The Bodyguard - Chapter 3

The Bodyguard

The morning sun shone through the window as Woohyun sat in his wheelchair staring out from it.  Sunggyu stood watching him from the door.  There was a soft knock at the door and Sunggyu opened it to find the doctor standing there.  The doctor sighed when he saw that Woohyun hadn't moved from the window.

"Maybe you should take him out somewhere for some fresh air," suggested the doctor.  "He's been cooped up all this time.  Maybe he just needs a breather.  Might cheer him up."

Sunggyu nodded.  "Thanks doctor," he said.

The doctor walked away as Sunggyu approached Woohyun by the window.

"Master Woohyun, is there anywhere you want to go?" asked Sunggyu.

Woohyun smiled bitterly.  "Where can I go?' he asked, looking down at his legs.  "I just want to be alone."

"Wherever it is, I'll take you," informed Sunggyu.

"Because it's your job?" asked Woohyun, turning to look at him.  "You don't have to.  It must be tiresome to be with someone like me, anyway."  He turned to look out the window.  "Besides, people will talk if they see me.  The son of the multimillionaire, Nam Chunghee, is a cripple."

"They won't," assured Sunggyu.  "I'll make sure of it."


With much persuasion, Woohyun finally agreed to be taken out by Sunggyu.  Sunggyu pushed the wheelchair as they strolled through the streets.  Sunggyu noticed that Woohyun's mood had improved slightly.  He was smiling.  It was the first time Sunggyu had seen him smile.


They stopped by a cafe beside a park and sat on one of the tables outside.

"Wait here, I'll go order," said Sunggyu as he went inside the cafe.

Woohyun sat waiting when he noticed a group of youths arguing as they approached him.  The argument heated up as one shoved another roughly.  The person crashed into Woohyun, making his wheelchair fall to the side, taking him down with it.  Woohyun tried to break his fall using his arms as it scraped along on the ground.  The youths ignored Woohyun as they started throwing punches at each other.


Sunggyu came back out with the coffee in his hand when he noticed Woohyun on the ground.  He threw the coffee aside and ran to carry Woohyun up, placing him on a chair before lifting the wheelchair back up.  He then turned to the group of youths.

"Hey!" he called out to them, his tone firm as iron.

The group turned to look at him.  "What the hell do you want?" asked one of them.

"You knocked him over," said Sunggyu, indicating to Woohyun.  "Now apologise."

"Well, he shouldn't have been in the way," said a youth.

Sunggyu's eyes narrowed as he turned to look at the youths.  Without warning, he grabbed the first person and put him in a an arm lock.

"Apologise!" Sunggyu repeated.

The youth ignored him and tried to fight back so Sunggyu snapped his arm, much to Woohyun's shock.  The youth cried out in pain as Sunggyu pushed him aside.  He went for the next person and put him in a headlock.

"The next thing I will snap is your neck," warned Sunggyu.

The terrified youth widened his eyes in horror.  "Please don't!" he cried.  "I'm sorry!"

"Sunggyu, please let it go," said Woohyun.

Sunggyu slowly released the youth as they scampered away.  He walked over to Woohyun.

"Let me see your hands," said Sunggyu as he held Woohyun's hands, noticing the scrapes on them.  "I'm sorry.  I'm your bodyguard and I let this happen."

"It's okay," said Woohyun.  "It's not your fault."


That night as Woohyun lay sleeping, Sunggyu stood and watched when his phone sudenly vibrated. 

"Yes," he answered.  "As planned."  He glanced at Woohyun. "No, he doesn't suspect anything."