The Bodyguard - Chapter 4

The Bodyguard

Early next morning, two figures waited patiently on the beach as they prepared to witness the sun rise in the far horizon.  Woohyun watched with a smile on his face as the golden ball of fire rose in the east.

"I've always wanted to see the sun rise," admitted Woohyun.  "But I've never had the chance."  He turned to look at Sunggyu who stood beside him.  "Thank you for taking me here."

"You should smile more often," commented Sunggyu.  "It suits you."

"I'll take that as a compliment," replied Woohyun.

"We should head back now.  Your butler warned me you had to be back by breakfast," announced Sunggyu as he turned Woohyun's wheelchair around.


Sunggyu was driving with Woohyun in the backseat, when he looked in the rearview mirror and noticed that two riders on motorbikes had been behind them for awhile.  He knew trouble when he saw it.  He stepped on the accelerator and turned abruptly into the first corner, attempting to lose the them.  Woohyun held onto the door handle at the sudden force.

"Sunggyu, what's going on?" he asked.

Sunggyu glanced into his rearview mirror again and noticed the bikers were still on their tail.  He saw them pull out something from their back pockets.

"Get down!" Sunggyu shouted.

Woohyun did as he was instructed.  He ducked his head just as a bullet hit the back window and smashed the glass into pieces. "!" said Sunggyu as he noticed Woohyun cowering from the broken glass.  "Stay down."

Glancing back in his rearview mirror, Sunggyu pulled out his gun from his jacket and fired back at the riders, with one hand holding the wheel.  The riders swerved out of the way before returning fire.

Sunggyu sped up ahead then suddenly spun the car around to face them.  This caught the riders off guard.  Sunggyu sped at them.  They fired at him in an attempt to stop him but Sunggyu remained focus and rammed into them at full force.  The car came to a skidding halt as he looked at the lifeless bodies on the ground.

"Are you hurt?" asked Sunggyu.

Woohyun shook his head slowly.  "No," he replied, trying to sound unaffected by the ordeal but Sunggyu saw him trembling.


The butler pushed the dinner trolley inside the room, where he found Woohyun sleeping as Sunggyu sat in the chair beside him.

"We should wake Master Woohyun up," suggested the butler.  "He needs to eat something."

Sunggyu looked at Woohyun's sleeping face.  "Just let him rest a bit more," said Sunggyu.

"Poor thing," said the butler.  "First, the car accident and now this.  Why are these things happening to him?"

"It's my fault.  I was with him and yet I let this happen," said Sunggyu.

"Lucky you were with him today," said the butler.  "But it's a pity the police have no leads since the two men were both killed."


Later that night as Sunggyu sat watching Woohyun sleep, he noticed Woohyun was tossing and turning about and talking in his sleep.

"No!  Stop!" 

He heard Woohyun repeat those words before he screamed and jolted up in bed, sweating and breathing heavily.  Sunggyu got up to comfort him.  Woohyun suddenly grabbed onto his waist and hugged him tight.  Sunggyu was caught off guard and wasn't sure how to react.

"It's okay," he said, trying to calm Woohyun down.  "It's just a nightmare." 

He could feel how terified Woohyun was from the way his body was trembling.  Sunggyu slowly reached out his arms and wrapped them around Woohyun, choosing to even ignore his phone as it vibrated in his jacket.