Here

And So I Met Him

Soon Hee POV:

 

I opened my eyes to find myself, not in my own bedroom however I knew exactly where I was. I have been here more times that I can count. I was in Jae Ha’s room. I started to get up but the whirling headache came back to me and made me need to sit down. I was in so much physical pain from this cold. I looked to the bedside table and saw medicine, a glass of water and a little note that read,

 

“Morning sunshine

Take your medicine

I’ll be right outside if you need me :)

-J”

 

I smiled at my friend’s thoughtfulness. Jae Ha is always someone who jokes around but when it comes down to it, he is the biggest mother ever. I take the medicine and sit up for a bit trying to regain my strength. After about ten minutes, I decide to leave the room. I go into Jae Ha’s closet and grab one of his sweaters and head on out.

 

I see Jae Ha in the kitchen boiling something and his cousin behind him chopping away. I hear Jae Ha’s mom in the bathroom probably doing some laundry. She comes out and is the first to see me.

 

“Soon Hee! Oh you had us so worried. What have I told you? To stay home if you’re sick and to not push yourself.” She puts her laundry basket down and reaches over to feel more forehead.

 

She has been the closest thing I have had to a mother ever since my parents died. I have had countless sleepovers here and she is always sending food through Jae Ha for me to eat. She has even forced me to start calling her mom two years prior.

 

“Sorry to worry you Ohmonni (respectful way to say mother in korean)”

 

This is when Jae Ha notices me and rushes over.

 

“Soonyyyyy! Scare me like that again and I will hit you.”

 

“I think I would be the one hitting you.” I retort as confidently as I could even though I felt like dying inside.

 

Jae Ha made me sit on the couch with him while his mom took over the boiling pot on the stove. I had no doubt that there was vegetable porridge in there. She usually makes seafood but she knows when i’m sick, it’s the last thing I would prefer to eat.

 

“Hyung said you fainted all of a sudden when you were going to get me. I’m so sorry. I knew you were sick yet I still made you wait for me. Miyan”

 

I just smiled and replied, “If I home on my own, I probably would have fainted in the streets or my boss would have to-”

 

That’s when I realized, I had work that day.

 

“Oh no! I Had work today. I have always had a perfect attendance. Where is my ph-”

 

“I already called the chicken place and told your boss you weren’t feeling well enough to come in today or tomorrow.”

 

I look up to see Kai standing before Jae Ha and I with a steaming hot bowl on a tray in his hands.

 

“Oh. Thank you. But tomorrow too? I should be well enough befor-”

 

He interrupted me again.

 

“Soon Hee. You fainted today. What makes you think you can go riding on a bike delivering chicken in this cold weather until night? Take tomorrow off.” Kai replied almost coldly.

 

I was taken aback. I didn’t know to to react to the worry of a stranger for me.

 

“Soon Hee. Hyung is right. Plus mom said you’re going to stay here for the week.”

 

“Wait. What? Ohmonni I couldn’t.”

 

“Oh yes you could. You’ll be staying in Jae Ha’s room and he’ll share the guest room with Kai. We already decided it.” His mother replied.

 

“I can just go home. I will be alright.”

 

“Soon Hee. How many times do I need to remind you that you are part of this family? Family takes care of each other. Let me take care of you.” She gave me a reassuring smile. I had no choice but to agree.

 

Kai passed me the porridge and I thanked him. We started to watch Jae Ha’s downloaded episodes of Running Man. He and I loved it and it always brought smiles to our faces. Kai wasn’t really reacting until Jae Ha decided to put an episode where he was in it and started to make fun of him. Jae Ha always knew how to make people feel better.

 

Kai went over to Jae Ha and started to tackle him. I couldn’t help but burst out laughing. They both looked at me and Jae Ha threw a cushion on my face.

 

“This means war.” I declare.

 

Jae Ha and Kai look at each other and then back at me.

 

“Bring it.” Jae Ha replies.

 

We start hitting each others with various cushions and blankets until Jae Ha’s mother yells, “Boys stop it. Soon Hee is sick and needs to rest.”

 

We all halt mid spike with the various throwing objects in our hands and place them back where they are meant to go. As I normally do when I’m cold, I grab a blanket and go to Jae Ha and cuddle with him for warmth.

 

Jae Ha opened his arms and placed them around me once I gained a comfortable position. Kai looked over but I pretended not to notice. I was half asleep in his arms when I heard the two cousins talking.

 

“You two are very comfortable.” Kai observed.

 

“Mhm. She’s my best friend. I would do anything for her.” Jae Ha replied.

 

“Do you like her? You sure look at her like you do.”

 

A silence followed by a “hmmmmm” from Jae Ha.

 

“I love her with my whole heart...but I feel it is more of a brotherly love. She practically lived here last summer when her apartment had construction going on near it and she couldn’t sleep.”

 

“Mmm. I see. She seems she has a good heart.”

 

“She does.” I hear Jae Ha say as he pushed my hair out of my face. I did my best to pretend to be asleep.

 

“I should probably get her to bed,” Jae Ha declared, “but she’s on top of me.”

 

“Haha. Here I’ll do it.”

 

Kai came towards his cousin and lifted me up thinking I was asleep. He took me into Jae Ha’s room and placed me on the bed. He lifted the blanket over me and let his hands hover over my face.

 

I was questioning why but my focus was more on pretending to be asleep. Eventually he left and I did fall asleep. I woke up a few hours after from a bad dream, and went to get a glass of water.  I can hear Jae Ha’s snoring from the quiet of the night.

 

I look outside and see a figure on the balcony. I go out and see Kai.

 

“Can’t sleep?” I asked.

 

“No. Bad dream. You?”

 

“Same.”