The Bodyguard - Chapter 10

The Bodyguard

Sunggyu opened the passenger door of the car before carrying Woohyun in his arms.

"Can't I sit in the front with you?" asked Woohyun.

Sunggyu glanced at the butler who stood watching them at the front door.  "Your father may question it and I may lose my job," he replied.

Woohyun pouted in disappointment but he knew Sunggyu was right.  He didn't want to be separated from him.


They arrived at the hospital for Woohyun's check up, where they were greeted by the usual doctor.  The nurse wheeled Woohyun into the room while Sunggyu waited in the waiting room nearby.  He overheard two nurses gossiping outside the room.

"Wasn't that the son of that multimillionaire who was paralysed in that accident?" asked one. 

"There's been rumours that it wasn't an accident," said the other.  "Poor thing."

They sighed in pity.  "Well, at least he's in good hands.  Doctor Dongwoo is the best.  I'm sure he'll be able to do something."


After the check up they stopped for lunch on the terrace of a restaurant by the seaside.  By coincidence, they met with Myungsoo and Sungyeol who had also arrived for lunch.

"Well, look what we have here," said Myungsoo.  "It was only yesterday that you were kidnapped and here you are sitting under the sun without a care in the world.  I do admire you for being father's favourite.  He would go to great lengths to ensure your safety."  Myungsoo smirked as he leaned in close to Woohyun.  "However, you're really nothing more than a burden right now."

With that, Myungsoo walked away with Sungyeol leaving a disheartened Woohyun to sit in silence.  Sunggyu walked over to him.

"What did he say to you?" asked Sunggyu.

"I always knew he hated me," admitted Woohyun.  "But what he's saying is true.  The state I'm in now, I really am nothing but a burden."

Sunggyu saw the tears welled in Woohyun's eyes.  He reached out and pulled Woohyun into his embrace to comfort him.


That night when Woohyun was fast asleep, Sunggyu went to his room to answer the call.

"I can't do this anymore," said Sunggyu. 

"Don't tell me that you've gotten so used to the role of bodyguard, that you've forgotten what you really are?" mocked the voice on the other line.

"I don't want to hurt him," admitted Sunggyu.

"You're getting soft," said the voice.  "I want this job done quickly.  He is becoming a real eyesore.  He may have been lucky to survive that accident but I can't stand it anymore."

"Is that why you sent the riders and the kidnappers?" asked Sunggyu.

"Just do your job properly!" warned the voice.


Sunggyu walked back to Woohyun's room and sat down on the bed beside him.  He gently the side of Woohyun's sleeping face.  Would you hate me if you find out I lied?