the ghosts of love (meiwon)

WJSN Dawon One Shots

“Have a good night, Doc!”

 

“Good work today, Doctor Nam.”

 

“See ya tomorrow, Dawon!”

 

Dawon smiled and bowed at the people who greeted her on the way to the office.

 

“Going home now, Dawon?” Xuanyi asked.

 

“Yeah. Can’t wait to get a good night sleep,” Dawon replied while stretching her arms.

 

“Oh, not going to visit your girlfriend?” Xuanyi teased.

 

Dawon almost missed the hook for her lab coat.

 

“For the last time, she’s not my girlfriend,” the younger girl said as she closed her locker.

 

“We’re just really good friends.” She added.

 

“After sending each other good morning and night texts everyday, delivering coffee to you every friday, and visiting her after your shift, you still consider her as a ‘good friend’?” Xuanyi asked with a grin.

 

“Not to mention, that big smile on your face when you text her.”

 

Dawon chuckled and just brushed off her friend’s comment.

 

“We’re just friends unnie, nothing more than that.”

 

There felt a slight pinch on her heart when she said that.

 

-

 

Instead of turning and going straight home, Dawon drives the other way.

 

She passes by stores upon stores, until she reached the corner of the street and parks her car in front of a small coffee shop.

 

The little bell on the door rung when she opened the door. She was greeted with the smell of coffee beans and cinnamon, and the sound of soft indie music.

 

A door behind the counter opened after hearing the bell. A girl with light brown hair came out, still wearing an apron over her plain white shirt and jeans, her hair tied up in a messy bun.

 

She squinted her eyes at the person due to the fact that she dimmed the lights down already.

 

“Dawon!”

 

The girl sprinted towards her and literally jumped on to her.

 

“Hey, Meiqi,”

 

Meng Meiqi. Dawon’s big fat crush that she doesn’t want to admit. They’ve known each other since their freshman year of university— filled with casual flirting which almost turned into a relationship, but, neither of them seems to want to admit.

 

“You made it. I thought you were going to be busy again.” Meiqi said as she made her way behind the counter.

 

“Well I figured I declined your offer so many times. And I missed you…your coffee!”

 

Dawon gulped at that close slip up, scratching the back of her neck in embarrassment.

 

There was a hopeful glint in Meiqi’s eyes until Dawon said that last part. She gave the older girl a small smile and continues on what she was doing.

 

“I missed you, too.” Meiqi said to herself, busying herself with the coffee.


 

“So how’s work?”

 

Dawon took a sip of her coffee. Bitter with just the right amount of sweetness, just how she likes it.

 

“Busy as always. How about you?”

 

Meiqi only nods and takes a sip of her tea.

 

“Good.”

 

Something felt off about Meiqi tonight. She kept on swirling her cup around and her mind seems to be somewhere else.

 

“I find it funny how you own a coffee shop, yet you love tea more than anything,”  Dawon comments, trying to snap Meiqi out of her trance.

 

Meiqi shrugs. “Caffeine gets boring.”

 

The two share a moment of quiet as they look at the cars passing by— looking at anything but each other.

 

Trying to come up with a conversation, failed.

 

There was a small space between the two. In fact, one move would cause their arms to brush.

 

“I’m going back to China.” She confesses.

 

Dawon almost chokes on her coffee.

 

“W-what?”

 

Meiqi sighs and sets her cup down.

 

“I’m going back to China. I don’t know for how long.”

 

It was quiet between them again. Both not knowing what to say after what Meiqi said.

 

“When? Do you have to?” Dawon asked, still hoping that Meiqi would stay.

 

She just nods. “Tomorrow, eleven o’clock in the morning.”

 

“Well, if you have to then… what’s stopping you?”

 

That question hits Meiqi, right in the chest. She badly wants to say ‘you’— she cannot bear the feeling of not confessing her love for Dawon.

 

“I think it’s the fact that… if I don’t come back…” Meiqi trails off.

 

Her chest feels tight and it was suddenly difficult to breathe. She bites her lips to fight back the tears that were threatening to fall.

 

“I won’t be able to see you anymore.” She says to herself.

 

Meiqi feels something slip between her fingers. She looks at those soft delicate hands of hers—that she gets to hold whenever she can, fingers that would brush against her own when they walked a little too close to each other.

 

“Hey, it’s going to be okay.” Dawon tells her reassuringly.

 

Dawon looks at the younger girl— examining her features. Her hair that was growing past her shoulders, the dark circles forming under her eyes, plump pink lips, and her hazelnut coloured eyes that she can get lost in.

 

This would be a perfect moment to confess, but, it was too late. They already have a limited time together, what’s the point when it’s all going to lead to heartbreak?

 

“Don’t miss me too much, okay?” Dawon said trying to lift up the mood.

 

Meiqi laughs bitterly, but, Dawon doesn’t seem to notice.

 

“I’ll try.”

-

 

“Woah,” Dawon’s roommate slash best friend said.

 

She was surprised to see Dawon walk in with puffy red eyes and a tear stained face this late at night.

 

“Not now, Luda,”

 

Dawon settles herself on the couch opposite of Luda.

 

“You okay, Dawon?” Luda asked concern laced with her tone.

 

“Yeah, just got a lot of things in mind.” Dawon replies while massaging her temples.

 

“Is it about Meiqi?” Her friend guessed, and she’s taking the silence from Dawon as a ‘yes’.

 

“I’m telling you, Dawon. Tell her now before it’s too late-“

 

“It is too late!” Dawon cuts her off, sending her friend a glare telling her to drop the topic.

 

Luda breathes through her nose heavily. She knows how important the young coffee shop owner is to Dawon.

 

“What happened?” Luda asked.

 

“Meiqi is going back to China tomorrow.”

 

Luda raised her eyebrows at Dawon’s response. It was clear to her now why she was crying.

 

The night ended with the two having a heart to heart talk— more so to comfort Dawon. But, by the end of it, she has finally come to terms that, even though she never told Meiqi her true feelings,

 

Maybe it was for the best.

 

-

 

That night, Dawon goes to sleep with a heavy heart. She figures a good night sleep would be able to fix it, so she goes to bed early.

 

Not too long after Dawon falls asleep, a figure appeared next to her in a red cloak.

 

Cold water was splashed onto Dawon, making her sit up and fight with her blanket due to the shock.

 

“Finally! You’re awake!”

 

Dawon rubbed her eyes, ready to fight the person once her vision was cleared.

 

“Hurry up and change, we’re going to run out of time!”

 

That fast high-pitched sounds so familiar.

 

“Xuanyi?” Dawon said in disbelief.

 

“Yes, yes, it’s me. Now get up!” The girl said throwing a random shirt towards her.

 

“Wait! First of all, how did you get in? Second, why are you dressed like that?” Dawon asked pointing at her red cloak.

 

“And third, it’s ten o’clock! I have no time for your games, I have work tomorrow! Go sleep on the couch or something.”

 

Xuanyi tapped her foot impatiently while Dawon goes back to bed.

 

“Alright then.”

 

She snaps her fingers and just like that she was gone— and so was Dawon.

 

“Hey— what the— Xuanyi where the did you… Am I… back in university?”

 

Xuanyi grinned.

 

“Now that I have your attention, let’s begin,”

 

With a wave of her hand, their feet were off the ground.

 

“Let me introduce myself. I’m Xuanyi, the ghost of love from the past. I am here to show you scenes or moments that happened when you fell in love in the past, particularly with Meiqi,”

 

She led them in front of a campus. Scattered with many students and staff.

 

“Don’t worry we’re practically invisible.” Xuanyi added seeing how Dawon was trying to hide her pyjamas.

 

Dawon relaxes and stands beside Xuanyi, taking in her surroundings.

 

The old concrete floor looked familiar.

 

“Are we in Starship University?!” Dawon gasped.

 

“Dawon! Luda! Over here!”

 

Dawon turns around to that familiar girly voice.

 

“Soobin unnie?”

 

A person with brown hair passes through Dawon.

 

“I-is that me?”

 

It was like she was watching her memories. When she had dark brown hair, Luda had a short blonde bob, Seola and Soobin — who are still together— just started dating.

 

“This was your first day of university. You stuck with your group of friends until, your friend group grew,”

 

They watched as another group approached hers, and a girl with red hair instantly caught Dawon’s attention.

 

“Meiqi,” She whispers.

 

“You feel it still, don’t you? The butterflies, shaky knees, and sweaty palms?”

 

The past Dawon and Meiqi locked eyes and looked away shyly— something that occasionally happens today when Dawon’s coworkers go grab a coffee at Meiqi’s shop.

 

“My job is to also show you, why you fell in love with Meiqi,”

 

Xuanyi waved her hand and another scene was placed in front of them to watch.

 

“You remember your last year of university, right?”

 

Xuanyi’s question went unanswered as Dawon’s focus was on what was in front of her.

 

This time Meiqi had dyed her hair blonde and Dawon’s was back to black.

 

“I don’t think… I’m going to find anyone like her. She’s kind, smart, funny— she’s the whole package! I’m not going to give up! One day I will tell her, even if it’s too late!”

 

Unknowingly, a tear rolled down Dawon’s face.

 

“Though you had other flings with other people, she was always on your mind. You’d always imagine Meiqi as the other person because no one else seems to fit the criteria-“

 

“Stop. Take me back. Please,”

 

Xuanyi stops.

 

“As you wish.”

 

With a snap of her fingers everything disappeared before her, even Xuanyi, and she was back in her room.

 

She checked her shirt, it was dry. Time seemed to have stopped while they went on that fiasco.

 

Dawon exhales and goes back to bed, hoping that sleep will help her forget what she just saw.

 

-

 

“— not again?!”

 

A floating figure laughed, clutching her stomach while Dawon wipes the water away.

 

“Hello, Doctor Nam, I am the ghost of love from the present. Here to show you, Doctor, to prevent something that could happen in the future!” The ghost bows.

 

“S-Sojung?! Okay that’s it! Whatever prank you guys are doing-“

 

Sojung just smiled and with the tap of her staff, a puff of white smoke appears and they were gone.

 

“It’s not funny! Now go outside and sleep on the couch… with… Xuanyi…”

 

Dawon’s voice gradually went softer once she noticed her surroundings.

 

The busy street, neon lights, and the sound of people laughing in the night sky. Her eyes took notice of the brown coffee shop in front of them.

 

“Are you curious about what happened after your coffee date with Meiqi, hm?” Sojung asked.

 

The two watched as Meiqi waves at Dawon in her car. Her expression was filled with sorrow— shoulders slouched, eyebrows furrowed, and lips pursed— as she makes her way inside the shop.

 

“Can we go inside?” Dawon asked hesitantly.

 

Sojung nods.

 

They both pass through the door without opening it and make their way towards Meiqi— who went back to her office.

 

“You remember going in here, right?”

 

Dawon nods. “But… it’s cleaner now…”

 

“Yeah, because she’s leaving for China. She got the message weeks— a month to be exact. And she has been trying to contact you so you two can spend some time together.”

 

Dawon clenches her hands and bites her lip to stop her tears from falling. Her breathing becomes heavy when she sees Meiqi tear up.

 

Meiqi’s phone rings and she quickly wipes her tears away and clears .

 

“Hey, Chengxiao! Yup, I’m all packed. Jieqiong will be able to manage the shop.… yeah I talked to her, finally,” Meiqi chuckled.

 

“Did you tell her?” Chengxiao asked.

 

It was quiet on Meiqi’s end. She leans back in her chair and looks at her hand, the one that Dawon held.

 

“I was about to… but, now’s just not the time. I don’t think there’ll ever be a time.” Meiqi smiles bitterly.

 

“Hey, don’t be like that. Listen, even if Dawon unnie doesn’t feel the same way, it’s not like your friendship with her is going away.” Chengxiao comforts her same aged friend.

 

“You don’t get it, Xiao… I know — knew she liked me before. We both liked each other… we were just scared, and just stayed as friends,”

 

Dawon drops to her knees after hearing what Meiqi just said. The tears she was trying to hold in wouldn’t stop streaming down her face.

 

“I just wish that… we were honest with each other…”

 

Sojung lifts up her staff and the two disappear once again.

 

They were transferred from the coffee shop to Dawon’s room.

 

“She… she liked me… and she still does…” Dawon said in utter disbelief.

 

She climbs back up to her feet and grabs Sojung’s white cloak and shakes her.

 

“What can I do? Can I turn back the time? What do you mean prevent something in the future?”

Dawon bombards Sojung with questions.

 

Sojung raised up her hand, stopping Dawon’s questions.

 

“It is midnight, The next ghost is going to arrive soon.”

 

Dawon’s eyes widened. “Wait! Sojung-“

 

A puff of white smoke appeared below her and engulfed the ghost.

 

The doctor looks around her room for any signs of the next ghost. Her eyes were searching every inch of her house as she backs away, bumping into something in the process.

 

“Dawon,”

 

She screams at the voice and jumps back onto her bed.

 

“I am the ghost of love yet to come.” The last ghosts had a black cloak on.

 

Fear was evident on Dawon’s face. But, when the ghost took off their hood, Dawon can’t help but laugh.

 

“Luda?” She tries to hold in her laugh.

 

The ghost squints her eyes towards Dawon. She lifts up a finger and points it towards her and lifts the taller girl up from her bed.

 

And with that Luda takes them on a longer journey compared to the previous ones.

 

When they got there, Dawon was placed back on the ground. She looked at her surroundings and noticed that they weren’t in South Korea.

 

“Are we in… China?”

 

People were speaking in a language that Dawon can’t understand, everyone was walking past her making it hard for her to comprehend why she’s here.

 

But, a familiar brown hair stood out in the crowd.

 

“Meiqi!”

 

Dawon runs towards the girl. She was a fast walker, and it looks like it’s not going to change in the future.

 

When Dawon finally caught up, Meiqi was speaking in Chinese on the phone, but, for some odd reason she could understand her.

 

Dawon wasn’t going to question why because she needs answers. What was going to happen to the two of them in the future, why is Meiqi in China, why—

 

“I can’t wait for you guys to meet her!” Meiqi said excitedly.

 

Meiqi sat on a bench and looked around her, trying to look for a certain someone.

 

Dawon sat beside her, and even though she’s invisible, she still left a small space between them.

 

“Yeah… I moved on,” She said with a smile.

 

“How is she?” Meiqi asked.

 

Dawon tears up yet again, her vision was getting blurry because of her tears. The doctor shakes her head in disbelief, not believing what she’s seeing.

 

She reaches out to hold Meiqi’s hand— watching as her hand simply goes through her.

 

A pair of hands blocks Meiqi’s vision, making Dawon jump.

 

“Yamy!” Meiqi squeals and engulfs the girl in a tight hug.

 

“Are you talking to your friends?” The girl asked.

 

“Hi~ I’m Yamy! Meiqi’s girlfriend!” Yamy exclaimed loudly.

 

Meiqi gives Yamy a small peck on the lips and smiles at her, and continues to talk on the phone while sitting on Yamy’s lap.

 

Luda stands beside a crying Dawon and rubs her back.

 

“Do you know what to do now?” Luda asked.

 

Dawon looks up at her and nods furiously. She grabs onto Luda’s cloak and said in an urgent tone,

 

“Yes! Please, take me back home. Please.”

 

Luda nods with a small smile.

 

-

 

Dawon wakes up breathing heavily, fresh tears still running down her face. She was back in her room and her shirt still wet.

