The Interview

My Other Half

Author's Note: Chage of plans, my heart is still not prepare for Jinwoo's POV. But I hope you like this chapter as it is my favorite so far :)

**************************************

I been sulking in my bed since yesterday, after I realized that Jinu already has someone else in his heart. In a moment like this I wish I could be eating my mom’s ka-re rice.

My mom was never a stay at home mom, or the typical mother that will cook chicken soup for her children when they’re sick or make you seaweed soup for your birthday. She was always too busy with her roll of perfect wife of the CEO and member of the shareholders. So, the first time that I won a soccer championship and I was given the award of highest goal scorer, was the happiest day of my life and not because of the trophies, but because that was the day my mom cooked for me for the first time. She made a big pot of ka-re rice and we ate it happily together until we were bursting. She seemed to notice how happy that made me, since it became a habit for her to cook ka-re rice for me every time I won any academic or athletic competition.

But now all the sweet memories I have of her have become bittersweet memories, since I can’t seem to forget her words, “Mino you must go, go back to Korea, go live with your aunt.”

*******************************

There’s only 5 minutes left and we haven’t score a goal, neither the other team. I have to do something, Jinu is counting on me, the whole team is counting on me. Jinu stole the ball, he passed it over to me, I was finally able to find a hole on their defense, I ran to the goal line leaving every one of the opposing team behind and I shouted to the goal. The ball barely brush against the goalkeeper hands, but the shoot was too strong for him to handle and the ball hit the net.

The audience was cheering and Jinu came running to me wrapping his arms and legs around me, then the whole team came to celebrate with us and we danced our victory dance and kissed the red and green stripes on our uniform. After that there was only the extra-time left and we put The Lock on our defense and nobody could pass through our wall. We won 1 to 0 on my first game with the team, but this is only the beginning, they told me we have much stronger rivals left to go against.

After the game, all our friends came to congratulate us, even Lee Seung Hyun sonsengnim came to watch us play and promised to bring ice cream to our next soccer practice. Jinu was away from the group talking to Mina, then they came towards us and joined our group.

- So, the rumors were true – said Mina. – the new kid was going to be the team’s savior.

- It was a team effort. – I told her.

- On top of all, modest. You’ll be a great new asset, not just for the team but the entire school. – She said and winked at me.

- Guys, the girls want to buy us some drinks to celebrate our win. – said Jinu, and all the guys agreed and I started leaving. Jinu came running towards me followed by Hoony and Yoon.

- Mino, you’re not going? – asked Jinu.

- Sorry hyung, I can’t. I’m meeting Eunji at a café for the interview.

- Oh, so you’re doing the interview. That’s great, I’m happy you decided to help her.

- Thanks Mino, that’s pretty cool from you. She might seem weird but she is a good person. – added Yoon.

- Besides. – said Hoon. – She was Yoon’s childhood girlfriend, so we owe her. – and Hoony and Jinu started laughing at him.

- She was not my girlfriend!! – yelled Yoonie.

- Chill dude!! Is only a joke. -- said Hoony waving both hands at him.

- Not funny.

- And where are you going? – asked Jinu.

- We’re meeting at The Purple café.

- Oh, that’s a nice place. – he said.

- Mino, if you don’t feel comfortable being alone with her I can come with you. – said Yoonie.

- That’s okay. – I answered. – If you are in front of me I’ll probably feel more embarrassed. Well, I don’t want to be late, see you guys tomorrow.

****************************************

The café was really nice as Jinu had said, the interior was purple and white and we had a great view to the garden of violets and lilies. Eunji was sitting in front of me with her laptop, she ordered an iced strawberry lemonade and I was having an iced mocha, I was feeling really uncomfortable and I was already regretting my decision of declining Yoon’s offer. Then she started attacking me with her questions.

- Full name?

- Song Mino. Why do you ask, you already know that?

- Is part of the protocol.

- Favorite drink?

- You’re looking at it right now.

- Okay. Favorite movie?

- Serendipity.

- What? That was a little unexpected.

- What can I say? I’m a hopeless romantic. – I said and she smiled at my answer.

