Chapter 2 - Minseok

Society's Rejects

Minseok looked at the others, confused. You see, Luhan was supposed to help Minseok get started, show him the rules. Of course, that didn't work out. The moment Minseok stepped into the backyard, Luhan went over to Yixing and Tao, ignoring the older. Minseok expected this would happen, it was already obvious Luhan didn't like him. So the new kid stood awkwardly in the middle of the yard, lost.

"Here." A boy, Kyungsoo, handed him a shovel. Minseok took it. "You can never trust Luhan to actually be nice. Trust me, I know from experience."

"Thank you."

"No problem." Kyungsoo smiled. "I wish someone would of helped me when I first got here. Follow me." Kyungsoo led his hyung to an untouched spot. "We can start digging here. Heechul-hyung wants us to plant flowers, he thinks they will make this group home look more friendly."

The younger boy started first, then Minseok had begun to dig. He was use to doing yard work, his mother often forced Minseok to do it, that is. Even so, Minseok would give anything to be able to go back home. Kyungsoo was kind, just like Minseok first thought. Suddenly, a packet of flower seeds were thrown, and hit the older right in the face. The pain was the least of his worries though, Minseok was more interested in who threw the packet, and so was Kyungsoo.

"Jongin." Kyungsoo deadpanned out.

Jongin was at the other end of the lawn, smiling. "Oops, didn't mean to."

The younger boy rolled his eyes, biting his tounge. "Are you okay, hyung?" Kyungsoo dropped the shovel, stepping forward to examine Minseok's cheek.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a bit suprised." And embarrassed. Kyungsoo was treating him like a baby, and from the corner of his eyes, Minseok could see almost everyone laughing at him.

"Don't worry about them, they are going to judge you no matter what you do. And Jongin over there, I'm sure he's just mad because Heechul-hyung yelled at him earlier." Comforting, Minseok thought. The older waved off any pain he was feeling. Jongin sure had great aim, not to mention a strong hook.  Minseok looked back once more to Jongin, who was glaring at him. Really though, he understood why Luhan hated him (Minseok was replacing his old roommate after all), but what reason could Jongin possibly have? Shrugging off the glare, Minseok focused on digging, along with Kyungsoo.

By the time Heechul called all the boys back in, Minseok realized the sun was setting. The time sure did pass by fast, but that was most likely because the boy found peace doing this type of stuff. And in this house, Minseok could use as much peace as he could get.

All the boys went back inside, and Minseok followed suit, putting his shovel in the barn like the rest were doing. Once inside, Minseok was once again lost. All the boys were doing their own thing. Some washing up, others grabbing plates, and others going upstairs to change. Minseok? He was just standing in the corner, trying to stay out of everyone's way.

"Minseok-hyung, what are you doing?" There was a momentary stop in the kitchen when Baekhyun yelled over all the ruckus, all boys turning their stares to the one awkward kid cowering away. Minseok just wished he could disappear. "Wash your hands and sit, you look like a ghost."

Minseok quickly scurried over to the sink. "Baekhyun-hyung talks quiet alot, dosen't he?" Kyungsoo whispered to the older boy, who smiled and nodded. After washing his hands, Minseok took an empty seat around the table. To his surprise, Kyungsoo took the seat next to him, handing Minseok a plate.

"Thank you."

Minseok patiently waited, as others placed food on the table. He tried his best avoiding any eye contact. Kyungsoo was constanly in and out of his seat, doing who knows what.

"Okay!" Heechul came back, from wherever he vanished off to, and ordered the boys to their seats. Chanyeol took the other seat to Minseok's right. "Today's dinner was made by Jongdae and Junmyeon. Thank them."

A collective sigh of "Thank you's" was said, and Minseok joined in towards the end.

"Minseok, every day we thank whoever made the meal we are about to eat." The caregiver explained. Minseok nodded.

"Yeah, hyung thinks it will better our appreciation skill." Baekhyun said

"I think it works, I mean, I'm appreciative of this food, no matter who cooks it." Sehun spoke, his voice more stern than it was in group earlier that day.

"That's the spirit Sehun. Have I mentioned you're my favorite?" Heechul smiled at the maknae.

"You only say it ever day." Jongin muttered

"Well maybe if you act a little nicer you could be my favorite to. All of you could." Jongin just rolled his eyes. "Okay, you guys can eat now." At that, all the teenagers dug in, Minseok observing how all the boys messingly ate, then he picking up his own chopsticks and following.

"Those of you who are schedueled to shower at night, shower. The rest, finish your chores." Heechul said the same thing after dinner every day (with the exception of Mondays and Fridays, when the boys did have group), yet nobody actually listened to him. "Oh, and Yixing, I know it's your day to clean up with Luhan, but let Minseok do it today."

Luhan, who was already picking up plates, looked up in annoyance. "Why?!"

"It's okay with me." Yixing intervined, giving Minseok one of his dimpled smiles.

"Yeah well, it's not okay with me." Luhan retorted. "Why do I have to show him the ropes? I did it with the last kid. It's somebody else's turn!"

Heechul rolled his eyes. "You did not help the last kid, you just pretended in front of me. You're not that sneaky, Luhan."

"Yeah well......" Luhan raked his brain for an excuse. "That might be true but it's not like the kid liked me either."

"Luhan, sometimes I wonder what I would do without you in this home." Heechul laughed, angering said boy even further. "You will actually help Minseok, not like earlier when you just said you would." Luhan was about to object. "I know it wasn't you who helped Minseok, it was Kyungsoo, I saw." Luhan shut his mouth. "So now, you and Minseok will clean the kitchen, and I do expect you to inform him of our night time rules."

During this time, Yixing quietly excused himself to go upstairs, leaving Minseok alone as he watched the two banter. They were acting like he wasn't even there.

"Isn't that why we have a caregiver for? To explain the rules?"

Minseok could sware he heard Heechul curse under his breath. "Minseok, Luhan here is going to happily show you the ropes." Happily? Did Heechul think Minseok didn't hear the whole argument the two just had. "And if he dosen't.... well Luhan dosen't want to know what will happen." One more longing glare, and Heechul went upstairs to the other boys, who were talking, yelling, so loud that you could probably hear them from two houses down.

"Don't just stand there." Luhan hissed. "Pick up the plates." Minseok didn't need to, more like didn't want to, be told twice, so he quickly helped Luhan collect the plates. "Grab the rag, and clean off the table. I trust you know how to do that." The younger threw Minseok a rag, and the two wiped down the table, cleaning up all the stranded spaghetti and tomato sauce. "You wash, I'll dry."

Minseok went over to the sink, washing the plates and cups slower than Luhan dried them. This made Minseok nervous, as he was worried the younger kid might yell at him for not hurrying up, but this time, Luhan stayed silent.

Once they finished, they went upstairs, Minseok trailing behind. It was when they entered their room, that Minseok remembered he didn't have a chance to unpack. Yet, despite this, Minseok's iteams were scattered on the floor, the bag empty.

"Don't trust anyone one in this house, ever." Luhan laughed at the sight. Minseok, his chubby cheeks pink, leaned over and began picking up his things, stuffing it back in his bag. "Don't touch anything that's mine, okay?" Luhan said. Minseok was still picking up his stuff. "Hey," Luhan bothered. "Hey!" This time, Luhan threw one of his pillows. "Are.... are you about to cry?"

 "No." Minseok muttered, the first time he talked to Luhan, just Luhan. Minseok wasn't about to cry. Well, he was, but it was not from saddness, it was because he was frustrated. Minseok's eyes always watered when he felt any emotion strongly.

"The tears running down your cheek aren't exactly matching up with your story their." Laughing. Why was this even funny? Why was he even laughing? "Why are you being so overdramatic? It's just clothes, you can always wash them."

"You don't get it," Minseok stood up, throwing Luhan's pillow back at him. The boy caught it in surprise, his eyes widened a bit. "It's not just the clothes. It's you. It's you guys. I get you don't like me, and I know you don't want me here, trust me I don't even want to be here, but is it so hard to just pretend?"

"It actually is. I am more of a straight up person."

If Minseok could fight, and if he wasn't so shy, and if Luhan wasn't a murderer, he would punch the kid. But Minseok couldn't fight, and he was shy, and Luhan is a murderer, so he just stood there for a second, digging his nails into his palms. "Wow." Minseok didn't bother. People like him, people like Luhan, will never change. Why would he though? Luhan was just a cold blooded murderer. He had nothing, no one, to change for.

The older boy finished picking up his belongings, taking a quick trip to the bathroom before tucking himself into bed.

"Lights out at 10." Luhan spoke suddenly, after silence prelonged the air for too long. Luhan switched the light off, the room becoming pitch black. "No sneaking out." Luhan began. "No late night snack, no staying up late, no burning anything, no stabbing..." The boy listed off almost anything, some things Minseok never thought of, other things Minseok thought were ridiculous. "Violation of any of these rules will result in immediate expulsion." Luhan ended.

Minseok nodded, even though Luhan couldn't see him, not that he cared that is.

Minseok almost cried again, and this time, it was from saddness. Minseok stopped himself though. He couldn't cry in this house, not anymore. He had to be strong, pretend to be. Minseok didn't know what Luhan was gonna do. The boy saw him cry. Would he tell the others? Hang it over his head for the rest of the time he's here? Murder him?

