Chapter One

Familiar Touch
Please log in to read the full chapter

You could honest say that to the fifteen year old, the last two weeks were the worst days of his entire life. The young man was currently sitting in the back seat of a taxi he was finally able to hail after wondering around the foreign airport for two hours. A deep sigh escaped his mouth as he decided to rest his forehead against the cold glass window. The heat of his breath forming a fog to briefly form on the surface.

 

Within the last few days or so Jimin had been uprooted from everything he knew and was familiar with and sent to live with a complete stranger. Sure he had known this day was coming for almost a year now, but the fact did nothing to prepare him for the utter grief he felt at his loss.

 

He could still recall the moment his mother pulled him into the living room and delivered the worst news of his life.

 

Nine months ago...

 

“Sweety, you know I have been sick for a while now,” said the small framed woman now sitting at the edge of the couch head casted downward. “The cancer is now too aggressive to fight,” she suddenly shifted her eyes upwards to peer into the orbs of her only son. “Jimin I'd rather use the time I have left to spend with you, Jim's family, and set my affairs in order so that...” she paused briefly to inhale and exhale once. “When I'm gone you'll be okay. Do you understand?,” he woman said now taking smaller hands into her own. All the boy could do was nod twice before the sobs started to wreck his body.

 

Softly the woman pulled him into her embrace. “I'm sorry Jimin. I love you son. I'm just so sorry.” The both of them stayed that way crying into each other's arms until the sadness settled into warm acceptance.

 

After that things moved quickly. His mother no longer went to work at the hospital as a nurse, instead she spent all of her time either working on documents, making phone calls, or spending time with family. As a result, Jimin and his mother spend a lot of time with Jim's family. Jim was Jimin's step-father but he had passed away in a car accident five years ago. The death was devastating to Jimin because Jim was the only father he had known his entire life.

 

When Jimin was barely a newborn, the two had immigrated from South Korea to the United States. They had first settled in California but when Jimin's mother met Jim they all moved to New York and even after Jim's death they stayed.

 

It was also during this time that his mother decided to reveal Jimin's real father to him. He had known all along that he wasn't Jim's child naturally. He was Asian and Jim was white but the thought that he still had family in Korea had never cross his mind until then. She also explained that he would be moving back to Korea to live with his biologically father afterward.

 

His mother explained that she had met his father when she was a young college student and his father Jungkook was in his third year of middle school. He came from a wealthy family and to make extra money on the side she would tutor a few students in the surround area. She was Jimin's father's math and language tutor but eventually they started to fall in love.

 

“Your father Jungkook,” she said in a moment of nostalgia. “was the first love of my life, but it was a selfish thing to do what I did. I knew he was still a teenager but love can be complicated like that.”

 

Jimin later learned that when his mother discovered she was pregnant she decided to keep it a secret from Jungkook. Instead she simply finished the semester before moving back to her home town of Daegu where she gave birth on her own before accepting a fast track green card to the US.

 

“I spoke to him Jimin and he wants to get to know you. He deserved tha

Please log in to read the full chapter