Is It Time Enough for Us? (for thatchoiboy)

Got7 Secret Santa Event 2017 STORIES ARE HERE (BIG REVEAL)
Leads: Youngjae and Jaebum (2jae, Got7)
Rating: PG-13 (cursing)
Genre: Vampire AU, Werewolf AU
Triggers: Cursing in the beginning?? Just calm mostly
Title: Is It Time Enough for Us?
 
 
Youngjae sighed, staring up into the trees.
 
Stupid ing werewolves with their stupid ing superiority.
 
He leaned his face into his hands, reflecting on all the years he had been alive, and none infuriated him as much as Im Jaebum.
 
Born into a richer family while Youngjae was of middle class, he took the opportunity to rub their social standings into his face everytime they met.
 
He also seemed to think that Youngjae was jealous of him for some reason, like he’d ever want to be a werewolf.
 
Youngjae much preferred being a vampire, thank you very much. 
 
It wasn’t that Jaebum wasn’t hot. Oh, no. If anything, that infuriated him more.
 
Jaebum had a stupidly chiseled body like a greek god and Youngjae did not think it was fair.
 
Jaebum was a great guy and honestly, maybe Youngjae didn’t hate him as much as he should.
 
Being from different castes and different species, there had always been some expected hatred between them.
 
So they gave into that, and it started a rivalry between them.
 
Honestly, Youngjae didn’t know what Jaebum thought of him.
 
Sometimes he was so sure he saw him as purely his enemy.
 
Other times, not so much.
 
But they had dug themselves deep into this hole already and Youngjae did not feel inclined to try and talk to him about it.
 
For all he knew, he would just get shooed away.
 
Youngjae gave himself a small slap on his forehead and tried to focus on the mirror in front of him.
 
There was a party tonight, and while it wasn’t out of the ordinary, Jinyoung had told him to come in the best or worst that he had.
 
He was just going to go with the shirt he had on, a skintight one with a low v-neck, ripped jeans, and boots, because he didn’t honestly care much.
 
Youngjae hopped down the steps and grabbed his phone from the table.
 
Jinyoung’s house wasn’t far away, so he just walked.
 
He spotted a familiar car accompanied with the familiar scent of blood and focused on the pavement in front of him.
 
“Hey, sweetie!”
 
Youngjae gritted his teeth even as his stomach jumped.
 
“I told you not to call me that.”
 
Jaebum pulled up beside Youngjae with a knowing grin.
 
“Need a ride?”
 
Youngjae scoffed at him and kept walking.
 
“Why would I?”
 
“Cause you wanna spend time with the awesome Im Jaebum.”
 
Youngjae glared at him.
 
“Seriously, though, Jinyoung’s house is still a few blocks away and it’s sweltering out. Get in.”
 
Youngjae heaved a sigh as the car stopped moving.
 
He walked around to the passenger door and climbed in.
 
“Why are you doing this?”
 
“Oh, I’m not allowed to take my friend for a ride, am I?”
 
“I wasn’t aware we were friends.”
 
“Touchè.”
 
The short ride was spent in awkward silence and Youngjae stealing glances at Jaebum, who appeared unfazed by their interaction or his offer to take him.
 
When they pulled up at Jinyoung’s house, Youngjae was already jumping out as the car stuttered to a halt.
 
However, he hesitated until Jaebum came around the car.
 
“Thanks for taking me... hyung.”
 
And then he fled inside while Jaebum stared after him.
 
That was the first time he had ever called Jaebum hyung, and he swore it would be the last time as well.
 
He was greeted by a loud shout from Jackson and Jinyoung smiling warmly at him.
 
“Welcome. Grab some beer and food, and I’m pretty sure that the guys over got a game of Truth or Dare going on. Feel free to do whatever you want.”
 
Youngjae nodded and went to go grab a drink as instructed.
 
There were vampires here, as well as werewolves. Jinyoung had no preference to either, nor did he care, unlike most others.
 
There was usually a rift between the two species, no matter if they knew each other or not. But the alcohol seemed to have washed that away and they had all migrated into a loud group who seemed to be playing Truth or Dare mixed with Spin the Bottle.
 
Jaebum choose that moment to walk in and Youngjae decided that it would be a good time to join the others in the game.
 
It was a fun time, with everyone laughing at the ridiculous things others were doing or screaming when people had to reveal their secrets.
 
Youngjae wasn’t even aware that Jaebum had joined the game until the bottle landed on him.
 
“Jaebum, truth or dare?” Seukwang asked, shirtless from an earlier dare but seemingly having no shame other than a light blush dusting his cheeks.
 
“Dare.” Jaebum answered with no hesitation.
 
Seukwang considered it for a minute. “I dare you to do seven minutes in heaven with... Youngjae!”
 
Youngjae’s head shot up when he heard his name from where he was staring at Jaebum.
 
“Wait, me?”
 
“Yes, you.” 
 
Jackson stood up and grabbed them both by the forearm and dragged them to a closet in the next room. “Have fun, kids!”
 
His cackle receded, and they were left in awkward silence.
 
Youngjae watched Jaebum slump down to the floor and sat down next to him after a moment.
 
The sudden absence of laughing and merriment left a hole in the pit in his stomach and he felt lost. 
 
They sat in silence until Jaebum spoke. 
 
“Do you ever think it’s stupid?”
 
“Huh?”
 
Jaebum sighed and turned his body to face him but kept his eyes averted.
 
“Like... we have to hate each other because of who we are, not because we don’t like each other?”
 
Youngjae considered it, and then slowly nodded. 
 
“You’re talking about us, right?”
 
Jaebum snorted. “Yes.”
 
Youngjae slowly moved his hand forward until it was resting on Jaebum’s knee.
 
“It’s not going to change, not here at least. Maybe somewhere else, somewhere far away, it’s like that. But not here.”
 
“Why not, though?”
 
Dark eyes met dark eyes.
 
Youngjae went to open his mouth, and then Jaebum lunged forward, pecking his lips before sitting back with a shocked expression.
 
Youngjae flinched away and held up a trembling hand over his mouth.
 
“Why’d you do that?”
 
Jaebum sighed and silence reigned as seconds dragged like molasses.
 
“Because I’ve always wanted to, but there’s always been a barrier there, put and built by others.”
 
He gripped Youngjae’s arm. “Will you break it down with me?”
 
His gaze intensified, as did his grip. 
 
“If you want me to.”
 
“Then we shall.”
 
 
It was not a big thing.
 
They were to come out with a bang and be gone before the smoke thinned.
 
But their relationship was gradual, and better than either had imagined.
 
Yes, it had drawbacks. They doubted each other many times.
 
Youngjae choose to build their relationship slowly. One milestone for them was a step to demolishing the wall.
 
It took them years to fully trust each other. No matter how much they wanted to, it was better off, or so they believed.
 
It took self restraint and many, many slip ups.
 
The Plan. That was the name.
 
Nothing big, nothing assuming.
 
Nothing to show the depth behind it.
 
Youngjae hadn’t understood those who gave up their life for love, as a young child.
 
‘An emotion,’ he thought, ‘that’s all it is. An emotion’
 
He scoffed, now, at his younger self, so naive.
 
Love was her own emotion, foreign and alien and yet familiar and comfortable.
 
Love was wild and willful, desire and longing, submissiveness and dominance.
 
Opposites and the same.
 
Antonyms and synonyms. 
 
Pulling and pushing.
 
Here he was now, encased in warmth, strong arms creating a cage over them as the world slumbered around them.
 
Trust and loyalty. 
 
The old hate from before that had been built up by others still lingered.
 
It shouldn't have worked so well.
 
Youngjae squirmed in Jaebum's grasp until they were facing each other, chests touching, and looked up at his face.
 
Love was her own emotion, and she had found them and bound their souls together.
 
Jaebum claimed not to believe in soulmates, but Youngjae liked to think that if they were real, him and Jaebum would be soulmates.
 
In a world of werewolves and vampires, who knew what else was possible??
 
They had both mated each other, and were bound together through the bond.
 
Youngjae slipped out of Jaebum's embrace and headed into their kitchen.
 
The clock read 1:49 AM and Youngjae's face read tiredness.
 
The window slid open and the curtains fluttered in the slight breeze and Youngjae stuck his head outside to inhale the smell of stars and rain and home.
 
He had not been able to sleep at all that week.
 
In only a few hours, they would say their goodbyes, leave their notes and everyone they knew.
 
Because being together, vampire and werewolf, mortal enemies, from different castes, was not something possible in their town.
 
They were leaving because of love.
 
Another love story to be lost in the ages.
 
Youngjae stared out to his little town.
 
The window closed and he turned his back, taking a deep breath.
 
Youngjae snuck back in and slipped next to Jaebum.
 
He inhaled the scent of woodds and fur, felt the warmth, and realized, as he finally felt peace claim him.
 
He was home.