Chapter 16 - Zitao

Society's Rejects

Warning : Blood, knife, stabbing, curse words.

***

Elementary school kids were mean. They bullied Zitao, they hurt him, and the only reason they had for doing so, was because his family was rich (which wasn't a good reason at all).

Tao was a sweet, shy kid growing up in China. He answered questions in school, and cleaned up his mess that he made during play time, without complaining.

It started in 3rd grade. The bullying began with his teacher, who didn't like him because she viewed the young boy's parents as snobby. His teacher would leave him out of almost everything, and always punished young Zitao for the smallest of incidents.

Then, as he entered 5th grade, Zitao realized the teasing wouldn't stop. In fact, it only got worse. The yelling and exclusion from things soon turned into scratching and punching. Boys would pick on him, throw rocks at him, and on more than one occasion, throw their fists at the young boy.

The school never did anything about it, and since Zitao's parents were always busy, they didn't notice.

But then, one day everything just went way out of hand.

One day during recess, behind two big trees so the teacher wouldn't see them, a group of 3 boys were taking turns using Tao as a soccer ball. They kicked and tossed the young boy as he lay on the ground in agony.

"Hey, guys," One kid said. The other two boys stopped kicking, looking up. "Look what I got."

With a chuckle, the kid pulled out a knife from his pocket. Tao couldn't see it, he was still struggling on the ground.

"Whoa!" Another kid said, surprised. "Where did you get that?"

"I took it from my dad. He collects these things." The kid twirled the sharp object in his fingers.

"What are you going to do with it?"

The kid smiled. "You guys hold him up, and I'll show you."

There was a pause. They didn't move, all shocked. Tao tried looking up to see what was happening, but the aching in his body didn't allow him to do so.

"Well?! What are you idiots waiting for?"

The kid waved the knife around. The other two got scared and immediately followed orders.

Tao felt his arms being hoisted up, his head hanging low and his legs unable to support his weight. The two boys on either side of him forced his head up by yanking his hair.

Zitao looked with his blurred vision. He couldn't see well, but he could see that the boy in front of him was holding a shiny object.

"Now now," The kid began, inching closer with long strides. "I don't know if this will hurt a lot, but here's hoping it will, you rich son of a -"

Tao shrieked as he felt the shiny object penetrate through the skin on his stomach, cutting him with the worst pain he had ever felt before. His body was shaking wildly, his head jerking itself down again as he saw all the blood stain his blue shirt. His cries for help were loud and full of pain.

The kid laughed. The boys on either side of Tao watched in horror. 

"That's for your parents firing mine," the kid hissed. "And this," the kid sent another stab to the opposite side of Tao's stomach, blood falling to his feet. Zitao yelled again, his throat sore amongst everything else. "This is just for fun."

All Zitao saw was red. All he heard was laughing. All he felt was pain.

The teacher had finally found the group. Tao had passed out by then, the last thing he felt was the cold hard ground as the boys dropped him and attempted to run.

It appeared on the news for weeks after, the scene being told over and over agin by news reporters, how elementary school boys stabbed another kid close to death.

Tao's parents easily put his attackers away. But things could never be the same, and the damage had left a permanent scar on his heart... and his stomach. 

Zitao was ashamed, afraid of who he was. He never understood why everyone hated him the way they did, and he later began to project that fear onto his parents.

After Tao was released from the hospital and all the paperwork was taken care of, the Chinese family of three relocated to South Korea. Zitao hated this change, but his parents wanted to start completely fresh, and this was their solution. Tao moved just before the start of middle school.

In Korea, Zitao's parents put him in martial arts classes. This is what had turned the young Chinese boy into such a loathsome bully today.

He grew up, and he grew cold. Tao wanted to make others feel the pain he felt, so he began to bully innocent kids, just like others had done to him. When somebody tried to object Zitao, he would just use his newly mastered skills and beat them up. 

This was how he went through his new life in Korea. He made few friends, only the most intimidating and terrifying ones, and together they formed a group that no one could oppose. Tao and his group became the most powerful people in school.

