Chapter 9

Ms. Matchmaker's Perfect Match
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

JIYEON'S POV

I know why Eunjung wants to leave.

 

There are enemies nearby.

 

Hunters probably....

 

Are they that desperate to kill Eunjung that they have to assassinate her at this hour?

 

They didn't even bother to hide their presence or at least to stay out of our sensory range.

 

What are they up to?

 

It's true that Eunjung is strong. I trust her ability to protect herself but one thing really bothers me....

 

Her death....

 

If no one help her she can't escape death.

 

I know I can't stop her even if I beg her to stay. Telling her everything is not an option either so I just pretended to sleep.

 

I made up my mind.

 

I'm going to stop her death.

 

....by any means.

 

She can't die yet because Grandma said I need her help. Or at least I assume that she is the one my grandma is talking about and for another reason why I wanted to delay her death is that I just lost my Grandma. I can't loss another important person to me right now.

 

My heart can't take it.

 

Not now.

 

There's another thing that's bothering me...

 

I heard the lost soul's voice again and the fact that I didn't actually how Eunjung will die makes me anxious about it.

 

The lost soul screaming for help is certainly nearby but I can't see it.

 

As a Guardian of Death no soul could hide in this eye. I can see all of them. Living or just merely a ghost wandering around...but this one is different.

 

It's like something is preventing my eyes to see it.

 

I leave my apartment few minutes after Eunjung left.

 

I could sense that something is happening on the rooftop.

 

...a battle perhaps. I could expect nothing less from this situation.

 

Why do they have to do it there? Someone might see them at this hour. People were not even sleeping yet.

 

What is the council thinking really?

 

Why do they want Eunjung dead so bad?

 

"Let me go! Let me go!"

 

I stop walking when I heard that voice again.

 

Again it's somewhere nearby but I can't pinpoint where exactly.

 

The voice echoed from all direction. It can't possibly be that one soul is everywhere at the same time.

 

I close my eyes and concentrate trying to figure out the exact location of the owner of that voice.

 

........

 

Upstairs??

 

I look at the stairs heading to the rooftop.

 

I didn't see anything but there's a certain part on the stairs that my powers can't get through just like when I'm at our classroom.

 

It's like a barrier is covering that area.

 

I want to try to breakthrough but I can't take the risk.

 

Well, I'm scared to take the risk.

 

Not here in the building where I live.

 

I go back to my apartment and walk like nothing happen.

 

If that someone is watching me I must not get my covers blown.

 

I get my red cloak and a mask to make sure I can hide my face.

 

Well, this one belongs to grandma so I can't really argue with the color.

 

When, I'm done I immediately headed to the stairs but this area is already clear.

 

My powers were not interrupted by anything at all so I came to a conclusion.

 

"...So that thing is moving" I said to myself trying to figure out where did it possibly go.

 

Someone must've been carrying the barrier and every time that someone stops at a certain area my power is instantly nullified on that area.

 

Strange...

 

I notice that I linger too much on the stairway already forgetting about my plan on delaying Stupid Cupid's death.

 

I run up there only to found out that Eunjung is losing.

 

Her feet and her hands were wrapped with ice.

 

Damn!

 

Use your power and melt the ice Pabo!

 

I want to yell at her but then I realize that she might not be good in controlling powers through her head....Just like me.

 

What should I do now?

 

I can't just jump in there and help her even with this mask.

 

But suddenly, two guardians was about to attack Eunjung. They're going to stab her.

 

I started to panic when the time left for Eunjung were only few seconds.

 

Damn!

 

I don't care what might be the result for doing this!

 

I need to help her!

 

But....

 

Just when I was about to help Eunjung a fireball suddenly hit the hunters and melted the ice.

 

It...I-it wasn't me....

 

...and I'm VERY sure it wasn't me.

 

I have no intention on burning those hunters coz I might end up killing them. I just want to save Eunjung but....

 

W-what just happen?

 

I saw Boram and Qri landed on the floor.

 

Shock and confusion is written on their faces and so as Eunjung.

 

"Your power is water. How did you do it?" Hyomin ask Eunjung and shutting her an accusing look.

 

Eunjung frown.

 

"I-I didn't. I didn't do it. I swear.....I didn't create the fireball." She said nervously. I guess because she almost die or it's just out of shock.

 

Then I notice a very strong presence....

 

"Of course you haven't. Only a Guardian of Death like me could do it."

 

Eh?

 

That woman..... She did it???

 

Her presence and her eyes....it's familiar.

 

VERY FAMILIAR

 

But I don't know why and how come it seems familiar to me.

 

And she's a Guardian of Dea-

 

"Jiyeon"

 

I almost jump and scream when someone tap my shoulder.

 

I turn around and she cover my mouth over the mask.

 

This woman is gonna give me a heart attack.

 

"Sshhh" She said and pull me away from the place.

 

"What are doing in there Jiyeon-ah? I know you can't stay away from Eunjung but can't you at least try to stay out of obvious danger? Guardians were fighting up there. What if their attacks accidentally thrown to your direction? How are you going to defend yourself?" Qri said calmly sounding very casual but she's obviously scolding me.

 

"How did you know it was me?" I ask removing my mask.

 

"Grandma's cloak and your scent. I came to look for you inside your apartment but you're not there." She said.

 

"A Guardian of Death appeared on the rooftop" I said.

 

With that Qri stop pulling me and turn around.

 

"A Guardian of Death?" She ask and I can see that her eyes turn red and her fangs are coming out.

 

I didn't show it but deep inside I feel sad.

 

Would her reaction also be like this if she found out the truth?

 

And if that happen what would I do? I'll be force to fight her if she tries to kill me.

 

I can't die yet. I have to complete Grandma's mission and clear my Mom's name.

 

I can't die yet till those things were achieved.

 

**sigh**

 

"Jiyeon-ah. Let's talk inside your apartment" She said and walk ahead of me.

 

Her anger is just so obvious.

 

I followed her inside and take off my cloak tossing it on the side along with the mask.

 

"What does that Guardian of Death looks like?" She ask looking outside the window.

 

That strong presence is slowly disappearing. The other Guardian of Death is getting farther.

 

"Hmm. She's someone from our school...I just can't remember where and when did I saw her" I said.

 

I really didn't have much time to look at the girl coz Qri suddenly arrive but I'm sure I will recognize her when I see her again.

 

"Tss. So all this time she's just nearby watching us" She said with bitterness in her voice.

 

I look down.

 

"Unnie what if she's innocent? What if she have nothing to do with whatever bad things some of her kind did? Does every Guardian of Death needs to suffer the same faith?" I ask and lie down on the couch staring at the ceiling.

 

"...What if she's someone very close to you? Would you still hate her?" I ask again.

 

Qri was in silence for a moment.

 

"I don't know how I should answer your question....all I know is that someone has to pay for all the lives that has been lost....You keep asking me questions like this Park Ji. Is there something you're not telling me?" She ask throwing me a suspicious look.

 

I chuckled.

 

"What's funny?" She ask.

 

"Nothing..." I said.

 

I can't tell Qri my secrets.

 

Why you have to leave me like this Grandma?

 

Thinking about that a tear escape from my eyes.

 

I close my eyes trying to suppress my tears.

 

When I open it again Qri's face was in front of me.

 

She was frowning looking down at my face.

 

"Wae?" I curiously ask.

 

"Your eyes change its color Jiyeon. Maybe you're a vampire after all." She said and smile.

 

"Hmm" I just said.

 

"But it's a different shade of red like most vampires have. Yours is darker but seems to glow on its edges." She said thinking deeply.

 

My eyes...

 

My eyes aren’t changing because I'm a vampire.

 

It just change because I'm not yet really good at controlling my powers. My eyes can see things that normally most creatures can't see.

