Chapter 15 - Baekhyun

Society's Rejects

Warning - chapter includs violence, blood, and curse words.

***

One bad headache.

Just one bad headache is what landed Byun Baekhyun a spot in The Junk Yard.

It was a really hot day for the jumpy boy, and he had a migraine, but his parents still forced him to go to school that day. In school, there was a teacher that all students agreed on was the worst, and that teacher just turned out to be Baekhyun's teacher.

"Listen, Stupid kid!" The teacher slammed Baekhyun's desk with a ruler, startling the younger. 

"Yah!" The jumpy boy yelled, screeching his chair back and looking his teacher square in the eye. All of his classmates watched, surprised.

"Excuse me?" The teacher said. He smacked Baekhyun with the ruler in his hand.

"Do that again," Baekhyun warned, his voice low. "And you'll be sorry."

Students gasped, his teachers face grew red from anger.

"You idiot--" Before the teacher could finish, Baekhyun landed one cold hard punch, aiming for his eye. The teacher fell back in pain. Everyone froze, including Baekhyun.

"I warned you." Baekhyun said after regaining his thoughts, and suddenly, students began clapping. The jumpy kid didn't expect much. He didn't do it for attention, but more from annoyance. Although, he did take pleasure in the praise he got.

Before he knew it, Baekhyun was getting yanked out by the principal, his parents were called, and police showed up.

His parents settled on sending him to the group home for a short while, till Baekhyun got his act together, as they put it.

Baekhyun was only suppose to be in the home for a month, but he made no progress at all. So now, 7 months later, he is still in the group home, and there's no sign of him getting out anytime soon. 

"Chanyeol!" Baekhyun shrieked, jumping a good two feet in the air. Once again, the giant caught Baekhyun with his fake bug trick. "Just focus on decorating, okay?!"

"Sheesh." Chanyeol chuckled out, clutching his stomach in laughter.

"Yah! You'll regret that!"

Unbeknownst to the giant, Baekhyun was planning a prank on him.

Tomorrow, Baekhyun was going to put a bucket of paint above the door in the downstairs bathroom. He was going to do it during Heechul's birthday party, because he wanted to give everyone a good laugh. 

In hindsight, Baekhyun's little prank was probably one of the worst decisions he has ever made, considering how it was his fault the whole day turned to . But at the moment, the prank seemed like a good idea. 

"Baekhyun, what are you carrying?" Junmyeon asked. Baekhyun had asked one of his friends from school to buy him a bucket full of paint for him, so now he was getting questioning stares from his housemates as they walked back to the group home after school.

"Don't tell anyone, but its paint." The jumpy kid looked down at the can he was carrying.

"But, I'm pretty sure everyone has noticed you carrying that thing by now."

"Maybe, but they don't know what it's for."

"Why do you need paint?"

Baekhyun smiled wickedly. "You know how Chanyeol always plays pranks on me?" Junmyeon nodded. "Well, I'm gonna get him back. I'm going to put this paint bucket on top of the bathroom door, and when he goes in to do his business, he's going to be greeted by my lovely can of red paint."

The jumpy kid was laughing to himself, while the leader looked concerned.

"What if it gets someone else instead?"

"It won't, Chanyeol is a weird kid. He goes to the bathroom the same time everyday." This was a true fact. The giant was on his own little schedule, that almost everyone knew.

"O-okay. I guess." Junmyeon stuttered, reluctantly. The leader knew he couldn't convince Baekhyun when his mind was set on something.

Baekhyun had his prank planned out to the second, just to make sure nothing was going to go wrong, because everything could go wrong, especially if his prank hits another target instead of his intended one.

It was Friday, and while everyone was decorating for the party, the jumpy boy was going to set it up. The old lady caregiver was still there. Heechul wouldn't be back home till about 8:00 PM, so he had more than enough time. Of course, he would still have to do it secretly, considering there are 11 other nosy boys in the home.

The boys had all ate dinner that night after setting up everything for the party, waiting for their caregiver to return. They skipped group that day, mostly because their substitute was very forgetful and the boys easily convinced her that they already had group.

Before Baekhyun realized, it was getting dark out, and that meant it was a perfect time to set up his prank.

As secretly as he could, Baekhyun slipped out of the living room, where everyone was. He wasn't noticed, because Zitao and Chanyeol were currently having an argument about the food, which Tao was taking all the credit for.