It wasn't till he beat up one of the shyest kids in school, that he got in trouble. Before, he could get away with anything because his parents were rich and he was strong. His classmates feared him, even some of the teachers did to. But when he beat up that shy kid, the kid told his mother, and the mother reported it to the police.

During Tao's trial, the evidence began to pile up. Investigators found many more cases where Zitao bullied kids at his school. Even though the Chinese's boy's parents tried to bribe the judge, the evidence became to much to just wash away with money. That's how Tao ended up in the group home, and there wasn't much chance of him getting out anytime soon.

But now, now the bully was out of the group home, but under a circumstance that he never wanted. 


Zitao watched as everyone moved around him from his place in the jail cell. He watched. He watched as none of them were effected, or cared, about his presence. He watched as cops ran around the small station, organizing files. He watched as a young woman cried, yelling about her brother and that he was missing. He watched as his cell mate twisted and the ground, sleeping.

The red paint that started this whole mess was now dried, clinging onto ever inch of him. The red reminded the Chinese boy of blood...

Tao felt like crying a lot. He wasn't happy, even though he tried to make himself believe he was. But Zitao was never happy. He couldn't remember the last time he actually had a good day. And that's odd, since he is usually the one who makes other people's days hell.

Even when Tao was around his friends, like Luhan and Yifan, he didn't know how to act. He didn't know a nice way to be without people hating him. He had to be mean, or else things would go back to the way they used to be, where Tao was the victim and others were the bullies.

Tao never wanted to hurt Baekhyun to that extent, but he just loss control. The red and the laughing impaired him, it made him go crazy.

Crying wasn't an option. This pain had made a permanent spot in Zitao's heart. Without this feeling, he would be lost. He had lived so long with this emotion, that he couldn't imagine any other way of living. 

Of course, he saw how others were happier than him, and were nicer people, but that wasn't how it worked for the bully. 

Tao looked up, his eyes widening as he saw a familiar figure walk through the doors of the police station. He watched in shock as he saw his caregiver lifelessly drag his feet along, not noticing how the tall Chinese boy was behind bars. 

"Excuse me," Heechul said, gaining the attention of a nearby cop. "I'm here for Zitao." The cop gave the caregiver a confused look, needing more explanation as tonight was a busy night. "Um... he should have just arrived a couple hours ago."

The cop finally nodded, forming an O shape with his mouth in realization. "Go to that desk over there and they should give you all the papers and information you need."

The caregiver thanked the officer, than walked over to the desk where he was pointed to. The lady at the desk looked up at Heechul, giving a small smile.

"How may I help you?"

Heechul took a seat in a chair opposite of the lady.

"Umm - I'm here for Huang Zitao."

The woman nodded, clicking away and typing on her computer. "Ah yes, Zitao. He just came in a couple of hours ago. He should be.... over there." The lady pointed over to the tall boy who was staring at them from the jail cell. Heechul didn't look, he didn't want to.

"I'm here to just to fill out the paper work."

"O-okay." She said. "Are you his father?"

"Caregiver. His parents are out of town right now, but they're on their way back."

The lady nodded, checking back on the file on her to computer to confirm, then giving the caregiver papers to be filled out.

"He won't be able to be released straight into your custody again, sir." Heechul stopped writing, looking up in surprise at the woman's words.

"Where will he be released to then?"

"He is to spend a week in jail, minimum, and then the judge will decide if he will go back with you, or go somewhere else."

"Oh." The caregiver tried not to care. His main concern was Baekhyun, and he shouldn't worry about what happens to Tao. But Heechul still did care. To the caregiver, all those boys in his group home where like his sons. But Heechul knew he couldn't do anything to help Tao. He had to give up.

Zitao sat in silence, his mind only focusing on both the woman and his caregiver. Tao watched. He watched as Heechul filled out the papers, and he watched as his caregiver left the station without saying a word to him. He could only watch.

He cried. For the first time in years, Zitao cried.

***
Hope you guys liked the chapter! Also, I've been informed that my story has a lot of grammatical errors, and I'll try to fix that! :p I read my chapters over to make sure they make sense, but I sometimes still overlook things. I'm sorry :( and I'll try really hard to fix them!