Anyone Can Be Family

Coincidence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I can’t believe you asked Sejeong for more money, you pabos!”, Tzuyu flicked Dahyun’s and Chaeyoung’s forehead. They were currently in front of a pet store.

 

“I know we shouldn’t have.. But, we need it to get the gift for our unnies”, the three wanted to buy a gift for their unnies who have always took care of them ever since they were little. 

 

“You guys know that we have lots of money?” 

 

“But we made a promise not to use the money anymore. Remember? We’re doing it for Somi” 

 

Tzuyu sighed and commanded the two to go in the pet store to get the ‘gift’. 

 

‘This isn’t even a gift, if you think about it. I’m sure Chaeyoung and Dahyun just want a pet’ 

 

‘I wonder what they will get. A dog? A cat? A bird?’ 

 

After ten minutes, Dahyun and Chaeyoung came out of the store holding something behind their back. It looked like a plastic bag? Wait a minute. The gears in Tzuyu’s brain started working and she groaned when Dahyun excitedly showed her the clownfish. 

 

“YOU GOT A FREAKING FISH!?” 

 

“YEAH WE DID”, Dahyun yells back in excitement. 

 

“WE’RE GOING TO NAME IT NEMO!”, the fair skinned girl skipped down the streets as Chaeyoung followed, laughing at her unnie. Meanwhile, Tzuyu was still in front of the pet store, watching the crazy people run in front of her, whom she called her very own family. She was about to follow them when she saw the cutest dog in the display window. Immediately, Tzuyu ‘awed’ at the dog and the dog jumped when it realized the girl recognized the puppy. Tzuyu looked around the puppy to find that, all of the other dogs were adopted except the dog who was staring at Tzuyu with puppy eyes.

 

“It’s okay. One day, you’ll find a family.. Even if they’re crazy idiots, you’ll learn to love them. Trust me, I know what you’re going through”, Tzuyu put a hand on the display window and the puppy replied by putting his paw on the window. The girl chuckled as she ran to catch up with Dahyun and Chaeyoung, who were teasing Tzuyu’s soft side for dogs. 

 

——

 

“You can’t leave Seolhyun!”

 

“I have to, Tzuyu. We both know that we need to leave this place. I’m just choosing to leave now..” 

 

Young Tzuyu was clinging onto Seolhyun’s leg, refusing the girl from leaving with her new family. Seolhyun looked at Tzuyu with tears b her eyes. Her foster parents looked at Tzuyu in pity, that they can not provide her a proper home. 

 

“It’s okay sweetie. We’ll make sure she comes back to visit”

 

The husband whispered frantically at the wife, “Um, honey.. We’re not going to be able to come back to Korea?”    

 

“Tzuyu, just promise me that you’ll take care of yourself”, Seolhyun caressed Tzuyu’s head and the younger girl nodded like a lost puppy. Finally, Tzuyu let go of Seolhyun’s leg and plopped herself on the ground. Tzuyu was crying as she saw Seolhyun walk out of the door to start a new chapter in her life with her new family. Seolhyun stopped walking to the car and turned around to look at the building that she had spent her whole life in with Tzuyu. She took one last glance at the sign. 

 

’Hand in Hand Orphanage’ 

 

“I promise that I’ll come back”, Seolhyun whispered as she entered the car.    

 

Meanwhile, with the exception of the orphanage workers, Tzuyu was now the only homeless kid in the building. 

 

——

 

“Jihyo. Jungyeon. Nayeon, we’re home!”, Dahyun yelled as they arrived at the small apartment that could barely fit 4 people. There was no answer so Dahyun yelled again. 

 

“Uh guys?..”, the three walked to the living room where they found it was pitch black.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“SURPRISE”

 

The lights and Jihyo popped out from behind the couch and she was blowing into a noise maker. Nayeon came from the kitchen holding a cake with a lit candle on top of it, and Jungyeon came out of the closet. Literally. 

 

“It’s not even our birthday!”, Chaeyoung exclaimed as Jeongyeon hugged her no-jam hyung. Jihyo gave a tight hug to Dahyun, well that was after she blew the noise maker in Dahyun’s ear. And Nayeon was trying to give a peck on Tzuyu’s cheek, but Tzuyu tried pushing her away as she kept muttering ‘you should be happy that I’m letting you hug me’. Dahyun shoved the plastic bag containing the clownfish into Jihyo’s face. 

 

“It’s our gift to you unnies”, the Dubu shyly said as she smiled showing all of her pearly white teeth. 

 

“Oh.. Another fish Dahyun?”, all of them looked at their tank to see the other eight fish, well there used to be nine but it passed away.. Rest in Peace, Dahyun #4. 

 

“Yeah! And this time, it has a unique name. I’m going to name it Nemo”

 

“At least, it’s not Dahyun #5”, Nayeon patted Dahyun’s head as they both walked over to the tank to go put the clownfish in its new home. 

 

“Can you believe its been ten years since we adopted you guys!?”, all of the girls were sitting, squishing each other on the only couch they had. They ate the cake after their unnies forced them to blow the candle and make a wish. 

 

“It feels like it was only yesterday when we met Tzuyu”, Chaeyoung cooed as her and Dahyun squished Tzuyu’s cheeks, and the unnies awed at the trio. 

 

“How did you guys meet again? Please forgive my memory loss. I think I’m getting older and older as every minute passes”, Nayeon groaned as everyone laughed at the oldest. 

 

 “Well, you see Tzuyu and I first met..” 

 

—— 

 

Son Chaeyoung. A girl who now has no home and no family. She was at home waiting for her parents and newborn baby brother to come home from the hospital, but nobody came.. Chaeyoung’s aunt comforted her, saying that there was probably traffic. Hours later, there was a knock on the door and Chaeyoung sprinted to the door with her aunt scolding her to not run indoors, but she didn’t care. She immediately opened the door only to find a police officer who gave an upset look to Chaeyoung. 

 

“I’m sorry”, Chaeyoung’s aunt broke down as the police officer kept talking. At a young age, Chaeyoung didn’t have a lot of knowledge on death, but all she knew was that she wasn’t going to see her parents again. And, she was never going to meet her baby brother. 

 

 

 

 

 

“What’s a funeral auntie?”, her aunt was putting a black dress on the small girl. She saw that her aunt was also in black attire. 

 

“It’s sort of like a final goodbye”, Chaeyoung’s aunt softly smiled at the girl and she returned the smile. For the past two weeks, her aunt has been taking good care of her. They were now at the funeral where Chaeyoung saw three big stones with her parent’s and brother’s names and beside the stones were deep holes in the ground. All of the people who attended, said their condolences and gave longing hugs to Chaeyoung. Now, Chaeyoung saw three white caskets and people were putting flowers on the caskets. Her aunt gave her a lily flower and told Chaeyoung to say a final goodbye to her family. The girl slowly walked closer to the caskets and tears started falling more and more as she took each step. Finally, the young girl broke down and everyone could only look with tears in their eyes. Everyone decided to give Chaeyoung some space and left the cemetery. After what seemed like thirty minutes, Chaeyoung felt cold rain drops as she looked up to find her aunt crying. The younger girl threw herself at her aunt and they embraced each other’s warmth. 

 

“Chaeyoung.. I can’t take care of you anymore”, through the loud rain, Chaeyoung could hear every word. “I need to take care of my health.. Lately, I’ve been getting more and more ill. I’m so sorry Chaeyoung”

 

Chaeyoung felt an unfamiliar pair of hands taking her away from her aunt. 

 

’No. No..’ 

 

“NOOOOOOOOOOOO”, Chaeyoung wailed as she tried to run back to her aunt. Her aunt could only stand in the rain with hot tears rolling down her cheeks, as she watched her niece be taken away by the orphanage worker. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In the car, Chaeyoung fell asleep due to her crying so much. The orphanage worker sadly smiled at the girl who was sleeping with open. The two both arrived at ‘Hand in Hand’ orphanage and the worker carried Chaeyoung into the building. To prevent the girl from catching a cold, she changed Chaeyoung into dry clothes and laid her into a bed, next to Tzuyu’s bed. The worker knew that Tzuyu will be happy to hear that she now has a new friend in the orphanage. It has been two years since Seolhyun has left and Tzuyu fell into depression as she didn’t have any social interaction with kids her age. The workers thought it was best for Tzuyu to be homeschooled until she felt better. 

 

 “Tzuyu?”, the worker walked into their small library and found Tzuyu, sitting in the comfy lounge chairs. 

 

“We have a new member in the orphanage.. She’s the same age as you”, Tzuyu was shocked. They haven’t had a person come in the orphanage since two years ago. The worker continued to explain to Tzuyu about Chaeyoung’s situation and Tzuyu could only listen as she kept thinking. 

 

‘I won’t be lonely anymore?’, Tzuyu ran to her room when the worker said Chaeyoung was there. And the worker had to chase Tzuyu to prevent her from waking up Chaeyoung. The girl quickly opened the door to fi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter