Chapter 7 - Luhan

Society's Rejects

Getting up, finding the will to get up, was maybe the hardest part of Luhan's day. He just didn't have the strength in the morning to mental prepare himself for the day ahead, but he had to. There was no other option, Luhan has been following this routine for the past 5 years.

The Chinese boys eyes were glued to the chubby cheek person that was stretching, having got out of his bed already. He watched as the older gathered clothes for his shower.

Luhan never paid this much attention, or any attention, to Minseok before. It has been 2 days, yet just hearing two simple words that consisted of 'I'm sorry', was enough to linger in Luhan's mind, and change the youngers perspective of things.

No had ever apologized to him before.

Minseok glanced over, and Luhan quickly looked away. The older waved it off, and exited to go to the bathroom.

Luhan barely got any sleep, and it was all Kim Minseok's fault..... and the cold, but that was a constant thing. Minseok just had to be so nice. It was annoying.

When the boy was finally able to get out of bed, he was slapped by the cold air. The group home didn't have the best air conditioning, so naturally, the weather inside mimicked the weather outside.

He put his uniform on, and then layered it with a jacket. During that time, Minseok came back in the room, fully clothed in his uniform. And once again, Luhan found himself staring at the older, who was putting materials in his school bag.

"Good Morning." Minseok said, probably noticing Luhan's stare.

Yet, he didn't respond, just headed out the door, leaving the older alone.

When Luhan made his way downstairs, he found Yifan going through a book.

"No way! Kris, the famous Yifan, is actually reading!? I thought you were to cool for that!" Luhan laughed when the boy glared, putting the book away in a haste.

"Yixing gave me it." Yifan explained, and immediately, Luhan knew. Kris wasn't the type to read, but the boy always had had a soft spot for Yixing. If anyone wanted to make Yifan do something, then just tell Yixing to ask him, and then he would absolutely do it without hesitation.

"Of course it was Yixing. He's the only one who can make you do anything." Luhan mocked, earning an eye roll. "Oh, and look who it is, just in time bud!" Kris eyes shot wide open, and Luhan wrapped his arm around the neck of Yixing, who just came in the living room. 

"What happened?" The innocent boy asked, smiling slightly.

"I don't know what you do to him Yixing, but please tell me so I can make Kris do whatever I want too." The youngest of the three laughed, his dimple showing. Luhan squinted his eyes at the intimidating man that was sitting on the couch with a non-readable expression. 

That's what you get, should of helped me clean the pi*s yesterday, Luhan thought.

Together, the three China natives went to the kitchen, breakfast already done by Baekhyun and Tao. It was always funny seeing Tao in an apron. Zitao didn't like wearing it, but with uniforms on, he couldn't risk getting it dirty.

Throughout the meal, Luhan found it hard to focus on eating when all he wanted to do was glare at his roommate that was conveniently sitting right across from him. Why did he feel the need to stare at the older boy? It was just something his eyes did on his own.

Minseok looked up from taking a bite of his pancake, catching Luhan in his act. Still, the Chinese boy did not shift his gaze, he continued to stare, trying to figure out what the sudden urge in him was.

His roommate blushed, quickly looking away and whispering something to Kyungsoo.

When breakfast was finished and school was approaching, Luhan finally managed to look away. Actually, he didn't have much of a choice, because Minseok was scurrying out of the home as fast as he could.

"You barely ate." Yixing muttered on their way to school. The weather was cloudy and freezing, just like Luhan predicted.

"I wasn't that hungry." Luhan replied.

Upon entering school, the four boys (Yifan, Zitao, Yixing and Luhan himself), separated and went to their classes.

The teacher was surprised when he saw Luhan enter class, the boy was almost never early.

"Luhanie~" Luhan didn't have to look over to know who it was. His girlfriend, Haeun.

Luhan had a girlfriend? Well, sort of.

Haeun and Luhan have known each other for 3 years, ever since they started high school. They were officially dating, but everyone knew, including Haeun, that Luhan wasn't committed. He messed around with other girls, even some of Haeun's friends. Still, she stayed with him, thinking she could actually change him, whatever that meant. 

"Luhanie, how was your morning?" Luhan cringed at the nickname she gave him, he never liked it.

"Okay." He said, not feeling in the mood to talk, but she still persisted.

"How about we skip math today? You seem to be a little stressed, and I can help with that." His girlfriend seductively leaned over her desk, that was right in front of his, and played with his tie.

Luhan resisted the urge to sigh, not interested in her offer, and even less interested in getting in trouble by Heechul if he did decide to skip. "I'm good."

"Really?" Haeun hissed. "You won't let me touch you, your own girlfriend, but you let Sarah have fun with you last week. I heard, Luhan."

Sarah. To be honest, it wasn't like Luhan wanted to do her, but she was a foreign exchange student from America, so he couldn't miss the chance. It wasn't that special anyways. They did it in the boys bathroom, after all, Luhan can't bring anyone home.

"Yeah, I did, your point? It's not like your going to break up with me anyways." Luhan never bothered breaking up with Haeun either, because he knew people will ask him questions about the break up, and he didn't want that. Luhan sure wouldn't mind if she broke it off though, but she never did.

"Wow. Luhan, 3 years and you still can't believe I love y--"

"Time to start class everyone!" The teacher stood up from his desk, cutting off Haeun. Luhan was glad when she stubbornly turned back around to face the front.

She didn't love him. She was just attached. 

Suddenly, Luhan's mind flashed back to the conversation he had with Minseok 2 nights ago.

He recalled what the older said about his mother, how she always took his father back no matter how many times he cheated. 

But that was different. Haeun didn't love him. Nobody could love him, and he couldn't love anybody. That's what life taught him.

Luhan shook the thought out of his head, taking a nap instead of listening. School was a perfect place where Luhan could catch up on his sleep when he didn't get much at night. Desks were pretty comfortable too.

"Wake up." Luhan felt a sharp pain in his shoulder, immediately knowing who caused it.

"Tao," Luhan spoke, his voice still caked with sleepiness. It was a good nap. Luhan lifted his head up to find he was correct. "How many times have I told you not to poke me with a stupid pencil."

"Enough times for me to stop doing it." The younger snickered. Always during lunch, Tao would come get him so they could walk down to the cafeteria and eat with their other friends. "Are you coming or what?"

"You go, I think im just gonna sleep some more."

"What? You could do that again after lunch, but now, it's time to eat." Tao was a bit shocked when the older refused. This has never happened before. "You won't be able to eat again until 6, you know?"

"Nooo," Luhan sarcastically replied. "I just forgot I lived in a group home for, oh I don't know, the past couple of years."

If Luhan wasn't his friend, and scary, then Zitao would of punched him. "Fine, suit yourself. I'm just saying, your girlfriend might come join you today."

Of course. Haeun went to lunch first, dragged off by her friends and sitting with them in the lunch room, because Luhan didn't want to sit next to her during lunch, but when she finds out he's upstairs all alone, it will be the perfect chance for her to talk to him alone.

"Hopefully I will be sound asleep by the time she gets here."

Tao didn't say anymore, stalking off hurriedly. That boy didn't know what it meant to be quiet.

Luhan laid his head back down, unconscious drifting to him until he felt someone move his hand. Great, this was just perfect.

"Luhanie...." She wiggled his arm, running her hands through his hair for added affect. "Wake upp~"

"What Haeun?" He snapped, lifting his head annoyingly for the second time that hour. His girlfriend stiffened.

"I just- I just wanted to talk." Her cheeks flushed red, her voice small.

"Okay, then talk." At times Luhan felt he was being to mean to the fragile girl, but she didn't get the obvious hint he was giving, even when he directly said it.

"Did I do something? I'm worried about you. Lately, you've been mad at me. You're never like this." She bit her lip, her hands on her lap as the clutched the fabric of her skirt.

"Have I ever really been nice to you?" Haeun is a sweet girl. She definitely deserves so much better then him, and Luhan knew that all to well.

"Am I not enough anymore?" Tears, that was just awesome. Luhan hated tears, almost as much as he hated Minseok. Wait, why was he thinking of his roommate at this moment? Why was he thinking about him at all?

"What do you see in me, truthfully? It's ridiculous why you're even still with me."

"You're not that bad Luhan. I know you. And I love you, that's why I'm still here." Love, a word that was thrown around way to easily these days. True love doesn't exist.

"Stop saying that." Luhan held his voice down, not wanting to yell in school. "Go back with your friends, I'm tired." He slammed his head down again with a loud bang. Haeun worried, rubbing his head, and then finally giving up to go back to the cafeteria.

She deserves a great guy. A guy who will treat her with respect, because she is a wonderful girl. She deserves way better.

Once the day was over, Luhan walked home with the others. Twelve boys, all walking at different paces back to the group home. None of them were fast, they all dreaded going back like the dreaded coming to school.

Luhan's eyes stumbled on a kid in front of him. He was walking next to Kyungsoo, head down and backpack closely held. Minseok kicked all small rocks that he found on the concrete ground. Luhan watched him, all the way till they got home. There was something seriously wrong with him today, since when was he so interested in Minseok?

Luhan didn't do any of his homework when they got to the home. He didn't even know what his homework was, he had slept all day. The boy just watched, you guessed it, Kim Minseok. The older was digitally doing the work assigned to him, quickly looking from book to book, writing stuff down, and then repeating this process.

"Okay, time to check your homework!" Their caregiver did this everyday, but it should be obvious by now who does their work and who doesn't, yet Heechul still checks for the day when everyone will do their homework. "Do your chores." Heechul said with a sigh. "Minseok, Luhan, your turn to cook."

"What?!" Luhan screeched his chair back, not on purpose though. "Is it my turn to cook everyday or something? Why do I have to cook today? I just did it the other day!"

"Hyung, you haven't cooked for a week." Baekhyun interjected, saving Heechul from having to say it.

"Why can't I do it tomorrow?" Luhan's uncaring personality was starting to show, not realizing he hurt Minseok with his words. 

"Luhan, unless you want to do Minseok's chores for a whole week, I suggest you get to cooking."

As much as Luhan hated the idea of cooking with Minseok, he hated the idea of chores more. It wasn't that Luhan was lazy, it's just he didn't see the point of doing things for others without getting any benefit from it.

"Fine, fine. I'll cook."

"That's a good kid!" Heechul smiled. "Guys, get to work!"

Everyone departed from the kitchen, Minseok and Luhan being the only two left.

"So... umm... what do you want to cook?" Minseok filled the uncomfortable silence.

Luhan wanted to respond with a smirky remark, but he also didn't know what to cook either. The younger went through the shelves, trying to find something. Heechul didn't specify what they had to cook today, which meant they could do anything. 

Looking for a quick second, Luhan pulled out a couple of packets of ramen. He didn't care what he served the others, no matter how much they wanted steak tonight. At least, Tao wanted steak.

They got to cooking. Luhan didn't know what came over him, but he had a hard time keeping his eyes on the dirty dishes (they finished cooking and were now cleaning up), especially since Minseok was so close.

The younger's eyes drifted down to the shorter, taking in features the shorter had that he didn't see before.

Minseok is cute. He had a round face, with chubby cheeks. Like Baozi, Luhan thought. He looked young, younger than Sehun. His jawline wasn't sharp, none of his facial features were. Yet, he looked beautiful, mesmerizing when looking closely. He could be a prince.

"Luhan, you might burn your hand." The Chinese boy turned to see the water boiling, and his hand under the smoking water. Immediately, he pulled his hand back, the pain only now starting to burn his red skin. How did he not notice this?

"Sh*t!" Luhan clutched his hand, wrapping it in a rag that was nearby.

"Here." Minseok took the others hand hesitantly, grabbing it and turning the water cold so he could rinse Luhan's hand in it. The taller sparked at the contact. "Did you not know? Your hand was under there for a while."

"Great, and you just now told me." Luhan spit out in annoyance.

"I don't know, you were just staring at me. It was awkward."

Luhan sighed, his eyes alarmed. "I wasn't staring." He was, but he wasn't going to let Minseok know that. "I'm fine." He pulled his hand away from Minseok, and from the cold water that was so refreshing.

"Are you sure? Your hand is really red." 

"Are we going to cook?" Luhan hissed, switching the subject back to the matter at hand.

"It's done." Minseok pointed to the food that was on the counter, the table already set.

"Oh." Luhan said, not realizing this till now. How out of it was he? 

They didn't speak any more after that. Heechul soon was in the kitchen, and the boys followed along like puppies.

Soon, lunch was over, and because it was Monday, that meant group.

"Minseok." Heechul called. Luhan glanced his roommate's way. 

"Hyung." Minseok responded. He never talked much in group, not that any of them did, but Minseok was always nervous about it.

"How was your day?"

"Good."

"And......?" The caregiver trailed off, insisting for more.

"Um... I got an A on my math test." Some of the other guys snickered, but Luhan held a frown. It wasn't that funny, Minseok is one of the smartest ones here, Luhan thought.

Heechul shushed everyone. Luhan zoned out again after that, until everyone was dismissed. 

The silence in Luhan's and Minseok's room was unnerving. It never was this way, because neither cared enough to make it this way, but tonight, Luhan did care.

"Luhan?" 

The Chinese boy stopped for a second, but then he continued to unravel his bed, ignoring the older.

"Sleep well, okay? You've been looking tired lately. Are you cold?" Was Minseok trying to bond with him or something? They have spoken more these last two days than they ever did this past month.

"Why?"

"You have been moving a lot in your sleep, and the weather has been getting cold, so I just figured it might be because of that." Minseok was right. The cold was getting to Luhan... but that wasn't the only thing.

The terrible air conditioning always took its toll on Luhan. He never liked the cold. It reminded him of the days when Luhan's father would lock him in the basement during winter nights, just to torture the young boy.

"I'm not cold." Luhan responded, cuddling down in his bed. 

"Oh. Okay."

The lights were out, and Luhan felt the icy, hard basement floor again. It was almost impossible for him to fall asleep like this. After 5 years of living in this home though, he had gotten used to it. But that didn't mean he liked it, or that it was easy.

1 hour, then 2, and then 3. Luhan wasn't able to fall asleep until the 5th, the time already 3am. 

The morning alarm rang way to soon throughout the house, fluttering Luhan's eyes awake. He slowly got up, rubbing his eyes in an attempt to rid them of blurriness.

Unconsciously, Luhan went to grab the blanket that was covering him, but when he did, he felt more than one blanket.

There was another piled on him. Luhan recognized it, and looked over to Minseok, who was just getting out of bed, no blanket in sight.

"Did you do this?" Luhan asked. He received Minseok's confused stare, but then the younger motioned to the extra cover on his bed.

"Yeah, you were cold."

Luhan scoffed, wading up the blanket and harshly throwing it to the older, who just barely caught it before it made contact with his face.

"I don't need it." The kind act that Minseok gave, well, it made Luhan feel strange. He didn't like this feeling.

"You were moving a lot in your sleep, so I thought-"

"Don't, alright? I don't need your pity." The Chinese boy cut him off.

"Okay," Minseok quietly said, taken aback. "But I'm a pretty light sleeper, so it's hard for me to sleep when your constantly moving around. Plus, I like the cold."

Luhan wished he could say something back, but he didn't know what to say. His mind was blank. And Luhan wanted to feel angry, but he just couldn't. Another emotion was starting to take over, and Luhan didn't know how to stop it.

*****

Ah, my dear friend development. Don't you just love it? Anyways, hoped you enjoyed this chapter! <3