The Kiss

We Can't Marry!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day after the engagement-styled party at the restaurant, Baekhyun and Chanyeol's wedding was fast approaching. "You know, I'm still kind of surprised that we weren't told to marry on the day we got that letter," the brunette vocalist said in S.M. practice room. It was 10 am and all the Exo members were taking a break from rehearsing the choreographies for some of their title tracks such as Monster and Love Me Right seeing as their Exo'rdium tour in Seoul was two months away.

"Yeah well, they probably gave us a few days to adjust to the whole thing. It's a huge change for not only us but the others as well," Chanyeol answered as he drank some water and wiped off his face. "Unless you wanted to get married earlier," the taller mused teasingly through his trademark smirk only to laugh immediately as he dodged a sweaty towel thrown his way. Baekhyun could get so worked up over trivial things. It was one of the things Chanyeol secretly loved about the older. 

"Dream on Yoda," Baekhyun huffed annoyingly (embarrassingly), avoiding his best friend's gaze. Chanyeol grinned stupidly from ear-to-ear having made his favourite vocalist embarrassed which showed all too easily through his poor attempts to try and hide it.

"It's okay Baeky, you don't have to hide anything from me. Just be honest with yourself," Chanyeol winked playfully, seating himself next to his peeved friend who looked like he was ready to punch the younger in the face. Either that, or the ground to open up and swallow him alive, and Chanyeol could say he was enjoying the sight all too much. "You have five seconds to take everything back," Baekhyun said coldly. Well so much for that. 

"Take what back, Baeky?" Chanyeol asked feigning innocence as he smiled sweetly. Baekhyun started counting down, leaning his back against the wall. "4..." Chanyeol's eyes widened slightly, "But I really didn't say anything wrong." 

"3..." 

"Come on Baek, you know you can just admit it. I won't say anything," Chanyeol nudged the older's side stubbornly. 

"1..."

"Okay okay I take it all back just don't hurt me!" Chanyeol babbled, earning a victory smile from Baekhyun. 

"That's what I thought. Now let's join the others," the vocalist said as he stood up from his place on the bench to resume their practice just as one of their songs started from the top. "You didn't exactly deny it properly," Chanyeol mumbled under his breath, pouting as he stood up and joined the other members for the last dance that day. 

The Exo members started doing their well-rehearsed choreography to Overdose in front of the wide full-length mirror they were so accustomed to. After the song was over the members each went their own ways, some taking their towels into the shower rooms while others sat around catching their breaths. Chanyeol sat with Baekhyun, Sehun and Luhan on the floor, talking about their plans for later.

"I'm not doing anything special," the Chinese member said. But Sehun shook his head to this, seemingly not agreeing. "Have you forgotten that you promised to go out and get bubble tea with me hyung? You can't back out now," the youngest Exo member said hurriedly, grabbing Luhan's arm as he did so.

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow from behind his water bottle as he listened to the conversation (which somehow felt more like eavesdropping given the circumstance), immediately catching onto something. "So you guys are dating then?" Chanyeol chuckled, already guessing where this would lead to. 

Luhan turned crimson at the question. Sehun seemed unfazed. Neither Chanyeol nor Baekhyun was surprised. "Well..." Sehun began amusingly only to have the baby-faced man interrupt him, "No, no and no we are absolutely not dating!" he snapped. Not yet, Baekhyun thought jokingly. 

"That's too bad," Tao remarked unexpectedly from his place behind the group of friends in the relatively quiet room. "Holy crap don't do that again! You scared the bejeesus out of us," Chanyeol nearly shouted.

"Well it's not my fault my friends are a bunch of scaredy cats," the panda-eyed member stated casually. "Says the guy who was crying in the haunted house on Showtime," Sehun snorted in laughter as the others quickly followed suit. "You said you would never bring that up again!" Baekhyun rolled his eyes ignoring him, "yeah yeah why are you here anyway?" 

"Oh. Junmyeon wanted to talk to Baekhyun and Chanyeol about something. Seemed important," Tao replied leaning against the door frame. Said members exchanged looks of curiosity from the corner of their eyes, wondering what it could be about.

The last time Suho called the pair in to talk privately was during their earlier debut years when Baekhyun and Chanyeol wouldn't shut up until two in the night, resulting in everyone else looking like sleep deprived zombies in the morning. That's a day they don't ever wish to re-live. 

"Yeah, sure thing. Thanks for telling us," Chanyeol said with a lopsided smile before Tao exited the room. "Oooh you guys are screwed," Sehun said through a smug smile. "We're not screwed. Right Yeol?" Chanyeol gave a small uncertain nod of his head wanting to believe that Baekhyun's words were true. "R-right. Totally not screwed." 

⊰∵ ⍤∵ ⊱

That evening, Baekhyun and Chanyeol were at Exo's dorm waiting for the others to return from their shopping spree. Why were they the only ones left behind you may ask? "I can't believe we forgot we have cleaning duties today," Chanyeol huffed bitterly as he scrubbed the grime off the surfaces of the kitchen sink with vigour.

The Exo members each took turns on cleaning duties for a day and on this particular evening, Chanyeol and Baekhyun had been charged with cleaning the entire lounge, kitchen and guest room. They loathed it, but it had to be done. 

"I don't want to see a speck of dust on my counters when we get back," Kyungsoo had said prior to leaving the two behind while everyone else was getting ready to go out. 

"Oh, also make sure there aren't any bits of marshmallow under the couch. Sehun is a really messy eater," Luhan whispered to Baekhyun before looking around to make sure the maknae wasn't around to hear. 

Baekhyun scrunched his nose up as he picked up the mouldy, sticky pieces of marshmallow from under the cream couch, disposing of them in a trash bag he was carrying. "Luhan wasn't kidding around earlier." The vocalist stood up from his uncomfortable crouching position on the floor and tied a knot in the bag, now filled to the brim with waste. "Do you know what Jun might tell us?"

"No clue," the younger replied. "We'll just have to wait until he gets back. And just think, we could be enjoying ourselves with the others in Myeongdong. But instead, here we are." The rapper grumbled, pulling his dirty rubber gloves off in disgust. 

The two had been working for just over an hour. It was a miracle they could even feel their arms at this point because of the exhaustion that had started taking a toll on their bodies. 

"Don't tell me about it, I despise cleaning duties. But on the bright side at least we're more or less done around here." Baekhyun closed the latch on the back door after having taken the trash out. "True. I don't know about you but a long hot bath seems really tempting right now," Chanyeol sighed as he finished the last bit of cleaning in the dorm's kitchen. Baekhyun chuckled, "way ahead of you." 

⊰∵ ⍤∵ ⊱

Baekhyun laughed as he listened to his friend's ludicrous story in the newly cleaned and lavender scented lounge. "You don't mean that." Chanyeol chuckled as he nodded, taking a sip of his red wine. "Trust me, I do. Haven't I told you before that my sister is your biggest stan? She once had a shrine built for Le Byun Baekhyun you know."

The brunette glanced at his taller friend in disbelief, squinting his eyes in scrutiny. "So you're trying to tell me that she'll have a life crisis if she finds out that we're getting married? A bit over the top don't you think?" 

"Maybe. But she bugs the hell out of me asking about you whenever I call her." Chanyeol smiled sheepishly, half joking and half serious in his answer. Baekhyun chuckled as he leant back on the couch cushions, scratching his head lightly. "Speaking of sister, I've been meaning to ask you something." 

"I'm all ears." Baekhyun giggled slightly as he lightly tugged on the younger's cutely-shaped prominent ears. "Oh trust me, I know very well." Chanyeol pouted as he tried to shake Baekhyun's hand off. "Come on stop messing with me. What is it?" 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter