The Birthday Boy

My Other Half

Author's Note: So not big secrets revealing yet, because I had to change the order of the chapters a little bit, but this is an enjoyable chapter anyways, I lot of SongKim moments. Hope you like it!

*****************************************************************************************

(Mina’s POV)

I prepare myself so much for this occasion, to be able to spend time together alone with him and with some luck tell him how I feel about him. Ever since I met him that day at the school festival I haven’t stop thinking about him, he is so manly, handsome and mysterious. But he doesn’t seem to notice me at all, is like I don’t exit for him, he doesn’t even give me the time of the day. I’ve tried so many times to get close to him, try to talk to him, but he doesn’t give me any attention, so I did something awful that I’m ashamed of, I used my good friend Jinwoo to get close to him, that was the only way I had to get to know him.

I’ve tried to make myself look prettier today, tried to catch his attention, get myself notice, I even drank almost two bottles of soju before coming so I could gain some courage. Then finally, at that moment in front of the restroom, I was there in front of him, alone at last, I poured my feelings out.

- What happened Mino, are you alright? – I asked him worried, he have left all the sudden and in a rush.

- Yes, I’m fine. It’s just a stomached. – he was again talking to me not even looking at me in the eyes.

- What a relief. – I said, but I was internally really upset he still didn’t notice me. – I’ve been trying to get closer to you all night, but you seemed to avoid me, is there something wrong?

- I’m not avoiding you, I was just doing my own thing and you were with Jinu anyways. – he said kind of upset, is he jealous of Jinwoo, can I have some hope?

- But what if I wanted to be with you instead? – It was now or never, I threw myself at him and kissed him.

His lips were all I’ve dreamed about, so soft and moist, but I couldn’t fully enjoy it as he pushed me away from him almost immediately. I didn’t know what to think, I felt so ashamed and humiliated. Then suddenly Mino looked terrified so I looked behind me, it was Jinwoo who was oddly shocked and almost crying staring at him.

- Jinu, wait!! – And he started running desperately after him – Is not what you think.

What was going on? My head was spinning around but I followed them trying to figure out what was happening. They left the Norebang and then I saw Mino follow him into an alley, minutes later they came out holding hands until they left together in a cab. Suddenly everything started to make sense, it was in front of me all the time but my subconscious was refusing to accept the true, like I had a veil covering my eyes and is finally been removed.

They have feelings for each other, is so obvious now how Mino has never notice me because he only has eyes for Jinwoo, always behind him, always taking care of him, his eyes full of adoration for him. And Jinwoo, he is always talking about Mino, how he is so good at this and good at that, how he is so manly and cool, good at sports and academics and how he which he was more like him, all that admiration he has for Mino now I finally realized that is actually love and not just a silly infatuation like mine. I was still putting two and two together when Yura came looking for me.

- What happened? – she asked curious. – Did you guys talk?

- He rejected me. – I told her straightforward.

- What, how is that even possible? – she asked confused. – Is he dumb or blind?

- No. – I told her. – Is just that he already has someone else in his heart.

- Who? Do we know her, is she from our school?

- No. – I lied to her. – I guess is someone he left in China, but he seems to really love that person.

- Well is his lose anyway. – she comforted me. – I’m sure you will find someone much better than him.

- I guess. – I told her sadly and then Seung Hoon suddenly emerged from behind us.

- Have you seen my friends? – He asked.

- It seems that Jinwoo wasn’t feeling well so Mino took him home. – I truthfully told him, at least he wasn’t feeling emotionally well, I just hope I didn’t cause any troubles and they can fix thing with each other.

- That’s weird, I thought Mino was the one with the stomach flu. – He said scratching the back of his neck and we went back inside.

************************************************

(Mino’s POV)

I have good memories of all my birthdays, every year we had our own family tradition, our own way to celebrate it, but I guess this time things will have to change, now all will be different since the three of us won’t be together.

Since my sister and I had all the things we needed and wanted, birthday’s presents were not a big deal for us, not even birthday parties. My father used to organize a fancy dinner party every year for our birthdays, but it was only a gathering of his friends to brag about his fortune and discuss business related topics, it wasn’t something we could enjoy ourselves. Our mother came to notice this, so staring from my sister’s 10th birthday we took a trip together just the three of us on the weekend of her birthday and my birthday and it became a tradition every year. It was the only two times in the year that my mother allow herself to be free from her responsibilities as wife and shareholder and enjoy to her heart content whichever idea we had to celebrate. But this year, my mother told me she will send me a Nintendo Switch and my sister still hasn’t call me.

******************************************

The past two weeks have been very hard for Jinu hyung, not only we lost for the first time on the group round, he also lost his 2-year crush. Nonetheless, in front of everyone else he’s always bright and cheerful, but when is just the two of us he allows himself to sulk and be depressed. We were at his place studying math, he didn’t felt like cooking today so we just ordered jajangmyeon, then all the sudden he stopped what he was doing and asked me a question.

- Mino, do you like Mina?

- Not at all hyung, why do you ask?

- Is just that, if you like her, I don’t want you to hold back because of me.

- I never been interested in her and never will be, so don’t worry about it.

- Is there someone else you like? – he curiously asked.

- I do have my eyes on someone, but is impossible anyways.

- Why, is she married or something, how can someone not like you back? – he asked surprised.

- That person already loves someone else.

- Oh, I know how you feel. – he said sadly. – Is someone I know?

- No, that person is back in China. – I couldn’t tell him the truth, is not the right time.

- Mino. – he grabbed my hand and full of determination he started at me with piercing eyes and said. – We will get over our unrequited love together.

- Yes hyung, we will. – I told him and let go of his hands, I just couldn’t bare it or I was going to grab him and kiss him right there. – Besides, we have more urgent things to focus on now.

- Yes, I know, the game against Joongdong high school. – Is like he could read my mind.

- What are the odds of us losing the game? – I asked him.

- Last year I could tell they weren’t superior than us, not even without Taehyun on the team, I guess luck wasn’t on our side that day. Hanbin was injured by one of them and the referee didn’t notice it, so we lost one of our titular players and they didn’t even get a yellow card, however we were still very tight but almost at the end of the game the referee gave them a nonexistent penal and they won 1 to 0, I still think that they might have bought the referee before the game, he was to bias.

- So, if you said they weren’t better than you guys even back then that means we can easily defeat them now.

- Is not that simple, is our team’s state of mind what I’m most worried about. Besides, that team, they don’t know what fair play is, if they think you’re a threat they will go after you and take you down.

- We must win. – I told him. – If not we can say good bye to the tournament.

- Yes, Taehyun’s team is practically already classified to quarters to final, now the second spot is either between us and Joongdong high school.

- Then, if you said that the problem is the team’s state of mind, that’s what we need to focus on.

- What do you have in mind? – he asked me and I started to illuminate him with my plan.

*********************************************

It was already Wednesday, that means that tomorrow is already my birthday. We were eating lunch together still discussing the details of the group activity we had plan with Jinu to lift the team’s mood, when Hoony and Yoon joined us.

- Hey Mino. – asked Yoon. – Do you have any plans for your birthday tomorrow?

- Not really. – I told them.

- Since we don’t have practice tomorrow. – said Hoony. – We should all go out together.

- No! – yelled Jinu. – We have an important game to prepare, we can celebrate your birthday next week, right Mino?

- Yes, is not a big deal anyway. – I told him, kind of disappointed.

- How rude. – said Hoony and began eating.

- Mino, I don’t think we can have tutoring tomorrow, there’s some things I still need to buy for Saturday.

- That’s fine hyung, I can go with you if you like?

- No, there are some other errands I need to do, is okay I can do it on my own.

- Fine. – I said and we started eating in silence.

After practice, he didn’t go home with me, he stayed with Hoony and Yoon to speak with songsaenim about some extra credit homework or something, so I had to take the ride home alone and I started to feel a little bit sad and nostalgic about my birthday.

*****************************************

I was dreaming about Jinu’s soft lips on my own, his lips tasted like strawberries, he was kissing me senseless, caressing my hair, I had my hands on his waist trying to get closer to him if that was even possible, savoring his lips, I was about to enter his cavern with my tongue when all the sudden I heard a loud noise “Mino, happy birthday!!” and her lips wet my cheek with saliva putting me out of my sleep.

- Aich… aunt, I was having a good dream!!

- Wake up you sleepy head, is your birthday!!

- What good there is about getting older?

- Stop being so grumpy. Wash yourself and get ready to school quickly, I need to show you something before you go.

- Araso, araso. – I told her and reluctantly left the bed. Good thing my aunt woke me up before my dream became a wet dream, that would have been embarrassing.

After washing myself I received a call from my mother to wished me a happy birthday, she said I should be receiving my present soon and blow kisses at me over the phone, after our conversations was over I went to the kitchen with my aunt.

Jinu told me to not cook anything today, he was going to bring something from home since it was my birthday and for breakfast my aunt made me some pancakes that I managed to swallow somehow, the intention is what counts anyway and she try to do her best to please me, too bad her good efforts not always get good results.

After I finished eating she took me to the parking lot and showed me a motorcycle, it was a silver 2017 Honda CBR500R.

- This is for you. – she told me and gave me the keys. – I’m always worried when you come home late at night and I know you either had to take the bus or a cab, I want you to use this instead.

- Thank you, aunt. – I told her feeling touched. – Is beautiful, but I can’t accept this, is too much.

- Of course, you will. This is nothing, besides I was never around when you and your sister were young, so think of it as a compensation for all the previous years and do it for my peace of mind too.

- Araso aunt, but once I start working I will pay you back.

- I don’t need your money silly boy, if I wanted someone to pay me for it I will ask your mom for the money instead, just take it and stop with the nonsense.

- Araso, araso. – I told her and hug her.

*******************************************

Since Jinu wasn’t going to take the ride back home today with me anyway, I just took the motorcycle to school. All the students were staring at me, it was cool ride after all. Then Jinu and the others came to examine it too.

- Dude, this is the coolest motorcycle I ever seen. – said Yoon.

- Thanks man, my aunts gave it to me for my birthday.

- Wow, she is the best aunt in the world Mino, you’re really lucky. – said Hoony.

- Is pretty indeed. – added Jinu not sounding so happy. – I guess we will not take the bus together anymore.

- My aunt gave me the motorcycle. – I told him. – but she is not giving me money for gas, so I will not use it every day, just the days when we have tutoring and we both fit on it so we can ride it together to your place.

- That’s a great idea. – he said finally smiling again. – I have never ride a motorcycle before, sounds exciting, can we go for a ride now?

- Stop flirting and let’s go inside or we will be late. – said Hoony, my face was pink with embarrassment and Jinu just laugh at it like it was a good joke.

********************************************

I couldn’t go home right away after class because Seung Hyun songseanim told me to help him grade some English test. What a great way to spend my birthday, working as a slave and on top of all my friends didn’t even congratulate me or anything, how could they have forgotten when we were just talking about it yesterday, I even told them that the motorcycle was a birthday gift, but they choose to ignore it like it was any other day, at least Jinu made kimbap for me although I was kind of expecting seaweed soup or something else more special. I finally managed to get home, but when I opened the door all the lights were off. Oh, I know what’s going on.

- Surprised!!! – They all yelled when I turned the lights on. The entire soccer team and my aunt were there waiting for me. There was a big banner with a “Happy 17 Birthday Mino” on the wall and all the apartment was cover with green balloons, they know green is my favorite color. Jinu was holding a cake, it looked very rustic and handmade.

- Wow… thanks guy, I had no idea.

- How could you even think that we were going to forget your birthday? – said Jinu. – Now, blow the candles and remember to ask for a wish.

While I was blowing the 17 candles all I could think of was for Jinwoo to love me back, but I stopped myself from wishing that and asked for a different thing instead, something I knew was very important for him, I wished for us to win this Sunday’s game.

- Why you didn’t say anything? – I asked my aunt.

- Jinu-ssi forced me to. – she said smiling at him. – He wanted everything to be a surprised, he didn’t even tell the other kids until yesterday after class so it wouldn’t slip their mouths.

- I made the cake. – Jinu told me proud. – Is a carrot cake with cheese cream frosting, it doesn’t look good but is very tasty.

- Thank you hyung, you didn’t have to.

- I hope you like it. – he told me, then we started to mingle with the others.

We ate the cake and it was indeed very delicious, I don’t know if I’m blinded by my feelings for him but is probably the best birthday cake I ever had. At the end of the party there were only Jinu, Yoon and Hoony left and they all gave me a present, I wasn’t really expecting anything so I was very touched, they said they went shopping yesterday after class, they bought me a pink hoodie, Jinu has exactly the same one but in gray and he said is very comfortable and practical to wear, is not really my style but I will definitely wear it since they bought it for me. Afterwards it was very late so my aunt took them home in her car so they didn’t have to pay for a cab.

I was feeling so happy, maybe change is not that bad, maybe you can always start new traditions, new ways to be happy, I was still in cloud night for everything that had happened when I heard my phone ringing. It was a video call from my sister, could this day get any better?

 

Author's Note: I wanted to show you Mina's POV because I wanted you guys to see that she is not a bad person, besides I thought it was interesting to get an outsider's point of view about Jinwoo and Mino's relationship. The big reveal of Mino's past is next week, so keep tune with the story. Have a nice week!!