The Wedding

We Can't Marry!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Baek, wake up," Chanyeol tried again, pushing his sleeping friend's body which was currently curled up into a cocoon of his duvet. "Baek if you don't get up now we're going to be late. We have to be there early." Chanyeol sighed when he only got a small shuffle from beneath the sheets. Seeing no other option, the taller walked to the foot of the bed and yanked the awkwardly arranged duvet off of the vocalist, revealing a grumpy and pouting Baekhyun underneath with his adorable dishevelled bed head. "Okay I'm up," Baekhyun having lost the warmth of his bed, grumbled slightly in defeat and finally decided to crawl out of his bed.

The younger male glanced towards Baekhyun, being quick to notice the brunette's tired expression from his eyes. "Sleepless night?" Chanyeol asked warily as he quickly made the brunette's bed. Baekhyun nodded slowly with a smile, running a hand through his hair lazily. "I guess you could say that. It's no big deal, it happens."  

Baekhyun and Chanyeol had been notified of their wedding date and location recently, and they were pretty sure that their manager wouldn't be the happiest person ever if they showed up late for the venue. That didn't stop Baekhyun from spending a quarter of the night laying wide awake in bed though, just contemplating things.

Chanyeol looked at his shorter friend when he was met with Baekhyun looking back. He smiled, but inside he couldn't help but feel slightly anxious for the brunette. The rapper had been nervous about the wedding himself (hell this was his best friend, how could he not be?), but Chanyeol knew that the latter had been rather apprehensive about it from the start. Was he really going to be okay? "I'll go and wash up then," he said before heading to the bathroom attached to their room.

Chanyeol was about to leave the room to see if the other members were already up seeing as it was uncharacteristically quiet around the dorm. It was a Sunday, so no one should have practice. He stopped in his tracks though when he remembered what their manager had told them to do earlier this morning prior to showing up for their wedding. He walked towards the bathroom where he could the shower running from the other side of the ajar door.

"Baek, manager hyung told us that we' have to make a stop at the tailors," Chanyeol spoke loudly enough for his friend to hear. There was a brief silence before the rapper got some sort of response. "How come this is the first I'm hearing of this Yeol?" Baekhyun asked back. Chanyeol could only assume that he wanted to sound peeved, though it didn't sound anywhere near it. "Oh, um, I was only told about it this morning. When you were still asleep. But I don't really think it will take long there." The rapper didn't really understand what the fuss was about. Sure, they were getting married, but the need to go out and get tailor-made suits? Totally unnecessary in his book.

Or so he thought because approximately fifteen minutes later here he stood as still as a statue inside an overly fancy tailor store (apparently one of the hottest tailor stores in Seoul), currently getting his shoulder width measured. He was definitely wrong for the part about the whole process not taking long because he was positive that he had been standing in this position for half an hour. Either that or Chanyeol was way too bored. He could only imagine his poor friend stuck in the same situation somewhere else in the store.  

When they had entered the store, the two members had been ushered into separate rooms to have their measurements taken. "We should have been told earlier," the vocalist had expressed on the way there and Chanyeol was relieved because at least he knew that he wasn't the only one who thought the same. It also doesn't make much sense either. "Don't these things take weeks to make?" Chanyeol asked the tailor who was finally putting away his measuring tape, indicating that the rapper could now move freely once again. "The wedding is today though."

The man chuckled as he pushed his glasses further up on the bridge of his nose. "Oh, they do. You and Baekhyun-ssi came here today so that I could ensure that the measurements given to me by your manager matched the ones for the suit I made for you in advance." Chanyeol was about to ask what he meant but the tailor was already making his way to a large closet, opening it and carefully taking out the wedding attire. One glance at it and Chanyeol surprised himself when he was met with a jet black suit with satin lapels, matched with plain black skinny pants and a crisp white dress shirt.

"What so I get to wear that?" Chanyeol managed to ask after taking his eyes off of what must have easily been the priciest outfit he had gotten to wear. It would really to spill something on that. "Of course. Please try it on so we can see if it fits." When Chanyeol changed into the suit and stared at his full reflection in the dressing room mirror, he suddenly got the impression that this wedding was not going to be taken very lightly. He should have seen this coming earlier.    

Unbeknownst to him, Baekhyun thought of the same thing. As he saw himself now dressed in his own newly fitted charcoal grey suit, Baekhyun decided what the hell, he was going to let himself be surprised today. Because who knows, maybe he and Chanyeol were really going to be in for a surprise. 

The two were instantly swarmed with screaming fans trying to take their pictures the moment they stepped outside so they practically had to run to the SUV parked outside the store. It was too early in the morning for this, and getting himself videoed was the last thing Baekhyun wanted. Chanyeol seemed to detect this too as he was quick to cover the brunette, making him walk in front so he could reach the vehicle first. 

Neither of them said much to each other on the journey there except for exchanging a few glances here and there. But they were both thinking the same thing- from this day onwards, they wouldn't just be friends. 

 

 

 

The wedding chapel they arrived at looked old but grand from its exterior. It was one they were both familiar with, having been told that many drama and film actors had been wed here. The pair walked up the steps, entering the chapel's foyer where they were once again greeted with a small crowd of fans. Their manager had already been waiting for their arrival there so Chanyeol and Baekhyun were swiftly approached by him. "Is it okay for all these fans to be here?" Chanyeol asked hesitantly. The manager nodded reluctantly, guiding them further into the building where the fans were out of sight. "Things are under control for now, and I've already told many fans to go away because when I got here I couldn't even get inside. And I could be mistaken, but I think some of them were camping out here all night." Baekhyun's eyes widened at this. "All night?! How?"

"Tents, Baek."

Baekhyun rolled his eyes as they continued walking further. "Thanks, genius. I meant, where could they have set up tents? It's all concrete and roads out there. There's not even enough space." The manager stopped once they reached a dressing room. "There's a park that's a few minute walk from here. I'm guessing a lot of them spent the night there."

"This is just too much," the brunette sighed as he shook his head. "Maybe, but don't forget that your shippers have been dreaming of this moment, so it won't be a big deal to them if they spend the night outside in tents," the manager said as he opened the dressing room. The company is only adding to the hype, Chanyeol thought inwardly as he heaved a sigh because he knew there would be no use saying it aloud. Policies are policies. 

Everyone remotely familiar with the Exo fandom knew that Baekhyun and Chanyeol had been shipped together for the longest time, probably from their debut stage, but the vocalist couldn't imagine that it would reach such lengths like this. Baekhyun couldn't tell if he was honoured or uncomfortable. 

"You two should get changed about now. Did you get the clothes?" Chanyeol and Baekhyun held the boutique bags up and nodded before they went into their respective dressing rooms. 

Not long after, Baekhyun was getting the finishing touches before he was ready. "Oh, Baekhyun-ssi," one of the noonas said as she approached the vocalist when Baekhyun stepped out of his dressing room. "There's only a few more things we need to take care of and all the guests are yet to arrive, but you can't see Chanyeol just yet. Please stay put here for a little longer," she explained, and Baekhyun walked back into his dressing room. "Smile. It'll be absolutely fine," she reassured when she noticed the vocalist tapping his fingers relentlessly on the arm of the couch. 

"Have you ever gotten married?" 

The question came out of nowhere, automatically and without any thought, and it was evident that the woman wasn't expecting it. Her eyes widened slightly as she looked at Baekhyun, who realised what he had just said. "Ah, n-no, I didn't mean to offend you."

"I have," she replied with a soft smile. "And coincidentally, he's my childhood friend." Baekhyun listened to the woman silently. "I can kind of understand how you feel. But believe me when I say that it will be fine. It will be okay, no matter how bad you think it can get. You will still always be best friends at the end of the day, no?"

Baekhyun might not have always gotten along with Chanyeol, but he couldn't deny that what he was hearing was in fact true to its words. The marriage was undoubtedly unfair but the more Baekhyun thought about it, the more he realised that the worse case scenario was more than unlikely to happen. Because they're best friends, and nothing could change that. Baekhyun looked up at the woman, nodding slightly in acknowledgement. "Thank you. I needed some encouragement." 

"No problem. I just wish you and Chanyeol-ssi the very best," she said. "  

How much longer? Chanyeol sighed, leaning against the door frame of the dressing room he had been waiting in. All this waiting around was making him impatient, to say the least. He would have thought that it would have taken a lot quicker, but it was clear he stood incorrectly. Chanyeol tried not to think about it too much, but his mind kept wandering back to whether this marriage would affect their relationship. Chanyeol realised that perhaps he was being paranoid, but deep down he knew that these feelings were a given when it came to anything that involved Baekhyun. 

 

 

 

"That's a lot of people," Chanyeol muttered under his breath as he stole a peek of the hall where the wedding would take place. "I thought you said you wanted to keep it simple with a few of our closest friends." Their manager scratched his head as he shrugged his shoulders, hoping that Chanyeol and Baekhyun would understand. "Initially that was the plan. But Soo Man sure knows how to makes some drastic last-minute changes." Oh right, of course that would be the reason.

"You think?" Baekhyun asked sarcastically, suddenly popping out of nowhere and joining them. "Baekhyun-ssi! You weren't supposed to show up yet, you know it's bad luck for the groom to see the--"

"Don't you dare say it," Baekhyun cut off in warning and Chanyeol could have sworn he was glaring ever so slightly at their manager who put his hands up in pretence defeat. "...No of course not. I was kidding, of course, you look as manly as ever," the man chuckled somewhat anxiously.  "The guests are all here. Whenever you're both ready. Goodluck, I wish you two the best!" And with that, he disappeared through the doors, opening it enough to let himse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter