but santa is not real (wendy x irene)

Purplish Thoughts (ficlet collection)
Please log in to read the full chapter

“You’re kidding, right?”

 

Wendy pouts in confusion at her girlfriend but she only gets a giddy laugh for an answer.

 

“Wait here a minute.” Irene gives Wendy a quick peck on the lips before stepping out of the car and skipping towards the post office.

 

Wendy scrunches her eyebrows as she recalls her recent conversation with her girlfriend. Irene had asked her to pull over so she could drop her letter, with her wish list… to Santa.

 

Wendy shakes her head. Her girlfriend is either a grandma or a child. There is no in-between.

 

Irene skips her way back to the passenger seat, with a smile so wide it melts Wendy’s heart. “Okay, let’s go!” Wendy just laughs as they drive away.

 

---

 

“What gift do you want for Christmas? You didn’t let me see your list…”

 

Wendy says as Irene happily folds their laundry. She wanted it to be a surprise, but she really has no idea what to get Irene. Perhaps she could just buy one off from Irene’s wish list to Santa.

 

“Oh Wendy, you know I’ll love whatever you give me. Besides, Santa’s going to grant all my wishes so you don’t have to worry about that.”

 

Irene sounds so sure and so excited that Wendy has nothing to retort. So what if her 27-year old girlfriend still believes in Santa. There’s no problem about that…

 

Wendy gasps and Irene turns to look at her.

 

“What’s wrong?” Irene reaches for her but Wendy shakes her head just as quick.

 

“N-n-nothing. I just remembered something. Excuse me.”

 

Wendy goes to their shared bedroom and takes a deep breath. Surely, she’s not the one to break the news about Santa not being real, right? She’s not ready to see her girlfriend’s devastated face when she finds out.

 

---

 

On Christmas Eve, Wendy couldn’t help it anymore. She tried to delay the santa-is-not-real talk. But now that time’s running out, she has no choice but to do it.

 

After they prepared their meals for tonight, Wendy holds Irene’s hand and brings her to the living room. She asks her to sit on the couch. They sit across each other, with Wendy looking serious as she nervously bites her lips.

 

Irene senses the change in atmosphere and fidgets with her apron.

 

“Wendy, you’re worrying me. You’re not… not going to break up with me, right?”

 

Wendy snaps out of her trance and shakes her head violently as she reaches out to hold both Irene’s hands.

 

“No! Never! I love you so much I’m not going to break up with you.”

 

Irene sighs in relief. “Okay

Please log in to read the full chapter