"Tao, stop lying, everyone knows Minseok-hyung cooked the food. Your food tastes like ." That was the last thing Baekhyun heard before he disappeared upstairs.

The jumpy boy hid the paint under his bed, and it was even harder to sneak back downstairs without the other boys noticing what he was holding.

Once he made it to the bathroom, his actions were less slow and secretive. The bathroom was behind a staircase that hid the toilet room from the living room. Baekhyun stood on the toilet, leaving the door just cracked open enough so he could place the paint bucket above the door.

Easily, after he was done, Baekhyun slide past the door without disturbing his art, and went to join the other boys.

"Shut up!" Zitao yelled, directed towards Chanyeol. The Chinese boy's loudness would of shocked everyone, but the fact that he yelled so often made it nothing new.

"Oh I'm sorry, did I make the baby mad?" The giant mocked, making some of the others snicker.

Baekhyun wasn't paying attention to their quarrel, he was just counting down the minutes till their caregiver got back, and till Chanyeol went to use the restroom.

"Calm down, guys." Yixing pleaded, and this, this surprised everyone. The dimpled boy wasn't much of a talker. "Grandma is upstairs sleeping, don't wake her up." It had become obvious that Yixing had a soft spot for their old substitute caregiver, who was currently sleeping in Yixing's bed upstairs.

Tao inched closer to the giant, who stood up off the couch, the pairs height matching.

"Tao, stop." Kris' voice held an a certain authority in it. An authority that Zitao didn't want to push.

Tao's gave shifted between Chanyeol and Kris, finally giving up with a loud sigh and rolling his eyes. Zitao's face was still blood shot red though, and his breathing was heavy.

"Tao, go splash water on yourself. You need to calm down."

Tao obeyed Yifan's command, and it wasn't until too late, that Baekhyun zoned back it to realize where the angry Chinese boy was heading.

"Wait..." The jumpy boy's head whipped up, focusing on Tao who had just past him. "Wait, Tao!" 

Before Baekhyun could finish, his voice was downed out by a loud shriek. Everyone froze, sending confused states. 

"What. The. ." 

Baekhyun was the first to get up, running to the scene. The rest followed, all squeezing against each other when they reached the bathroom to get a better view.

Baekhyun's heart raced as he saw his prank play out perfectly... on the wrong person.

Before him, was Zitao, covered from head to toe in red paint, coating the floor as well. The paint dripped off him, and the bucket laid on the floor upside down.

"Who. Did. This?" Tao said through gritted teeth.

Instinctively, everyone looked at Chanyeol. Most of the guys were laughing at Zitao, while few others just stared in silence.

"Well I didn't." The giant raised his hands defensively. "If I wanted to get Tao, don't you think I would've done it at school? That's where I always do it."

Junmyeon looked at Baekhyun, knowing it was the jumpy boy's fault. The other boys followed the leaders gaze.

Baekhyun shook a bit, the attention scaring him, but not as much as Tao's expression was. The jumpy boy wasn't afraid of the martial arts master, but he knew how Zitao fought, and that alone was enough to frighten anyone.

"You!" Tao screeched, not even questioning it before he yanked Baekhyun forward by the collar, landing nasty punches at the older boy. Baekhyun's head snapped back at the force, the others either yelling or stepping back to not get hit with paint that was splattering everywhere.

"Stop!" "Tao!" "Guys!" Were the general things Baekhyun could hear while he was getting pummeled in front of everyone.

Tao managed to maneuver the two out of the small bathroom, through the hallway, and to the living room. He was getting paint everywhere, but that was the least of problems. The decorations were getting torn down in the process, scattering around the home in a mess.

Baekhyun was pushed onto the couch, his head beating against the arm of sofa as Tao got on top of him, continuing with the punches. Red covered the elders face, and it wasn't just the paint.

The majority of guys were yelling by now as they had followed the pair. Luhan was gripping Minseok back defensively, keeping him as far away from the scene as possible.

Kyungsoo was panicking, sitting on the stairs, trying to calm down with a very worried Jongin at his knees. 

The old substitute finally came downstairs, only to be held back by Yixing, who didn't want the old woman getting hurt. She was still clueless on what was happening, but the yelling gave her a pretty good indication, no matter how oblivious she was.

