The Bodyguard - Chapter 5

The Bodyguard

The sound of the birds chirping woke Sunggyu up as he opened his eyes.  It took him a moment to realise that he was still dressed in his suit and tie and sitting on a bed that wasn't his.  He heard a slight murmur beside him as he looked and saw Woohyun still clinging onto his waist as he lay sleeping.

He finally remembered why he was in this position since last night.  He could not bring himself to push Woohyun away when Woohyun latched onto him.  Rather than leave, he had decided to stay and soothed Woohyun to sleep.

Sunggyu leaned his head back against the headboard of the bed and sighed.  What am I doing? he thought.

Just then he heard a knock at the door before he saw the butler enter.  The butler seemed surprised to see Sunggyu sitting on Woohyun's bed.  Sunggyu opened his mouth to explain but the butler spoke before he could say a word.

"I'm sorry to intrude," apologised the butler.  "I'll leave both your breakfast here then."  He laid out their breakfast before heading for the door.  "Oh, Mr Nam and Master Myungsoo will be back later today."  He smiled at Sunggyu before leaving the room.

Woohyun woke up to find his arms wrapped around Sunggyu.  He blushed with embarassment before withdrawing his hands arms and sitting up.  He vaguely remembered clinging onto someone last night but never thought it would be his bodyguard.

"I-I'm so sorry," stammered Woohyun, realising that Sunggyu must have been sitting like that all night.

Sunggyu got up from the bed and adjusted his suit.  "Mr Nam will be back today," informed Sunggyu.

The news brought a delightful smile to Woohyun's face.


Sunggyu stood and watched nearby as Woohyun was talking to the gardener.  He noticed Woohyun was smiling.  He seemed to be in high spirits.  This brought a smile to Sunggyu's face, but the smile disappeared when he realised he looked like an idiot smiling to himself.

"Woohyun!" a voice called out.

They all looked to see the master of the estate run over to embrace Woohyun.

"My dear son," cried Mr Nam.  "I'm so sorry I wasn't here for you."

Woohyun smiled.  "I understand, father," said Woohyun.  "I'm sorry I couldn't accompany you."

"You don't have to worry," spoke another voice approaching from the back. 

Woohyun looked to see his younger brother approaching with a tall man in a suit following behind.  He looked much like a bodyguard.

"You forget that father has two sons," said Myungsoo.  "I've taken care of things in your stead, brother."  He walked up to Woohyun and hugged him.  "After all," Myungsoo whispered in Woohyun's ear.  "You're pretty much useless now." 

Myungsoo smiled as he pulled away from the hug, leaving Woohyun in shock at hearing those words.  Myungsoo glanced over at Sunggyu and smiled.  Sunggyu lowered his head to avoid his eyes.

"Sungjong!" Mr Nam called as the butler came out.

"Yes, Sir," said the butler.

"Prepare us something nice.  We're going to have a family dinner tonight," declared Mr Nam with joy.


A family dinner at the Nam residence meant only the three of them at the huge table.  Mr Nam seemed to be enjoying himself as he gulped down the wine, oblivious to the tension between his two sons.  Mr Nam, with slurred speech, rambled on about the car accident, much to Myungsoo's annoyance.

"He's obviously drunk," said Myungsoo.  "Sungjong, take my father to his room."

The butler came and escorted Mr Nam to his room, leaving the two brothers alone.  Myungsoo glared at Woohyun.

"Look at what you're doing to our dear father," said Myungsoo.  "Your presence is a constant reminder of what happened that day and he blames himself for what happened to you."  He got up to leave the room but stopped when he was at the door.  "It would have been better if you had died," said Myungsoo before he walked out.


Sunggyu was in his room when his phone vibrated.  He knew who it was before he even looked at the name.

"Why didn't you answer the call last night?" asked the voice on the other end of the phone.

"I couldn't," replied Sunggyu.

"Why did you kill them?" asked the voice.  "It would have served our purpose if you had let them be."

Sunggyu didn't respond.

"Don't get too attached," warned the voice.