 

“Was it all a dream,” she thinks to herself.

 

“Meiqi.” she says as her eyes widened.

 

Instantly she goes into her closet to change into a pair of sweats and a dry shirt.

 

Her door bursts open and she runs towards the front door.

 

“Hey, hey, calm down you’re not late for work-“

 

Dawon almost jumps at Luda’s presence.

 

“Luda! Can you call work for me and tell them I’m going to be a bit late?”

 

Luda, still confused was about to respond, but, Dawon was already out the door.

 

-

 

Dawon furiously honks her horn. She glances at the clock and sees that it was already half past ten.

 

The doctor exhales heavily, tapping her fingers on her steering wheel.

 

Finally, the traffic starts moving and she was tempted to drive past the speed limit.

 

She quickly parks her car and runs into the airport.

 

Dawon mentally curses at herself when she realizes she doesn’t know where Meiqi could be at the moment.

 

Glancing at the time she sees that she has fifteen minutes left. She breathes in and out slowly to calm herself while she thinks.

-

 

“Hello? Dawonie?” Meiqi was surprised at the older girl’s phone call.

 

“Meiqi! Where are you?” Dawon asked.

 

The brunette started worrying because she sounded out of breathe.

 

“Just waiting for my flight. Why what’s happening? Are you okay?” Meiqi stood up trying to see if she can spot Dawon.

 

“N-nothing, everything is fine… I just have something important to tell you,”

 

Meiqi grew nervous for some odd reason.

 

“Please… don’t board your flight yet. It’s important.” Dawon pleaded desperately.

 

“O-okay-“

 

Meiqi was about to continue when she spots someone running in the distance.

 

“D-Dawonie? I-I see you! Keep running straight!” Meiqi exclaims excitedly, waving her free hand in the air to catch her attention.

 

When she caught the attention of the person running the phone call ended at the same time, she knew that it was Dawon.

 

She meets the older girl halfway. Dawon slouched to catch her breath.

 

“Dawon, what’s wrong? Why-“

 

Dawon looks at Meiqi in her eyes once her breathing was normal and the memories from her dream flashed before her eyes.

 

And she couldn’t hold herself any longer.

 

She pulls the confused girl by the collar of her shirt and kisses her, hard, pouring in all her emotions into the kiss.

 

Meiqi stood their shocked and confused at first, but, her eyes closed slowly and she wraps her arms around Dawon’s waist.

 

They pulled away to catch their breath— blushing, confused, and relieved.

 

“I… I love you,” Dawon confesses.

 

“I wanted to tell you, I love you, for the longest time.” She adds.

 

“That’s the important thing you wanted to tell me?” Meiqi asked.

 

Dawon’s smile turned into a frown when she saw Meiqi’s blank expression.

 

The younger girl grinned. “I wish you said it sooner,”

 

Dawon’s smile was back and she engulfs Meiqi in a hug.

 

“I love you too, big bead. For the longest time.”

 

They stay in that position, not caring about the attention they were receiving. Until it was announced that Meiqi’s flight was about to leave.

 

“I’m only staying at China for two weeks, by the way.” Meiqi tells Dawon while picking up her belongings.

 

Dawon feels her heart jump in joy at Meiqi’s announcement.

 

“Really? So… would you like to go on a date with me after?” Dawon asked with a hopeful glint in her eyes.

 

Meiqi pretends to think— grinning, trying to tease the older girl.

 

“Sure. I’ll text you once I land,” She leans in to give Dawon a small peck on the lips.

 

“See you later, babe.” Meiqi winks before leaving a love-struck Dawon.

 

Dawon stands there with a big smile on her face and a giddy feeling in her stomach.

 

Her phone rings and she quickly answers it.

 

“Hey, Xuanyi said it’s fine,”

 

The doctor sighs in relief. “Thanks Luda.”

 

“Did you finally tell her?”

 

Dawon smiles as she walks back to the entrance of the airport.

 

“Yes. And I’m taking her out on a date when she comes back.”