- Favorite singer?

- Well, lately I really really like Apink and Winner.

- Wow, Song Minho! You do have great taste in music. – and we started laughing together. The questions about pop culture and hobbies continue like that and then she asked a question that put me off balance.

- What’s your favorite food? --- I was out of words as I started reminiscence about my past, I could feel the touch of my mother’s hands, the smell of her hair, her laugh.

- Song Mino-ssi?

- What? I’m sorry, what was your question? – I said getting back from my trance.

- What is your favorite food?

- Is ka-re rice. – I said.

- Finally, do you have any suggestions for your new nickname?

- Do I need one?

- Of course, all the other members of the Fated Four have one. Kim Jinwoo-ssi is the transformer because of his double personality on and off the field. Lee Seung Hoon-ssi is Wakabayashi Genzo, you know, from Captain Tsubasa, and Yoonie is the jukebox, because he knows all the songs ever created.

- Wow! Those are very creative nicknames.

- Thanks!! So, any ideas for yours.

- Not at all, you name it, I can’t compete with you.

- Okay. I’ll be watching you then.

- That sounded kind of stalkerish.

- Get used to it. – she said sticking out her tongue at me.

- Oh, I forgot the most important question!!

- Shoot. – I said

- Among the Fated Four, who do you like less and who do you like the most?

- I’m not answering that question.

- Oh common, is an easy question.

- Do you want another lemonade?

- Don’t change the topic!!

We were happily arguing like this, she sticking out her tongue at me and I sticking out my tongue at her when suddenly we heard someone clearing his throat to draw our attention to him. It was Hoony standing in front of our table and he was in company of Yoon and Jinu, they were wearing a confuse expression on their face.

- Well it seems we were worried for nothing. You two are already getting alone so well. – said Yoon kind of upset.

- Oh my gosh, if it is the rest of the Fated Four!! – yelled Eunji.

- I still don’t understand how you get so excited, we see each other at school every day. – said a very surprised Hoon.

- Yes, we do. But now were meeting outside of school too! – she said. – Is like we’re friends!

- We are friends. – whisper Yoonie, loud enough for us to hear, but I’m sure she didn’t.

- Do you want me to buy you something to drink? – asked Eunji.

- No need. – said Jinu. – We already order something. Can we seat with you guys?

- Oh my gosh!! Sure. – replied Eunji.

They seat in our table and the waitress brought them their drinks. Yoon had an iced vanilla latte, Hoony had an iced tea and Jinu had hot chocolate. We continue talking for one hour, they were sharing funny anecdotes of each other and of course Eunji was over the moon listening to them. Is so funny how this girl has them on a pedestal while I could easily tell that they not only see her as their equal but also as a friend.

*********************************************

The day finally arrived when I’m going to start tutoring Jinu. I feel so nervous since I know that we are going to his house, I’m going to see his room, you can get to know so much about a person just by their room, I’m a little bit scare to get so much closer to him that what we already are.

The past couple of days I tried, I swear I tried, but I still can’t get over him. Every day I like him a little bit more, any new trait of his personality that I get to know makes me want him more. I couldn’t stop bringing him food every day, he is always so happy to eat my food and always compliments me for it, besides he is the captain of our team I can’t let him starve, we still take the bus together every day and we still talk about anything and everything while on the commute home.

- Song Mino is your heart ready? – asked Hoonie when we were alone together leaving the classroom.

- Ready for what? – I asked confused.

- The tutoring.

- What do you mean? – I asked while Jinu joined us.

- Good bye Mino! – said Hoony waving at us and left.

- What were you talking about? – asked Jinu.

- I don’t know.

****************************************************************

After two hours of non-stop studying Jinu left to cook dinner, he told me to stay in the room and watch Netflix. I was watching Stranger Things while all the sudden a very familiar smell entered my nostrils. I ran to the kitchen and found Jinu very immersed in his cooking.

- Oh, Mino! – he said.

- What are you cooking? – I asked him.

- Is ka-re rice.

- How did you…?

- I asked Eunji. – he said smiling at me.