-”

“No one will notice? You were in luck that no one in class questioned you besides me. And Mako-unnie… Since I told you who I like, can you also trust me and tell me who you like?” Mako started to think if she will tell her or not.

 

‘Should I?’

‘Well Nayoung told me hers, so I think that I should too to make us even…’

‘But I’m too shy..’

 

“Takahashi Juri-unnie”

“W-what?!?!”

“It’s Juri unnie right? The one you like.” Mako was caught off-guard and started to think if she was too obvious.

“If you think that you were obvious, no you are not. But your eyes can tell who you really like.” Can Nayoung read other people’s minds???

“I guess I don’t have anything to object huh???”

“So I was right? That you-”

“Yeah yeah… I like Juri, my best friend.”

“I guess we are even huh??? Like on the same league?”

“Yeah I think so too.” They started to laughed when they realized that they are just experiencing one-sided love but with a different person.

“Come on Nayoung. We’ve been here for a long time now. We need to go back and not make Gyuri nervous and start searching for us.”

“Yeah you’re right Mako-unnie.”

 

Their walk to the classroom was quiet and somehow calming for the both of them. They found out that they feel the same thing. And that they are experiencing the same thing. Mako was so happy that she got to talk with Nayoung and vice-versa. Who knew, Mako didn’t just gain another friend but also a partner-in-crime when it comes to one-sided love. They went back to their classroom just in time before their next class will start.

 

“Hey Mako-unnie.”

“Yeah?”

“Thanks!”

“For what?”

“For earlier.”

“Eyyyy. No problem. That’s what friends are for.” Mako showed her famous eye smile and Nayoung started laughing.

“Hey! What are laughing about?”

“Nothing. I just can’t believe that I finally got close with the famous Kojima Mako.” Mako laughed with what Nayoung just called her, and Nayoung also joined her in laughing.

 

“I’m so happy that I got to talk to you Mako. Really!”

“Yeah me too Nayoung. Me too.”