 

Like lost souls. I can see them while others can't....but Eunjung can hear it for some reasons that I'm still trying to figure out.

 

"Can you do anything extraordinary? Like jumping so high or super speed? Did your fangs came out already?" Qri ask.

 

She's really excited for my vampire transformation.

 

I get up and shook my head.

 

"My teeth were normal and I can't do any extraordinary things" I said telling her a lie but of course I wasn't lying about my teeth.

 

"Don't worry. The changes in your eyes is already a big step in your transformation." She said patting my head.

 

I just smile awkwardly to her.

 

First, that other changes is not going to happen. Second, does she really need to pat my head like a little kid???

 

"By the way. Ask your Soyeon details about the Guardian of Death on the rooftop" She said.

 

"Soyeon is not there. Just Eunjung, Hyomin and Boram" I said.

 

Qri get something in her bag and start drinking it.

 

I just close my eyes not wanting to see her drinking that.

 

I would never get used to it.

 

"Soyeon for sure will have details about it sooner." She said.

 

I can't keep my eyes close so I just try not to look at her and imagine she's just drinking coffee or juice.

 

"Why don't you ask her personally? You're friends" I said and she suddenly turn around.

 

"I have something important to do" She said.

 

Hmm. Is she avoiding Soyeon now?

 

I look outside the window and water suddenly pour from the sky.

 

No...it's not rain.

 

HYOMIN'S POV

I can't believe it!

 

This is the first time I ever encounter a real Guardian of Death.

 

"She doesn't look like a monster just like what our parents used to say" I said half amused and half....I can't even tell.

 

But her face is really pale....ah no! It's faded.

 

Could someone's face fade like that?

 

Who is she?

 

"I don't know what you're talking about but don't let your guard down" Boram said to me.

 

"Eyyy???!!!! We're going to fight her?! You're kidding me right?!" I ask and hide on her back.

 

There's no way I'm fighting this girl with a strong presence.

 

"Don't fret. I'm not an enemy." She said and smile.

 

"How can we be sure?" I ask while still hiding on Boram's back.

 

If things get insane here I would be left with no other choice but to drink the supposed to be gift to my Mom.

 

"Hmm. I'm here to get the heiress and continue what our parents started" She said.

 

Heiress?

 

"So you're the Guardian of Death's Traitor's daughter. We never know she had a daughter" Boram said.

 

Geez.

 

Maybe Boram should've been born as a hunter.

 

She's not trembling like I do and Eunjung was there just standing looking stunned.

 

"Even a know-it-all doesn't really know everything." She said mocking Boram.

 

I clench my fist.

 

I wish I was stronger so that I could teach this woman a lesson.

 

She took a step closer to Eunjung...

 

"Boram-ah..." I said worrying about what she might do.

 

"Don't do anything" She said.

 

I wasn't expecting her to say that but I'm thankful that she did.

 

"Eunjun-"

 

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!!" Eunjung jumped towards her along with the melted water on the floor.

 

She's creating lots of water.

 

"Hyomin jump!" Boram said.

 

Boram and I stand on the railings not wanting to get drowned on massive water Eunjung was creating.

 

It's just like she's creating a huge aquarium above here.

 

"Are you sure this is ok?" I ask while looking for possible mortal being that might see it.

 

"Where did she go?" Boram ask with really no much concern about what I just said.

 

Tss.

 

Anyway, paying attention to her question The Guardian of Death girl disappeared.

 

"She just disappeared" I said and at the same time I feel relieved.

 

Who knows what Guardians of Death could do?

 

They might take our souls away....I think.

 

The water Eunjung created starts to fall like rain.

 

Eunjung left panting on the floor.

 

"She's exhausted." Boram said.

 

"Hmm. There's so many things happened in here. I don't think it will be good if the reinforcement will see us here. What should we do now?" I said.

 

"Yeah. Let's proceed to the mission" She said and let her w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter