The Bodyguard - Chapter 1

The Bodyguard

The car speed ahead at an uncontrollable speed.  The two passengers in the backseat looked at  the the panic-stricken driver who tried desperately to brake, but it was useless.

"The brakes are gone, Sir!" declared the driver.

"Out of the car, now!" ordered the older man in the backseat.

All three opened their car doors and jumped out of the speeding car.  They tumbled and rolled before landing on the road.

"Woohyun?" shouted the man, noticing his son was not present.

Inside the car, he realised that his door was jammed.  He tried to move to the door on the other side, but it was too late.  A loud bang echoed as the car crashed into an oncoming truck.


He opened the double door to the enormous bedroom and entered.  He approached the centre of the room where the king size bed was situated.  A figure lay on the bed with his eyes closed.  If it had not been for the fact that his hand was connected to an iv drip beside the bed, it would look like he was only sleeping. 

He had been informed that the young master of the estate was in a coma, a result from a car accident.  He sighed as he looked at the serence face of the sleeping figure before him.

"Ah, I see you've met Woohyun," said a voice as he entered the room.

He turned and saw the master of the estate.  He bowed his head to greet the older man.

"Doctors say that there's a high possibility of him waking up," informed the older man.  "It's been three months since the accident, but I still believe so."

"If I may ask, Sir," said the man.  "Isn't he better off with carers?"

"Carers, I have plenty," replied the older man.  "But what I want is someone who will always be by his side.  Someone who will watch over him."  He turned to look at the man.  "And that is your responsiblity from now on.  I trust you won't let me down."


Each day, from the early hours of morning til the late hours of night, he would stay beside the young master, guarding him as he slept.  The only time he got off was for the few hours of sleep each night.  His room was just next door, built with access through the connecting door in the side wall.


He stood watching the IV drip when he suddenly felt a hand grip his own.  He looked down and saw the young master's hand holding onto his.  He looked as the young master's eyelids fluttered open, revealing a pair of warm gentle eyes staring up at him.  It took him a moment to register what was happening before he reached for the buzzer to alert the doctor and nurses.

The young master blinked slowly as he looked up at the stranger whose hand he was holding on to.  "Who are you?" he asked the stranger.

"I am Sunggyu, your bodyguard," he replied.