"Tao!" It finally dawned on the guys that they needed to stop what was happening. Baekhyun was starting to lose conciseness. Both Junmyeon and Chanyeol tried pulling Tao off the beaten up kid, but he kept slipping away due to all the paint. "TAO! Stop!"

Red paint covered the floor, the carpet, the couch, and all the boys. It looked like blood, except the red on Baekhyun's face was actually blood.

"WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!" Baekhyun could hear only barley, even though the voice was loud and terrifying. Heechul had just came in, and suddenly, like a ripple effect, everyone stopped moving. Behind their caregiver, was a small middle aged woman, who was clearly petrified.

Zitao looked up, stopping his punches and breathing heavily. His fist was roughed up, but that was no constellation compared to what he did to Baekhyun's face.

It took their caregiver a second to scan what was happening. The substitute was still being held by Yixing, her fragile old body trembling.

Then, Heechul laid his eyes upon the two on the couch.

"OH MY GOSH!" Heechul ran to Baekhyun (slipping occasionally on the paint), leaving the middle aged woman alone at the entrance in his haste. "Get off!" The caregiver forced Tao off the bloody boy, his action shocking everyone.

"Omma!!" Heechul screamed, cradling the now unconscious Baekhyun with tears in his eyes. His mother, the middle aged woman, came inside. "Call 119!" 

The caregivers mom pulled out her phone from her purse without hesitation, calling the emergency hotline. Everyone stood in silence as the lady talked on the phone, giving the address of the group home and explaining the situation. Heechul's sobs was the only other noise.

The situation was all to familiar to the boy's, mostly for Luhan. He remember how Heechul got when his old roommate came back home late at night after killing a man. That Heechul and this Heechul were completely different. 

The caregiver ordered some of the boys to get items, like a hot rag and some ice. His voice was full of sorrow and anger. 

When the emergency help arrived, all the boys in the group home huddled onto the staircase to make room. All except Tao, who was sitting on the opposite sided the room, seemingly in a trance. They all watched as Baekhyun was put on a stretcher, his body lifeless. 

"Omma," Heechul's voice was stronger now. His mother looked at him. "Please go with Baekhyun. Please. I need to stay here." The tears hadn't stopped. His mother nodded silently, following the men into the van the beaten boy was placed in.

All the neighbors were on their lawns now, watching what was happening in the group home that was surrounded by red and blue lights, police cars tracing around the home. The neighbors were whispering to each other. They were all judging these boys like they so often did before. But this time, they were right.

Two police men made their way in, the other five waited outside. The caregiver didn't focus on them, his eyes were left lingering on the spot the van once was. His body was stiff.

"Mister." One of the police man said. Heechul let them into the home. The two cops were shocked at all the red at the scene, only realizing later that most of it was paint. "We need you to explain what happened."

Heechul still didn't look at them, his eyes were still staring at the same spot.

"H-hyung." Luhan spoke up, the first time in years he had stuttered. The caregiver finally looked away at the sound of the youngers voice. Luhan didn't know what else to say.

Heechul looked the other way, over his shoulder to Zitao, who was sitting with his head up towards the ceiling, his hands bleeding. Tao knew what was happening, but he couldn't bring himself to care.

"It was him." The caregiver said indifferently. He had given up. He had finally given up. "Take him."

The men looked at each other, then to the boy who was by himself. They walked over after agreeing.

"Get up kid." The cop said softly, like he felt bad for Tao. Zitao got up, putting his hands behind his back. He knew where he was going.

The other cop pulled out handcuffs, locking them on to the Chinese boy's wrists, careful not to get much paint on himself.

They dragged Zitao off, putting him in a police car once they were out. Neighbors could be seen gasping from their lawns. The cargiver didn't even spare one glance to anyone. Those two cops drove Tao away, and then the other five that were previously waiting outside came in. 

"We need to question everyone." A lady cop said.

Heechul just nodded, and they came in.

Most of the boys knew the drill from when this happened last time. This time though, they all were made to sit on the couch since they were all coated in paint. 

Heechul was still at the door, not being able to move.

One hell of a birthday.

****

Soooo..... Wow:o Things are now starting to get going. I love all EXO members (and ex-members), this is all part of my plot :( Hoped you liked the chapter.