The Confession

We Can't Marry!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I'd just like to say thank you for being so patient, I know my updates are inconsistent as hell :((( I really need to work on that...Vacations just seem to make me really lazy, so fingers-crossed that the next chapter will be up a lot quicker because my college opened this week.

But anyway, sorry for the very long wait (holy , two weeks, to be exact ;-;) and, yeah, maybe this update made up for it...(?)

I may or may not have been half-asleep typing the ending and I also didn't fully proofread, forgive me for my stupidity. 

...(please don't hate me).

 

"So. How's the married life?" Sehun asked after a while, disrupting the uncomfortable silence that had fallen in the room after his boyfriend had pulled Baekhyun out. The only audible sound was that of the clock ticking and if they listened closely enough, the faint sounds of Luhan and Baekhyun murmuring somewhere in the huge house. Neither Chanyeol nor Sehun really knew where the other two had gone to or why they left in such a hurry in the first place, but they would sure be having some interesting conversations later on.

Chanyeol heard the question but didn't know how to answer it. It hadn't even been a full week since he and Baekhyun were married, so how was married life with your best friend supposed to feel like anyway? At one point Chanyeol was sure he knew, he was sure it was supposed to be amazing. But it didn't feel much different to when he and Baekhyun weren't married...which was kind of a good thing, supposedly, because he and Baekhyun are really good friends. But Chanyeol wasn't so sure anymore. He wasn't so sure if it should just feel the same as before.

"You there?" The younger male asked quietly, sensing how silent the other had gotten and pulling Chanyeol out of his thoughts as he waved a hand in front of the taller male's face who nodded slightly. "You know, at first I really thought you were messing around about that sleeping in separate beds. Now that I've seen it for myself, it's so obvious how badly they want you two to hook up," Sehun mused, chuckling to himself. Chanyeol quirked an eyebrow at this, throwing Sehun a look as if to ask, really? 

"That's not the first time you've heard stuff like that you know," Sehun simply shrugged, pulling out his phone. Chanyeol looked at the younger male for a while, taking a deep breath and once again he wondered if Sehun knew something that he didn't, which was already more than likely. "Actually about that, can I ask you something about the letter you put in with our gift?" Sehun gave a small nod in response, keeping his eyes glued on the screen of his phone dismissively.  "I wanted to know exactly what it meant." 

Sehun finally looked up from the device, looking at Chanyeol with an unreadable expression. "It meant exactly what I wrote. Unless you're telling me that you didn't get it?" Chanyeol rolled his eyes at how stupid Sehun could be. "No I couldn't because someone smudged the last word," he replied blandly, sliding the letter across the table to the younger who glanced at what he wrote.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn't know this, but Sehun didn't want Luhan to see him writing the last part of the letter so he had to do it in secret, which wasn't the easiest task. It ended up with Sehun smudging the last word on the page just when his boyfriend peeked over his shoulder to get a glimpse, which he narrowly missed the chance to. Sehun knew that the newly wed wouldn't appreciate it if he mysteriously found out that Baekhyun liked Chanyeol (which was only made possible thanks to Luhan), and the honey blonde wanted to make sure Sehun didn't let slip anything he wasn't supposed to, especially to Chanyeol.    

"I...did that on purpose. Obviously," Sehun said, making something up from the top of his head badly. "Pfft, as if I'm buying that. Just tell me," Chanyeol pressed on as he looked at Sehun intently. "There's something you're hiding from me, and it's to do with Baekhyun. Isn't it?" Sehun shrugged, hoping to come across as calm and collected when inside he could practically hear his boyfriend's voice telling him how screwed he'll be if he doesn't stop now. "Yeah. But if you can't figure out what I meant then...then maybe you don't deserve for me to tell you."

"Huh?! Why would you write it if you didn't want me to know?" Chanyeol demanded, glaring daggers at the bratty blonde for keeping such a potentially big thing from him.

"Well, you make a good point. Tell you what, why don't you go up to your husband and ask him what I meant instead?" Sehun asked smugly, stopping himself in time before he threw a smirk at Chanyeol. He was surely screwed by Luhan for sure now, but Sehun decided it was well worth it. Luhan was foolish to blurt out details about their friend's slightly strange relationship to Sehun in the first place anyway. Everyone knows Sehun is at keeping secrets.   

"How on earth would Baekhyun know what you're talking about?" Chanyeol asked, confusion heavily laced in his voice. Sehun offered a small smile, passing the letter back. "Oh don't you worry, he knows." Chanyeol rubbed the back of his neck, only getting even more confused now. He felt like he was in some weird guessing game, going back and forth between Sehun and Baekhyun. "Is this what you felt like when you and Luhan were hiding your relationship?"

The younger chuckled under his breath, finishing the last bit of his beer. "You could say that. Now you know what it's like." Chanyeol sighed slightly, running a hand through his hair. "You're really not going to tell me, huh?"

"You'll thank me later for messing up that letter and not telling you," Sehun assured with a smile. Chanyeol didn't push it any further, as tempting as it was to force it out of Sehun. "I'm taking your word for it." 

 

 

 

 

 

The next morning Chanyeol woke up to an empty house. He couldn't seem to hear Baekhyun anywhere and he wasn't in his room either. Not knowing where the brunette could have gone to, Chanyeol decided to try Baekhyun's phone. He frowned after it rang until the end before going to voicemail. Chanyeol washed up and got dressed, padding downstairs into the kitchen and looking around to see if the vocalist could have left a note with his whereabouts, which sadly he didn't.

Chanyeol thought how it was slightly uncharacteristic for Baekhyun to not have told him where he was going yesterday, seeing as that was just something the both of them did. In fact, since yesterday after Sehun and Luhan left Baekhyun seemed to be a bit...distant. As much as he wanted to, Chanyeol didn't ask him if there was something wrong- whether it was something he said or did wrong at all because if so, Chanyeol would do whatever he could to fix it. A quiet and distant Baekhyun put a damper on Chanyeol's mood and he was sure it didn't make the latter feel any better about anything either. 

He tried not to think about it too much though and grabbed his wallet and the car keys, noticing that Baekhyun had already taken the keys for their other car. He left the house, driving to the nearest coffee shop to grab his daily morning dose of caffeine before dropping by the SM office. Thankfully morning traffic was something Chanyeol didn't find himself caught up in and he was able to grab his coffee and arrive at the office in time.

As he walked in and pressed the button for one of the elevators he saw that Suho, Chen, Kyungsoo, and Luhan were already there, coming out from one of the practice rooms on the lower ground. "When did you guys get here?" Chanyeol asked, figuring out that they must have all been here for vocal training.

"About an hour ago," Kyungsoo answered. "You just missed Baekhyun." Chanyeol's eyes widened slightly at the piece of information. So Baekhyun just left for practice, as usual. "What, but how? I just got here." Kyungsoo shrugged, Suho and Chen telling him that they'll be waiting in the car. "He left just a few minutes ago before you came. I thought you would both come here together from now on," the owl-eyed male spoke. "He wanted to leave a bit earlier than us, though I have no idea why."

Chanyeol frowned because he would have liked to run into Baekhyun and talk to him, even if it was for a little while. He would be lying if he said he wasn't tempted to just drive back to their house to see Baekhyun. Chanyeol didn't miss the way Luhan looked over at him as if he was an anxious parent worried about his son not returning home. Chanyeol decided not to think about it. "Did he tell you anything? Anything important?" The honey blonde walked closer and whispered. Chanyeol only shook his head, not knowing what Luhan was talking about. "Should I have been told about something important?"

Luhan bit his lip for a minute, not meeting Chanyeol's eyes. "Did Sehun tell you anything then?" He asked instead, choosing to leave the taller male's question unanswered. Chanyeol, not expecting all these questions to rain down on him, raised an eyebrow slightly. "Your boyfriend didn't tell me jack . That brat told me to ask Baekhyun about it instead only, I've barely had the chance to since yesterday." Luhan nodded slowly, taking in everything he was told carefully. Kyungsoo cleared his throat slightly, signaling to Luhan that they should get going.    

"Well okay, thanks anyway," the rapper said dishearteningly. Luhan offered a small smile before the elevator doors opened and Chanyeol stepped in. "You don't have much to worry about. Just wait for him," Luhan reassured as the doors closed, leaving Chanyeol to run what the vocalist said over in his head again. What doesn't he have much to worry about? Wait for who to do what? Chanyeol sighed, pressing the button for the fourth floor. It was going to be a long day. 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol weren't the perfect pair of friends, they've had their arguments in the past. But the one thing that neither of them has ever done is to avoid each other. The silent treatment was pretty close (and pretty harsh too), but it doesn't compare to this. Chanyeol wondered if maybe Baekhyun wouldn't ever get used to just living alone with him. It wouldn't come off as a surprise if that was the case, but right now he had no idea if that was the reason why the older had started avoiding him.   

Chanyeol stepped out of the elevator and walked into the practice room, expecting to see the one person who he could rightfully declare was the source of Chanyeol's frustration. "What's with the long face?" Sehun asked, grinning too obnoxiously for a Monday morning. "Shouldn't you be bragging about how great Baekhyun is and telling everyone how great your marriage is?"

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and suddenly wished he hadn't shown up to practice after all. He chose to stay quiet, taking a seat as he began reading through the notes their manager had left. Sehun frowned when Chanyeol didn't answer. "Hey, is everything okay with you and Baek?" The younger asked. Chanyeol kept his head down, looking at the notes but he had stopped reading them. "I don't know," he replied quietly after some time. "He won't talk to me." 

Sehun opened his mouth to say something, only to close it seconds after. He wasn't expecting to hear that. "That . Any idea why?"

"No clue, but maybe if you and Luhan would have just told me then I would have understood everything better," Chanyeol replied curtly. The blonde heaved a sigh, resting his chin the palm of his hand. "Look, I didn't choose to into all this. Luhan just had to go and tell me that Baekhyun's got this huge cru--"

The older male looked up from the sheet of paper after Sehun cut himself off, narrowing his eyes at him. "That sounded really wrong for a second." Sehun, having replayed what he just said to Chanyeol, shook his head quickly. "No no, that's not what I was going to say," he clarified, and Chanyeol wasn't as tense as before. "I'm more than happy with Luhan's," Sehun mumbled quietly but loud enough for the other to hear, to which Chanyeol wished he hadn't and waited for Sehun to finish. "Well? Go on."

Sehun looked at Chanyeol weirdly for a second. "Okay, well, Baekhyun is cute I guess but Luhans just a lot--"

"For god's sake, not that. The thing you were about to say before just before you stopped," Chanyeol huffed impatiently. Sehun really could be a moron sometimes. "Oh, right. It doesn't matter, well at least not for now. Wait fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter