The Non-date

My Other Half

Announcement: So I wanted to let you know that I have decided to update only once a week every Sunday or Monday (depending where in the world you're at). The draft is already done until the last chapter, is just a simple thing that has the names of every chapter and all the events that I want to cover on them, and the last two chapters I've released have been very difficult to do in just one or two days, because I wanted to firmly stick to the draft. Every chapter left is different and since I don't know whether it will take me two, four or more days to finish so I just rather give you a settled releasing day, don't worry that I will make sure for the chapters to be longer this time, like the last one and this one you're about to read. Hope you enjoy!

************************************************************

They said that love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. How can something so beautiful and wonderful, hurt this much? It feels like there are thorns sticking inside of your heart, leaving holes behind, like it can never be whole again. It feels like there is a lack of air, you have shortness of breath. You only think about how you will never be happy without him, it feels like your dying.

If only love had an on and off button, I could turn off this feelings I have for him and finally stop my misery and move on. It seems that I’m starting to understand what she did that to me, why she chose him over me. Not too long ago, I discovered that my father was having an affair with one of his former secretaries, not only that, they even had a child, a 6 years old girl. But what was even worst, is that my mother was aware of that and not only that second family he has, but all the other affairs he had and is still having. I begged her so many times to leave him, to go somewhere else together and star anew, but she’d rather send me here than leave him.

***********************************

What is best when you have an unrequited love? To live as strangers and not have any type of relation with the object of your affection, or to live as best friends knowing everything about him, been close to him all the time? I’d always thought that the second one was the better option, oh how wrong I was.

- I’m still not sure where to take her, at first I wanted to go to the movies, but I also think that the Norebang just the two of us together could be more intimate. – said Jinu, pondering on the location of his first date with Mina.

- Are you sure about doing this hyung? – asked Hoony.

- Of course, I’ve been waiting for this for months.

- I don’t know hyung, this is a big step, is not like you’re only going out once and that’s it, you must be ready to have a relationship with her. Did you think about that?

- Yes, I have. Ever since I met Mina I always wanted her to be my girlfriend.

- You never been on a relationship before hyung, is not that simple. And you said it before, you don’t have enough time, with soccer and all. – argued Hoony.

- What are you so against this? You were the ones that were always pestering me about asking her out.

- Hyung, I’m sorry we were always joking about it all the time, but I think that Hoony is just trying to help you. – added Yoonie.

- I don’t need your help, I just wanted for my friends to support me. Let’s go Mino, I don’t want to listen to them anymore. – said Jinu while grabbing me by the arm, he was taking me to the rooftop so we could talk alone.

- Is true that I have my doubts about this Mino, but that’s the reason why I wanted them to support me and not hold me back. I’m very insecure and I lack selfconfidence, but I really like Mina and I don’t want to spend another whole year without telling her how I feel. I know she might say no, I’m far from the type of guy she likes, but if I don’t do this, no matter if the outcome is good or bad, I won’t be able to turn the page and move on. – he was saying this while looking to the sky. There was so much truth in his words, is exactly what I’m going through right now, I wish I was as brave as he is.

- Is okay hyung, I will support you. I will help with anything that you need. – he finally looked at me and gave me that smile, the smile that could light up and entire room. I love him and if this will make him happy and smile like this, I will go through hell just to see him like this.

- Okay then, can you tell me which one is better, movies or Norebang?

- Norebang. You love to sing and she is very outgoing, so I’m sure you will have a lot of fun together, besides you said it before, it will be more intimate just the two of you. – he nodded happy that I supported his idea.

- Jinu hyung! – yelled Yoon, as he and Hoony walked towards us. – we knew you will be here.

- Hyung, I’m sorry to have reacted like that, we know how much you wanted this and don't worry, we have your back.-- apologized Hoony.

- Sorry hyung, I should have been on your side before. – said Yoon and they both hug Jinu.

- Besides. – said Hoony. – I’m the only one with dating experience around here, so who better than me to be your wingman?

