The Boy with the Guitar

My Other Half

Authors' Note: I almost didn't update this week, I had a major writer's block. But with what happened in Japan yesterday with the La la land performance and the almost kiss, OMG I was so happy a couldn't not update and the inspiration came right away. Second I wanted to tell you that I been doing a major editing of the previous chapter trough the week, and added tiny little details that weren't there before, so if you have time to read again this will be a good time.

 

****************************************************************

 

(Seung Yoon POV)

 

Once again I wrote a song about her. Is about her glowing skin, her sleek hair, her white teeth… about her melodious laugh, her clear voice and her charming smile. I still can’t remember the moment everything changed, the moment she stopped been a friend and started to become something else, all I know is that now I can’t stop thinking about her.

 

*************************************

 

(6 years ago)

 

The rain was drowning the sounds of their cries, they were all hugging and sharing goodbyes, sad faces everywhere came to me and with pity they patted my shoulders and shared good wishes. This isn’t a funeral, it shouldn’t feel this gloomy and gray, although the rain is kind of helping to set the sorrow mood.

 

I do remember a truly sad moment in my life, it was 5 years ago and even though I was only five years old back then, I can still remember the pain and the overwhelming feeling in my chest. My parents had died in a car accident, the last time I saw their faces was when they put me to bed and kissed me goodnight the day before, now I can hardly remember their faces anymore.

 

It was back then that I started living with my grandparents, and it was then that I met her. I just realized it until now, but since then my world started to revolve around her. On the first day that I moved she came looking for me, her parents had told her that the neighbors were bringing a boy just around her age, and been the nosy friendly little kid she was she came running to meet me the minute she saw my grandfather’s truck. I was just a shy and sad little boy back then, I barely spoke with anyone, but she was a tireless and determined little girl and it became her mission to make me get out of my shell.

 

We were still saying goodbye to our neighbors and putting our suitcases and stuffs in the truck when I saw her in the distance running in our direction, she was soaking wet and gasping for air, then she came to me and hugged me.

 

- What a relief you haven’t left, I was afraid I was too late.

 

- Where were you? - I asked her, in fact I was little upset because I thought she wouldn't come to say goodbye.

 

- Here. - she told me and gave me a guitar pick with my initials S and Y.

 

- Wow, Thanks!!

 

- Is for you, so you don’t forget your best friend once you become a famous rock star.

 

- This is the best gift ever, but I can barely play.

 

- You’ll be a pro some day, I know. - then she hugged me again - Now come and hugged your noona goodbye.

 

But when she hugged me that second time and I heard her low sobbings, I felt something new. They always say “you don’t know what you have until it’s gone”, and that quote became a part of my life since then. After that, the guitar was not only a hobby, it was my way to fulfill a silent promise to her to be the best at it and thinking about her made it easier for me to be more creative and passionate about it, among the dozens of songs I wrote, more than half of them were about her and the new found feelings I discover that rainy afternoon of July.

 

*******************************************

 

(1 year ago)

 

Am I dreaming right now? I can recognize those eyes and that smile, I remember that voice. Yes, she is a young lady now and 5 years ago she was only a 11 year old girl, but her essence is still the same and when the teacher told her to introduce herself she said the name I will never forget “Jung Eunji”.

 

*******************************************

 

(Mino’s POV)

 

After eating breakfast with Jinu and his mom I went home, I rested for a while and got ready to go out again, I was going to pick Jinu up so we could go together to buy some flowers for Yoon grandparents, they invited us to celebrate their 40th year wedding anniversary with their friends and family.

 

We were driving together to the flower shop, the wind was getting colder so he was resting one side of his face against my back and was grabbing my waist tighter than normal. I should be used to this but every time we have physical contact like this it feels the same, my heart was beating so fast and it was so loud I still can’t believe he couldn’t hear it.

 

Ever since I met him I feel like I found a missing piece that completes the puzzle of my existence, ever since we became so close I feel like I’m not lonely anymore, I’m not lost anymore, I don’t feel empty anymore. He is the lantern that lights up my life and he has giving meaning to my once meaningless existence. It has become my mission to make him laugh, I’m a comedian because of him, hearing his laugh is like music to my ears and his smile is the most beautiful painting I ever seen. I’m never felt so thankful to be alive like I am today, I’m also thankful to the Island that saw him be born and to the mother that gave birth to him, he is the most precious been inside and out that was ever created and I’m lucky to be born in the same decade, in the same country and to be his best friend.

 

We arrived at the flower shop and I helped him remove his helmet and then he grabbed me by the wrist and took me inside the place, he was guiding me as he was much more familiar with the place than me.

 

- I think we should buy them freesias, I love their essence. - he said while inhaling the smell of the flowers.

 

- What about roses? - I said. - Is more elegant.

 

- No, they don’t smell that good. - he said grimacing at me. - besides roses brings me bad memories.

 

- Why? - I asked him curious.

 

- The first time I tried to confess to Mina was at the school year’s end ceremony last year. I came to this same shop to buy a bouquet of red roses and I end up throwing them in the trash bin.

 

- Why didn’t you give her the flowers?

 

- Because the first thing she told me that day when I saw her was that she was dating Junhoe. They dated for about two months, before him was Hanbin and after Junhoe she dated Chanwoo for two weeks.

 

- Wow, I’m sorry hyung.

 

- But you know what. - he told me with a shocked face. - Now that I think about it, it doesn’t hurt anymore. - And he started laughing.

 

- Are you over her?

 

- I guess so. - he said with a smile. - So this is how it feels? When something bad happens to you and people said that when time passes you will remember and laugh about it.

 

**************************************************

 

I haven’t seen Yoon grandparents in a long time, my father is his grandmother’s nephew so we have met before in family gatherings and funerals. They were very happy when they saw me and asked me about my family, they were also very kind and caring with Jinu and Hoony, Jinu and Yoon have been friends since he moved here six years ago while Hoony joined the group a little bit later. Besides us they also invited Yoon’s aunt and uncle with their respective families and Eunji and her parents. It was a very traditional celebration with just friends and family and homemade food that the daughter and daughter in law of the family had prepare.

 

The table was served with various different main dishes and side dishes, Jinu and I were sitting next to each other and Hoony and Yoon were sitting in front of us, while Eunji was sitting next to Yoon. Hoony was telling us the story about when he and Yoon met for the first time, while I was removing the bones on Jinu’s fish and putting the boneless pieces of meat on his rice bowl, then all the sudden Hoony stopped what he was doing and stared at us with a serious expression “What are you guys doing?” he asked us and Jinu innocently answer him “Eating” then Hoony’s face transition from serious to shocked and then he looked at me and said “You guys are distracting me.” That was my cue to stop what I was doing, since I was the only one that knew what he was referring to, I was been too obvious again.

 

When we finished eating, Yoon’s uncle started to give a speech about the eternal love of his parents. Since he was already on his third bottle of soju he was really inspired, he talked about how they were the best example in his life of love and affection, how he’s always trying to emulate them in his marriage, how they gave all their love and attention to their children and are now giving it to their grandson too, how they still love each other the same way they did more than 40 years ago when they met for the first time, “... I’m sure that if God gives you another 40 years to live you will still be celebrating together and loving each other the same way you’re doing it now.”

 

After Yoon’s uncle speech was over we all started clapping and Jinu, Hoony and me were already shedding some tears. Then Yoon’s grandmother ask him to sing a song for them.

 

********************************************

 

(Seung Yoon’s POV)

 

I love my grandparents more than anything in the whole world. I barely knew my parents so the most memories that I have, the good ones and the bad ones, are always with haraboji and halmoni by my side. My grandfather at his old age is still managing a tofu shop in order to support us, so I always try to spent most of my free time helping them, but they are always chasing me away and telling me to go play the guitar instead, they love me that much.

 

- Seung Yoonah, can you sing a song for us?

 

- Of course halmoni, which one do you want me to sing?

 

- That one about the rain, the one you sang to me the other day.

 

- But that one is too sad halmoni, is not right for the occasion.

 

- Just sing that one, it was very sweet and nice.

 

- Araso Halmoni.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1701Y8X5mDE

 

Past the window, a sad rain falls

The wind that blows behind the door steals the tears of the window

The gifts I prepared for you, the letter with my confession

They have nowhere to go and are only gathering dust

 

Who will know my heart?

Who will listen to my words?

Those hands that melted me, that soft voice

The fact that those things aren’t mine anymore

Gives me a hard time especially today

 

It’s raining in my heart, it’s raining coldly

It’s raining in my heart, it’s raining again today

 

This was the song I made remembering that rainy afternoon when I first realized my feelings for Eunji, the sound of the rain always makes me think about her. I still remember that day when I saw her one year ago, I was sure we were going to take things right where we left them and then take them to a whole new level.

 

A dark shadow comes down in my room

The clock that shines with the moonlight has stopped at the day we broke up

The times I lived for you, my heart that held you

They have no owner and are only embracing the wind

 

Who will know my heart?

Who will listen to my words?

Even my rough lips, even my cold heart

Still look for only you

I miss you even more today

 

It’s raining in my heart, it’s raining coldly

It’s raining in my heart, it’s raining again today

 

On the day I saw her again after all those years I was so excited. At lunch period I ran towards her and gave her a back hugh, “Eunji noona!!”, then she turned around and saw me with a shocked expression “Do we know each other?” she asked me and I could not believe it, was I the only one that was harboring those type of feelings all of this time?

 

Now I know that I can’t see you but

It feels like you’ll come here again

The rain falls and the wind blows

But there is no place to hide and my heart freezes

 

It’s raining in my heart, it’s raining coldly

It’s raining in my heart, it’s raining again today

 

The gifts I prepared for you, the letter with my confession

They have nowhere to go and are only gathering dust

 

After I told her my name she recognized me and we started talking again, but if felt different, she didn’t have the same warm towards me anymore. A few days after she started asking me questions about Seung Hoon, what things he like, what were his hobbies, if he had a girlfriend and more, my heart was broken because of the interest she was showing to him. Then she transferred the same obsession towards Jinwoo hyung, after that I realized she wasn’t really showing a romantic interest, it was more a childish interest like the one of a fan to her idol, but it also made realized that I didn’t have a place in her heart, at least not in that way, in a romantic kind of way. She will grow up and mature someday and then she might be ready to accept my feelings, but today is not the day.

 

************************************************

 

(Mino’s POV)

 

While Yoon was singing I couldn't help but feel some type of warm and happiness inside of me, I knew the lyrics of the song were about heartbreak, but I don’t know if it because of his alluring voice, the passion he puts in playing the guitar or the feelings that are engraved on the lyrics, but it made me feel good, and as I was watching Jinu I could see that he was also enjoying the song. Then when the song ended everyone started clapping and patting him on the back telling him he did a good work, “My grandson will be a rockstar!!” yelled his grandmother and all of us agreed with her.

 

- Honestly Yoon. - asked Hoony. - Are you aiming to be a singer in the future?

 

- I’m not sure if I will be on the stage myself. - he said. - But I definitely want keep doing music in the future, music is my life.

 

- I have no doubt you will be a star. - said Eunji joining our conversation. - You’ve always been very talented.

 

- Thanks Eunji. - he said blushing at her compliment.

 

- I’m jealous that you know what you want to do. - I told him sadly. - I still don’t know what I want to do with my life.

 

- I’m sure you can do anything you put your mind into. - said Jinu. - What about you guys?

 

- I definitely want to be involved with fashion. - said Hoony.

 

- I want to be a journalist, I might work for an important newspress or I’ll start my own news website in the future. - said Eunji.

 

- As for me. - said Jinu. - I never dreamt about anything other than soccer before, until I met Mino.

 

- What do you mean? - Asked Hoony surprised, while I was still out of words.

 

- I want to become a chef. - he firmly said. - Before I used to hate cooking, but that was because I had to do it when I was all by myself when my mom was working, so it reminded me of that, of been lonely. But when I met Mino I wanted to cook for him as a thank you, so I became very interested in what he liked and looked for recipes for the first time in my life and when I saw how happy it made him, it also brought me happiness. Lately I started cooking for my mom too, so she can rest when she is back from work and it just makes me so content seeing her enjoying all the new dishes I learn, and she is very proud of how far I come, I used to be bad at even frying an egg before.

 

- Wow hyung, that’s great. - I told him.

 

- I still have a lot to learn, but it makes me really excited to know there is a whole gastronomic world outside for me to explore.

 

Author's Note: First thanks for reading and I'm sorry the story is so slow, thing will happen on it's right time and there will be romance, I swear. With this one we got to know a little bit more about Yoonie and the next one will be more focus on Hoony, but there will be always plenty Songkim moments. See you next week!!