Speak the Truth

My Other Half

Author's Note: It's uri Young Master and Little Prince birthday!!! #JinwooIsReallyReally27

 

**************************************************************************************************

 

(4 years ago)

 

(Seunghoon POV)

 

It's been two days since I started at this school and I’m still studying my surroundings before making myself notice. You only get one chance at making a first good impression and I also need to know who the right people to get close with will be, I don’t want to end up hanging out with the losers of the school.

 

This is the school where only the sons of the richest families in Asia attend to, you have the option to live off campus or on campus, and the second option is the best one to kids like me whose families are living abroad. This is also the best place to make connections with the people that will rule over in all of the fields in the next few years, they will be future CEOs, the next top people in arts, politics, sports, fashion and business.

 

But the most important part about me coming here, to this land far away from home, is that I was finally able to get away from my stepmother’s claws, finally experience some freedom and maybe, with some luck, make my father miss me and think of me at least a little bit.

 

I have my eyes in one korean kid for the position of my new best friend, he is a top student, the captain of the soccer team, son of an important CEO and good looking, guys look up to him and the girls follow him everywhere, he will definitely give me the kind of status I’m looking for and him being korean will help me get close to him.

 

There is another korean kid in our year, but he is a nobody, definitely not the type of person I want to be acquaintance with. The poor kid spends all of his time alone in the library with his nose buried in a book and sometimes he even laughs by himself, weird kid.

 

***************************************************

 

Two weeks after my first day at this school and I’m already part of the cool kids group, my social skills are still top notch, I can read people, so I have the special talent of telling them exactly what they want to hear and that’s what allows me to have a very successful social life. Of course I’m only doing this for the status, because other than Mino, the other kids are really obnoxious bastards, but I’m not looking for long lasting friendships anyway, I’ll just be here for six months after all. I’m really surprised by Mino though, he really is a genuinely nice person, I still can’t believe he is friends with the others, but I guess it’s natural since they all are part of the soccer team.

 

My social life was going really smoothly, but I didn’t have that much luck in my academic life, in my first group assignment I was pair up with the korean nobody, chicken little. Not only he seems to always be alone, he is also the target of every bully at this school, the only times when they don’t bother him is when Mino is around, he always stands up for the kid and since everyone at this school seems to respect him and fear him, they don’t tease the weird kid if Mino is nearby.

 

I had to go to the library to look for him, we needed to start our homework as soon as possible, we didn’t have much more time to waste since we were already behind because I’ve been avoiding him like a plague every time he came looking for me to start working.

 

The kid was hiding in a corner with his nose buried in a book, I felt some kind of relief to see him hiding from the bullies eyes, he really looked helpless and vulnerable, with those big round and thick glasses and a body to skinny and small for a 13 year old boy. The book that he was holding was Agatha Christie’s book “Murder in the Orient Express”, it seems like a trend, that wasn’t the first time I saw him lost in some detective novel. I also like that book a lot, it’s not my favorite book, but I read it three times and everytime I always find something new, of course I was never going to admit my love for books and plays out loud, I didn’t want to be an outcast like this kid.

 

- Drop the book kid, we need to work. - I told him snatching the book away from his hands.

 

- Hey!!! - he yelled at me with murderous eyes. - Now I lost the page where I was at you shi.thead!!

 

- What did you just call me? - I said grabbing him by his collar.

 

- Shi.thead, dumba.ss, idiot, as.shole, moron, jacka.ss, jerk!!! - the kid couldn’t shut his mouth even to save his own life, that’s why he gets his kick all the time.

 

- Do you have a death wish kid? - I told him aiming my fist at his face.

 

- You won’t hit me. - he said smirking at me.

 

- And what makes you think that smartpants?

 

- Because if you hit me, I will tell Mino that you are bullying me and he might even kick you out of the team. - he said smiling like he had found my weakness.

 

- You have some guts, huh kid? - I told him while releasing him. - But I’m sorry to disappoint you, the team is not as important to me as you might think.

 

- Then why did you try out for the team on your first week here?

 

- And how do you know that? - I asked him curious. - Have you been watching me?

 

- I just like to observe people. - he said shrugging his shoulders.

 

- Well, let me tell you, kid detective, I’m just part of the team for the status.

 

- I have a name you know. - he said a little annoyed.

 

- Really? I couldn’t care less. - I told him to make him more annoyed.

 

- It’s Park Jaehyung!! - he yelled upset. - I hate that you called me kid, we’re the same age you bastard!?

 

After that rough start, we started working on our project and then we were spending time together everyday in the library, half of the time working and half of the time just hanging out. For some reason this kid - I mean Jae - had the power to make me be myself, I wasn’t a fake when I was with him and the best part was that he accepted me for who I was, I didn’t need to pretend or to say what I knew he wanted me to say.

 

After 4 weeks we presented our homework to the class, we got an A, Jae was actually a top student and I’m pretty smart myself so it wasn't really a surprise. After class my so called “friends” approached me.

 

- Finally dude!! - said one of them patting me in the back. - Now you can get rid of that loser!!

 

- Yeah, it was such a pain in the !! - I said to make them happy and then I notice that Jae was behind us looking at me with a disappointed face and my heart hurt a little.

 

Jae didn’t talk to me again, he was completely ignoring me. After three weeks I was missing our conversations and the refreshing feeling to be around him, when I didn’t have to wear a mask or over think what I was going to say to satisfy my audience, it felt so light to be with someone with whom I could just be me.

 

I went to the library to see him, that wasn’t the first time I went to the library just to see him from afar, trying to get the courage to approach him and apologized. This time he was reading “Strangers on a Train”, he really liked detective and crime novels, weird kid. I went to the aisle where he was hiding in the corner, pretending like I was searching any specific book, checking every cover, while looking at him with the corner of my eye.

 

- Stop staring you freak. - he said without raising his eyes from the book.

 

- Who said I was staring!!. - I told him in a huff. - I didn’t even know you were there?

 

- Yeah right. - he said finally looking at me. - What are you trying to do, are you trying to apologized, it’s that why you have been stalking me everyday?

 

- No way, I haven’t been stalking you, I haven’t even see you in three weeks!!

 

- Just speak the truth Hoon, I already know when you’re lying. - he said while standing up and walking closer to me. - And it’s okay, I forgive you, I know you just said that to look good with your as.sholes friends, you don’t want them to think you are friend with the loser kid, that would seriously ruining your reputation, which it’s what you care the most in the world.

 

- I’m sorry Jae, I didn’t mean to hurt you. - I told him apologetic.

 

- It’s fine. - he said looking to the ground. - Our friendship, it was good while it lasted, don’t worry, I won’t go near you again, you don’t have to worry about me ruining your reputation anymore. - And he just started to walk away.

 

- Jae stop!! - I told him and grabbed him by the arm. - I don’t wanna lose your friendship, it kinda makes me feel like I'm a better person.

 

- You can be a better person Hoon and you should start by just being yourself. - he said smiling at me and my heart felt lighter just because of that smile.

 

After that day we went back to our normal routine, when I wasn’t busy with soccer practice or social commitments, we spent our time together at the library, only that this time just hanging out. Being with him was so easy and natural, we talked about everything, things we had in common like reading and the arts and things on which we didn’t agreed on like sports and music; he also wanted me to get use to speak the truth, so we played truth or dare all the time, Jae was crazy, at some point I grew so scare of his dares that I was picking truth all the time, he became the friend that knew me better than anyone else, I even told him about my mother.

 

One day I notice that there was a poster in the library’s bulletin board inviting to auditions for the drama club, I love performing arts, but I never had the courage to join the drama club afraid of what people could think of me.

 

- You should try out! - Jae said. - I’m sure you’re capable to handle both, the soccer team and the drama club.

 

- No way!! - I yelled. - They will think I’m a weirdo or call me a .

 

- First, I don’t think kids our age still have those ancient stereotypes and if they do, they are ing as.sholes and second, you shouldn’t care about what people think of you, just do what you want and what makes you happy.

 

- I wish I could be like you Jae.

 

- Do it, I stopped caring about people thinking I’m weird a long time ago, if they are going to like me, they will like me for who I am, weirdness and all.

 

- Look how good that turned out for you. - I told him ironically.

 

- Well you like me, for me that’s more than enough.

 

- Awww… Jae, I’m touched. - I told him while hugging him.

 

- off!! - he said all blushed and pushed me away. - Besides, knowing you, I bet you’ll be a popular bastard no matter which club you join.

 

I joined the drama club like Jae told me, and he also joined with me, it was the first time he joined any club and I was happy because it meant we could spend more time together. The other guys in the team couldn’t care less about me joining the drama club and Mino was very supportive of us, always asking us about what we were learning and what play were we preparing. We were doing “Otelo”, I was playing Otelo and Jae was chosen to play Yago and we were praised by all our teachers and friends that came to watch the play. After our presentation Jae and I we’re going to go out with our drama club peers to celebrate, Mino had to leave earlier just after the play because he had a date, Jae and I were walking to the dorm when some guys intercepted us and I could recognize them as the bullies that harass Jae all the time when he was alone.

 

- What’s up chicken little!! - said one of them pushing him to the ground. - Did you got yourself a boyfriend?

 

- Leave him alone!! - I yelled at him and punch him in the face, bad idea, they were five, we were two and after that they pounced at us, in one minute both of us were on the ground being kicked at in our backs and stomachs over and over again.

 

- What the are you doing!! - I heard Mino yelled at them. - If you mess with my friends you mess with me!!!

 

Mino started punching them, one after the other and I took advantage of the distraction and got up to help him until they ran away from us. After they were gone I helped Jae to get up.

 

- Thanks man, you save us. - I told him.

 

- It’s okay, we're friends and I also could not have take them down all by myself, you helped me.

 

- And what happened to your date? - asked Jae curious.

 

- Nah~ it was boring, I rather spend my time with you guys - he said wrapping his arms around us. - let’s go party!!

 

- Wait, let’s threat Jae’s wounds first. - I said touching Jae’s swollen lips.

 

- And yours too. - he adorably pouted.

 

After the fight Mino got even closer to us, he broke up with his girlfriend and try dating another girl but it only lasted 1 month. My time was also running out so I decided to quit the soccer team, I enjoyed playing a lot, but I wanted the spend the limited time that I had left with Jae, specially after he propose something that was going to change my life forever.

 

- Hoon, remember what you told me about your mother? - he asked me and I nodded yes. - Let’s find her!!

 

********************************************************************

 

(Back to the present)

 

(Mino’s POV)

 

On Monday, Jinu and I started executing the plan that later will be know as The Worst Plan Ever.

 

I explained to Jinu that even though Mina is a flirtatious witch, she is actually a good loser, she knows when to give up, it happened with me when I rejected her, she gave up on me almost immediately. So, what we needed to do was to convince Mina that she didn’t have any chance with Jae and she was going to be completely free for Hoony to take action.

 

Mina was not stupid either, if one of us approached her and try to convince her that Jae was a lose battle, she wasn’t going to believe us, so the best option was to convince Jae himself to let her know that he didn’t like her back. Since I was closer to him I talked to him and let him know our plan so he could help us.

 

- So, you’re saying that Hoony actually likes that girl Mina. - he asked confused. - But he told me that he hates her.

 

- I guess he’s just embarrassed, but yeah he likes her, that’s why he was opposed to Jinu and you dating her.

 

He didn’t seemed to buy my words but he helped us anyway, he said that her staring at him and following him around was starting to give him the creeps.

 

Now the difficult part was to make Mina notice Hoony, she was usually interested in the novelty and Hoony has been around long enough for her not to considered him trendy anymore.

 

- Hyung, you talk to Mina, it’s your turn.

 

- No, you talk to her, I wouldn’t know what to say. - he said all sweetly.

 

- You’re her friend, not me, I don’t even talk to the girl. - I answered trying my best to resist to his charms.

 

- Why the hell did you say that to Jae!? - yelled Hoony, he was walking towards us all upset.

 

- Umm… - said Jinu confused. - We actually talk a lot today, could you be more specific?

 

- You told him that I like that flirt Mina!!

 

- Isn’t it the truth? - I asked him perplexed.

 

- Why would I like her. - he said throwing his arms in the air. - And besides, I’ve always been very clear in regards of my dislike towards her.

 

- We just thought you were saying that to cover up your real feelings for her. - said Jinu now red in embarrassment.

 

- As my friends, you should already know that I only speak the truth, even when is uncomfortable.

 

- But you didn’t want Jinu or Jae to date her?

 

- Because I already knew about your feelings for each other. - he said a little bit more calm. - And I didn’t want Jae to date her, because I was going to ask him out.

 

- What!? - we both yelled in unison.

 

- Whatever, I will fix it myself. - he said and walked away, while my boyfriend and I were holding hands still ashamed and in shocked.

 

****************************************************************

 

(Seunghoon POV)

 

Jae was sitting in the benches watching us practice, he doesn’t really like soccer but we are the only friends he has so he decided to join us and after I promise him that I was going to walk him home. He hasn’t mentioned anything about SongKim’s stupid plan, I only knew thanks to Yoon who also thought that their conclusion was far fetched, but even when Jae hasn’t said a single thing about it, I could see that he was looking a little bit down. He only talk after we were alone walking home.

 

- So, you like Mina, huh? - he said with his eyes down.

 

- No, I don’t.

 

- Liar. - Jae scoffed at me - And here I was happy thinking that you were jealous of her for getting close to me.

 

- I was.

 

- Bullsh*t.

 

- You know I’m not lying, you know me better than anyone else.

 

- I don’t know anymore Hoon, they have been your closest friends the last couple of years.

 

- Let’s play truth or dare, for old time’s sake, cool? - I asked hopeful.

 

- Cool! - he said finally looking at me with a smile on his face.

 

- Truth or dare?

 

- Truth.

 

- Why did you come back Jae?

 

- Because of you.

 

- Why were you jealous at the norebang Hoon?

 

- Because I like you.

 

- Truth or dare? - I asked him feeling even more hopeful.

 

- Dare.

 

- I dare you to kiss me. - I said and placed both of my palms on his cheeks and captured his lips with mine. I’ve kissed a few others before, but finally kissing the one I love, feels like fireworks are brightening up the sky. We kiss slowly and then hungrily until we were both out of breath, then we broke the kiss and stared at each other, we didn’t need words to understand each other, now we can speak the truth only with our eyes.

 

****************************************************************

 

(Mino’s POV)

 

Jinu and I were walking to the bus stop holding hands, we were both quiet, it was an eventful day and we kind of screw up one of our best friend's romantic life.

 

- Don’t worry babe. - I told him squeezing his hands. - It’s Hoony, he will solve it!!

 

- But it’s all my fault, I can’t stop feeling awful, specially with Hoony that was so supportive with us.

 

- Nah~ I know them, they can communicate better than anyone else, they will clarify things in no time, stop torturing yourself.

 

- Thanks God we didn’t talk to Mina. - he said trying to hide a chuckle. - That would have been awkward.

 

- Babe, there’s something I need to tell you. - I told him serious. - I’m meeting your mother at the Purple Cafe tomorrow, I’m telling her about us.

 

- I don’t know Mino, I don’t think it’s the right time. - he said scared.

 

- Babe, your mother might be much more understanding than what you think. - I told him caressing his face to calm him down. - Besides, there’s something we should all learn from Seunghoon, to speak the truth.

 

*****************************************************************************

 

Author's Note: Please let me know in the comments what do you think about the Hoon-Jae pairing, did you like it? did you see it coming or did it took you by surprise? Actually up until the last minute I was still debating between the Hoon-Mina pairing and the Hoon-Jae pairing, I literally decided just two weeks ago and that was also one of the reasons why it took me so long to update xD

 

I promise next chapter will be only about uri Songkim and good news, it will be M rated!!

 

So we are almost done with the story, only one and half chapters left, it got extended one chapter because at the end I loved the Hoon-Jae pairing so much that I needed a full chapter to lay out their story. Good new is that I'm starting vacations this Friday so everything will be done and over before the end of next week. Finally, once again a need to thanks Hipsterian who supported me so much with the Hoon-Jae descicion, and she was also the one that gave the idea to give them more background and I just loved the result. Sorry for the big rant, have a nice week everybody!!