Minseok shuddered at the last thought. It just popped up out of no where, reminding the older boy of who lived in this home. People, scary, intimidating people, that belonged here. Minseok was like a fish out of water. He shouldn't be here, but he was, for who knows how long. So he had to stay out of the way as much as possible. He had to leave without changing anything.

When the sun had barely even risen, there was a loud noise echoing throughout the home. Minseok stirred at first, forgetting where he was. When he opened his eyes, the unfamiliar scenery startled him, and he fell out of his bed as a result.

"Ow." Minseok sighed, finally remembering where he was.

"What the heck are you doing?" Luhan's tired voice once again startled Minseok, his head popping up and hitting the bottom of the nightstand.

"Owwww." Minseok repeated, recognizing that the boy speaking was his roommate. Great start to the morning, Minseok thought.

"Aren't you suppose to take a shower?" Luhan reminded the boy who was still on the floor, clutching his head in pain.

Minseok got up, taking in a shaky breath when his skin touch the cold floor. The older made his bed, like he remembered from the rules, and grabbed some clothes that were messingly laid on top of his duffle bag. The boy didn't have a towel, but he didn't ask where they would be, scared of the response he might get. So, instead, Minseok shook his head when he got out of the shower, water flying.

"Good morning. hyung." Kyungsoo greeted from his spot on the floor. He was sitting by the bathroom, towel and clothes in hand. Kyungsoo got up. "The alarm scare you?" Refering to the alarm that made Minseok tumble off his bed, he nodded.

"I never had to wake up to anything that loud when I was living at home." Minseok commented.

"Yeah, same for me. It takes some time to get used to. Anyways, I should get in, I probably only have 9 minutes now. See you." Kyungsoo gave his hyung one last smile, passing by him to get to the bathroom.

Minseok's room door was closed. He debated what to do, if he should knock, or just walk in, since it was technically his room to. Heechul told the new boy that none of the doors in this home had locks, besides the front and back doors. Other than protection from the outside world, these boys had no privacy between each other. In fact, Minseok was glad no one decided to use the bathroom when he was showering. There would be only a shower curtain to seperate Minseok and whoever walked in.

Minseok decided to knock. Better safe than sorry.

Luhan opened the door after a minute, his eyes harshly staring at the slightly shorter boy. "Are you just gonna stand there? Or, gee, I don't know, come in." The older boy walked in, and Luhan shut the door behind him.

Minseok sat on his bed, not knowing what to do. Was he suppose to go downstairs? Do chores? But Minseok hadn't been assigned any permanent chores yet.

"There you are!" The door slammed open, Heechul stomping in. "Minseok, I know you're new, but keep up kid! It's your turn to set up the table! Did Luhan not tell you?!" Heechul stood still, glancing back at Luhan. "He didn't tell you, did he?" Heechul said through his teeth. "I'm sorry Minseok, I shouldn't have yelled at you. It is clearly Luhan's fault!"

"In my defense, I genuinely forgot."

"Luhan, it's your turn to set up the tables today too!"

"What?! It's not my turn, It's Kyungsoo's!"

"And now it's your turn!" The caregiver ordered. "Maybe next time you won't forget your responsibilites." Luhan scoffed, but nonetheless, he obeyed. "And as for you Minseok, you are going to be setting the table every Sunday. I'll print you out a list of you're chores later, but right now, go give Luhan a hand."

Minseok went downstairs, entering the kitchen to see the table ready.

"What were you doing up there? Having a party? The table's set now, you're welcome." Luhan said

"Thank you." It was quite, what Minseok said, and he didn't think Luhan heard him... but he had.

As all the boys gathered for breakfast, Heechul brought up school. "Minseok, for school it's pretty simple. You will leave the house with the others when I dismiss. You walk straight to school, and you walk straight back. No detour. No skipping. No anything else. Any violation, and you will be severly punished, understood?"

Minseok nodded.

"You're scaring him!" Baekhyun shouted, even though there was no reason to shout, since it was the morning, and everyone was to tired to talk in the mornings.

"Shut up!" Jongdae shouted back just as loud.

When Heechul went off on a rant, Minseok had to focus on keeping the food in his system. It wasn't like Minseok was going to a new school, but he was going back to school since the whole mess started in his life. He missed a whole two weeks, and that's alot of make-up work. It was nerve racking, because it was like he was going back after a break, but a break just for him.

How was he going to explain to his friends (Well, Minseok only had one friend, but that wasn't the point), why he just suddenly disappeared for 2 weeks? His friend may not even believe him. After all, Minseok was not the type to get in trouble. But then again, he wasn't even the type to get noticed.

***

This chapter was more to kick start Xiuhan's relationship and Minseok's other friend ships. More will soon come focusing on the other members of EXO. Hope you enjoyed! <3