- Well, I think Mino has more experience then you. Right Mino? – asked Jinu and I nodded. – He is my new wingman.

- What! You’re changing me for someone you just met like two days ago? – said Hoony acting offended and we started to debate who had more dating experience and was more fit for the role.

Even if my overwhelming feelings for him are now blades that are stabbing my heart, seeing my love one laugh and smile like this gives me enough strength to carry on. Yes, I’ve changed my mind, is better to have him like this close to me, even if just as a friend, my very best friend, that haven’t met him at all.

********************************************

In the midst of my biggest despair I came to the realization that my feelings for him are love, I love him and that means that what is more important for me is to see him happy, even if it is with someone else.

- So, what did she said hyung. – asked Yoon. Jinu just came to tell us the news.

- She said yes, were going to the Norebang this Friday. – he said whith the biggest smile I ever seen.

- Wow, who ever thought that Mina would like skinny pretty boys like you. – jocked Hoony and we all started laughing.

- Who would have thought right? – admitted Jinu. – Okay, let’s go eat I’m starving. What did you bring today Mino?

- Well, to celebrate your very first date, I made your favorite omurice.

- Daebak!! I love you!! – how I wish those words were the true and not just his enthusiasm talking.

- As your official wingman. – said Hoony. – I said we must go to pick out your outfit for the date and I’m sure Mino here can borrow you a jacket and that perfume you told me you like. – He likes my perfume, what did he never told me that?

- I will help you to pick the right songs to set up the mood. – added Yoonie. – who knows, if everything goes well you might have your first kiss tomorrow. – Just thinking about Jinu kissing someone else and that been his first kiss was too much for me to handle.

- Excuse me guys, I need to go to the bathroom. – I told them.

- But Mino, you haven’t finish eating. – said a worried Jinu.

- How can he keep eating when he has diarrhea, just let him go. – said Hoony.

Once I was alone in the bathroom I started crying, all the feelings I’ve been trying to hide came flooding nonstop out of me in the form of tears, if is hurting so much now that is just a product of my imagination, how will it feel like with the real thing?

**************************************************

The four of us were walking out of the school gate talking about the game were having next week, when we bumped into Mina and her friends.

- Jinwoo, did you tell your friends about Friday? – Mina asked him.

- Sure, they’re my friends. Why… you didn’t want me to tell them?

- What are you talking about. – said Mina and laugh. – Of course silly, you must tell them. I already invite my friends and we don’t want to be odd numbers.

- Um... I actually have some... – Hoony was saying when Jinu interrupted.

- Of course, we’re all going, right guys? – said Jinu awkwardly.

- Yeah sure. – I said trying to save him, this is awkward.

- Okay guys, see you tomorrow!! – the girls said goodbye.

- What the hell hyung!! – yelled Hoony. – You can’t even ask a girl out?

- Hoon, it was just a misunderstanding, it can happen to anyone. – Yoon said trying to calm him down.

- Crap, but I had something else to do on Friday night. – said Hoony.

- Well you will need to cancel then. – I ordered him. – We told Jinu we had his back and that’s what we’re doing. – I could tell that Jinu was in shock and his eyes were glistening like he was about to cry.

- Besides. – said Yoon. – You’re the love expert Hoony, we need you to turn this around, don’t worry hyung, we will help you to have your perfect date after all.

- Yoon is right. – I added. – We can help, we’re going to leave the two of you alone somehow.

- Okay, I’ll go. – said Hoony.-- You two ignorants need me anyway.

***************************************

I can’t count how many times Jinu has said sorry to us since yesterday, he didn’t mean for this to happen, having us all having to cancel our Friday night plans. It wasn’t like I had other plans anyway, but I just hate having to be witness of Jinu and Mina’s first date, even if it is a non-date. We went to my apartment to get ready after practice, Jinu and the others brought their clothes since this was going to be our base to put the finishing details on Jinu hyung. Hoony, been the fashionista of the group, had already pick his clothes one day before and was now choosing which jacket and accessories he was going to wear. They finally decided on my motorcycle jacket, rings for accessories and as the final touch my perfume. Since the jacket was a little bit too big for him he looked so cute and tiny, it made me have a fleeting fantasy of him wearing one of my shirts with nothing else underneath it. If I didn’t know he is just getting ready for a date with someone else a would have been delighted with him wearing my clothes and perfume like he was my boyfriend, but that’s just a delusion I don’t have the right to dream.

We arrived before the girls and we were putting ourselves comfortable when Mina, Yura, Minji and Hayi came, they were all part of the girls’ soccer team and Mina’s best friends. But to our surprise the girls were already wasted, it seems they knew that because we’re minors we were not going to get any alcohol in here so they started the party in advance. They were all clingy and loud, Mina sat beside me and I couldn’t bare her smell, I manage to move and put Jinu were I was seated. I already have a bad feeling about this.

The girls started singing Twice’s “TT”, then Hoony and Yoon sang Psy’s “Napal Baji” and then the girls went on again with 2ne1’s “I’m the Best”. I have to admit that we were having more fun that I’d expected, fun that was only interrupted every time I saw Jinu and Mina laughing and chatting together. Then it was Jinu’s turn and he decided to go with Sechskies “Couple”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTUqFm4-3d8

It’ll be better now than before
Because you filled up my emptiness, my empty heart

I was so lonely in this beautiful world
I wandered, looking for my other half
But that’s all in the past

He was singing with all his heart, he was looking at everywhere and everyone visibly nervous, but from time to time he was glancing at her. He also looked at me sometimes and when I nodded at him telling him he was doing fine he smiled and gained confidence again.

The rest of my life
I want to spend with you
It’s like a dream
Now I’m not alone
I’m with you

Oh love, why did you come now?
To me, who was so lonely?
Oh love, I love you
Now be with me all the time

I really liked that song before, it made think of him, how he just came to my life when I was so empty and lost, how I felt like I’ve found my other half. Now it has become a sad song to me, that only reminds me that everything he means to me is exactly what she means to him.

One becomes two
The sadness that took place in my heart for all this time has gone away
Now there is a rainbow that stretches to the end of my life
I only need you
Will you remember for me?
The promise that I’m making right now?
I will give all of me to you, who I love
Now your home is my heart

Do you know how many endless days I waited?
Now in front of everyone
I will hold your hand
And we’ll be together

Will Jinu’s dream come true, will he take her hand and be together forever? And what will I do if that happens, will I be strong enough to be around him, to be by his side like his best friend only, or will I go back to China to face my demons and challenge her decision?

Oh love, why did you come now?
To me, who was so lonely?
Oh love, I love you
Now be with me all the time

Forget the past
Let’s make the times you will spend with me
Into memories

Oh love, why did you come now?
To me, who was so lonely?
Oh love, I love you
Now be with me all the time

Jinu, everything would be so different if that song was for you and me. You who came to my life when I needed you the most, you my other half, I wish I was the one to take your hand and be with you forever.

- Mino is your turn. – said Mina.

- No, I don’t feel like singing today, you guys should take round two.

- No, we already went two times, besides we want to hear you singing, we have never heard you before. – she insisted.

- I’m not a good singer.

- Common Mino. – said Jinu smiling. – I want to hear you too.

- Araso hyung. – I told him while sighing

In the Norebang book I found the song that best describes my mood right now, Toy’s “Good Person”. That was the worst choice if I wanted to be discreet about my feeling for him, but I just needed to vent my feelings somehow or I was going to explode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTUqFm4-3d8

What happened today? It seems like you were crying
Did he hurt your heart? You are the most precious person to me in the world
The vending machine coffee I hold out to you is filled with the feelings I've been hiding
"Thanks... Oppa is such a good person" at those words I only smile

Do you remember? Me, who was hanging out in front of my friend's school
When we pretended like we were a couple, you laughed and I stayed up all night

When you laugh I feel good too, even when you say it's just pretend
You bring happiness to the days when I wait for you, the nights when I miss you
Even when I'm alone it's okay if I can just see you
I'm always behind you, I'm always looking out for you, but it seems like I have to share

 

Is been so hard to be the one always behind him, always looking out for him, just having to settle with him being happy, even when it was with someone else. I was shamelessly staring at him while singing, this song was for him after all, he was just smiling and clapping at me, unaware of how deep my feelings for him are. I don’t want to be the “Good Person” in the story anymore, I want to be the one by his side.

My friends are tiresomely telling me, me who's always singing songs like this
But I know these are just my feelings, I can tell you're in a different place...

Do you understand what I felt on that day? On the night we gathered at a mutual friend's
On my birthday, when you introduced me to the drunk guy who had brought you
If you're good then I'm good too but when I look at the guy who's standing next to you
He's too different from me, all I can do is say "Nice to meet you" to this shabby looking person

I don’t want you to tell me “Thanks… Mino, you’re such a good person” I want you to tell me that you love me not as a friend, but the same way I love you, with all my heart.

Mina then started whispering something into his ear, they were so close, just one centimeter and they could kiss, as I was imagining them kiss I couldn’t take it anymore and left before the song was over.

- Mino, what’s wrong. – Jinu said pulling apart from her.

- I’m sorry, I must go to the bathroom, you guys carry on.

I had to refresh my mind, I splashed some water on my face and waited a few minutes before getting out of the bathroom. When I opened the door, I couldn’t believe who was standing in front, waiting for me.

- What happened Mino, are you alright? – said a worry Mina.

- Yes, I’m fine. It’s just a stomached.

- What a relief. – she said. – I’ve been trying to get closer to you all night, but you seemed to avoid me, is there something wrong?

- I’m not avoiding you, I was just doing my own thing and you were with Jinu anyways.

- But what if I wanted to be with you instead? – then, she pounced at me and kissed me. God, I knew I had a bad feeling about this.

Her lips were full and soft but she reeked of alcohol, I didn’t kiss her back, I just closed my lips tight and pushed her away from me, but then what I saw made my entire world crumbled down. It was Jinu, he was behind us and was staring at me with a shocked expression, eyes wide open and full of tears.

- Jinu, wait!! – I ran towards him. – Is not what you think.

He didn’t look back, he was just running away from me and out of the Norebang. I was following him and I knew I was faster than him, I was going to catch up with him soon. He ran towards a dark alley and when I got there he had already stop running, he was in a squatting position sobbing.

- Hyung, I’m so sorry, I didn’t want that to happen.

- Stop. – he said. – I know what happen, I saw it all, she was the one who kissed you and you didn’t kiss her back, you don’t have to say sorry.

- Hyung, I’m sorry you had to see that, please don’t be mad at me, I never led her on or anything.

- I’m not mad at you. – he said in between sobs. – I’m mad at myself.

- Don’t say that, is not your fault either. – I told him.

- Yes, it is, for been so stupid and blind. I should have known it, she was always asking about you, telling me how cool you were. I thought it was just admiration, I mean who could not admire you, even I am your number one fan. Of course she would rather be with someone like you and not with someone as pitiful and pathetic as me.

- Kim Jinwoo, let me quote Toy’s song, “you’re the most precious person in the world”. Anyone would be the luckiest person to have you, she just made the biggest mistake in her life. – I reassure him and he was finally laughing.

- That was so cheesy. – he said giggling.

- Yes, call me the king of cringe, now let’s go I will take you home. – And I took his hand to help him stand up and didn’t release it, we held hands until the cab came and then he rested his head on my shoulders and fell asleep.

The difference between me and the person who makes you cry is that all I can do is comfort you

When you laugh I feel good too, even when you say it's just pretend
You bring happiness to the days when I wait for you, the nights when I miss you

Even when I'm alone it's okay if I can just see you
I'm always behind you, I'm always looking out for you, but it seems like I have to share

 

Author's Note: Please don't be upset at Hoon or think is out of character the way he reacted at first about Jinu asking Mina out, he has his reason and we will know them later on. See you next week!