My Normal

And So I Met Him

It all started one day in spring. I just came back from vacation. There was nothing at all unusual about the day. I was so excited to see all my friends again.  I put my uniform on and made my breakfast as I usually do. My parents passed away when I was younger. I lived with my relatives until I was seventeen. It was then that I decided to start working and pay for school and bills on my own. I never really felt comfortable living off of someone else and it was obvious they didn't either. They do send me a bit of money every month because they know I can't pay for bills and school all on my own. I accept it as it usually is money from my parents' will. 

How did they die you might ask? They were killed. The police never found the culprit. All they know was he was probably drinking before he got in his car and ran my parents over on their night out. I was seven. Not old enough to remember everything about my family but old enough to have a relationship with them and hold them dear in my hearts. I must've cried for a week straight but as all younger children, I learned to adapt to my new normal and carry on with life. They weren't part of my life enough yet to completely destroy all I had. I was just told I couldn't see them and how they went on a trip to heaven. I was disappointed because they didn't take me with them but then I got over it. 

It has been twelve years since they were taken from me. I can still get up every morning. I can still smile and enjoy my life. I do something long for a mother to share all my secrets with and for a father who can spoil me with my favourite foods when I'm having a bad day. I think what I miss most is the hugs. I have never gotten many hugs since then. My extended family wasn't the hugging type so I just had my bear who I hugged every night until I was twelve. 

I grabbed my keys and locked my door as I usually did. I lived near my school. It usually only took about twenty minutes walking which was nice for me. It made it easier and my workplace was close as well. I worked as a delivery girl for a fried chicken place. 

I walked into my class. A class full of friendly faces. A class full of people I have known since I was seven years old. 

"Good morning Soon Hee!" I turn to see my best friend, Kim Jae Ha, who decides to slap me on the back as he always does every morning. 

"You know you should really stop hitting a lady" I say in reply.

"You? A lady? This coming from the girl who used to throw mud at me when we were little. You are anything but a lady. Your only feminine feature would be this," He indicates to his chest and says, "oh wait. You don't even have that."

I hit him over the head as he runs away laughing to say hi to his other friends. I go over to my other good friend Lee Min Hee. She is someone I can tell everything too. She is super kind and the entire class loves her. She was the only person who didn't say sorry after my parents died. The only person I cried in front of after it happened. The only person who held my hand on my first day back. She is someone whom I trust. I met Jae Ha a year after. He was always in the other class so I never talked to him prior. Since we met, we never stopped being with each other. There's rumours that his family is famous so many people try to get close to him. He has always liked me because I never once did that. The three of us get along very well. 

Class as always is boring but I must pay attention if I want to be able to work in an office one day. That's my goal in life: to get a nice office job in marketing and become part of a team. 

During lunch, as always, I sit with Jae ha and Min Hee. We put our desks together and begin devouring our food. 

"He called me flat chested today." I say to Min Hee.

She hits the back of Jae Ha's head, "How could you to my poor Soon Hee."

"Poor?! That woman can make an army if she wanted to." Jae Ha replies.

"Oh so now you admit I'm a lady?" I ask.

"No not a lady. A woman. Big difference."

I scoff at his reply.

"Soon Hee did you wanna go karaoking with me after school?" Min Hee asks. 

"Sorry love. I have work today."

"You have work like every day." She says exasperated. 

"How else can I pay for the bills." I say as I pinch her cheeks on either side and she moves away hastily and rubs her now red cheeks.

"Jae Ha, how bout you?"

"Sorry Minnie. I have a relative coming from Seoul. He is going to be staying with us for a while but he it's been over a year since I last saw him so I want to spend some time with him." Jae Ha replies. 

"Cousin?" I ask.

"Mhm. He is a bit older than us but in our family, we are closest in age so we get along very well. He was going through a bit of a tough time in Seoul so he decided to come back to his home town to sort of breathe from the busy life he has over there."

"Well if he ever needed fun, you know where to find us." I say.

"Please. The only fun you could show someone is throwing a chicken leg in their face." He says pointing his chopsticks in my face. 

"Well, I do deliver some good chicken."

School finishes and I head over to my fried chicken job. I say hi to the ahjumma who runs the chicken place and go to change into my uniform. I basically stick on jeans with a chicken vest over it and a baseball cap. 

I look in the mirror before I head out. I give myself a smile and am ready to start the shift.

"Hwaiting" I tell myself.

As soon as I head out, there is already an order waiting to be delivered. I look at the address and my face lights up. It's Jae Ha's address. Usually, I go to his place whenever he orders chicken and we hang out for a bit before my boss calls me and I use the same excuse as I always do: he tried hitting on me and I had to try and get away. it works every time. 

I get on my scooter and start heading over with the spicy chicken which is surprising because Jae Ha usually can't eat spicy. It makes his stomach heart but it was clear in the order: spicy seasoned chicken. 

I head up to his apartment and ring the doorbell. As soon as the door opens, as I always do, I slap his back as payback for the mornings. 
"Didn't see that one coming did you? HA! I win. This is what you get. By the way, why did you order spicy-" I look up. 

I suddenly stop as I realize that the person I hit wasn't Jae Ha or even his parents. 

I hear Jae Ha running towards the door zipping up his pants.

"Hyung! What did I tell you? Not to open the door because you don't know who will be there." Jae Ha demands.

"You were in the washroom." The man replies.

I stare in shock. In front of me is Kai from EXO.