The Reunion

My Other Half

(1 day before the game)

This is the more active I ever been on a Saturday, I woke up early and started to get ready as the team was coming over to my aunt’s apartment, Jinu hyung manage to get a video of Kyungnam high school’s last game, so we could find their weaknesses. My aunt is not a tidy person, so the living room and the kitchen were a mess and I also needed to hide the drawings I have of Jinu all over my room.

There are no many opportunities for Jinu to watch me on casual clothes, we are always either with our school uniform or our soccer uniform, so I was trying to pick my best outfit and wear some perfume. My aunt also helped me to prepare some snacks like popcorn, chips and slice fruit.

Nearing 10 am the team finally arrived all together and Jinu brought a girl I don’t know with him. We all tried to accommodate in the living room, it wasn’t that hard as the apartment is quite big, but a few of them had to sit on the floor. Besides Jinu, Hoon and Yoonie, our team also consist of Hanbin who is the left winger, Jiwon is the right winger, Jinhwan plays inside forward, Yunhyeong and Donghyuk are halfback and Chanwoo and Junhoe are fullback. The girl that Jinu brought with him happens to be Nayeon his cousin, she also goes to Kyungnam high school and she was the one that filmed the video for us.

- She actually has all of their games for the last 2 years on tape, she is kind of a soccer groupie. – said Jinu.

- Oh, so it runs in the family. – tease Hoony and all the team started laughing.

- You could say so. – admitted Jinu. – Let’s watch and study only their last game, I watched almost all the tapes and I think this is the most important one.

After watching the whole game, I realized that their team is on another level to the one we just played last week. Nayeon explained a little bit about the members and their role on their team, Im Jae Bum is not only their captain, he is also their leader on and off the field, Park Jin Young is his right hand and right winger, Mark their goalkeeper is almost reaching Hoony’s record and since Nam Taehyun join them, their goal average has increase. I could tell that the whole team was really nervous after watching their game, we came to the conclusion that Junhoe will need to shadow Taehyun and don’t leave his side for a second. Also, their defense is not that strong so I will try to exceed them in order to score.

I was deeply worried about Jinu, he didn’t talk that much, which is weird when it comes to soccer, and he was doing that thing he always does when he is nervous of hiding his hands inside his sleeves. I tried to calm him down by offering them food so we could change the topic a bit, fortunately the distraction came when my aunt arrived from the gym, she was only wearing leggins and a tank top and of course my teammates were all staring at her, they were almost drooling and I can understand that, after all she is really pretty for her age. But even if all their eyes were on her at the moment, she only had eyes for Jinu when she saw him.

- Oh, you must be Kim Jinwoo-ssi. – she said hugging him and embarrassing me to death. – I thought he was exaggerating about your looks, how wrong I was, your face belongs to the TV screen!! Do you want me to get you an audition?

- Thank you, but no. I’m all about soccer. – he was so awkward at that moment.

- Yes, I know. Mino has told me all about you. – okay, it was time to stop her.

- Aunt, you should go take a bath now, you have sweat a lot! – I knew I was being harsh on her, but that was the only way for her to leave us alone.

- Oh, I’m sorry kids, I must be stinking at the moment.

- Not at all – they all yell in unison.

- Kids are so polite now a day. Feel yourself at home. – she said and finally walked to her room.

While everyone was eating, Jinu told me that he wanted to see my room and I felt so relief to have hide all the incriminating drawings. I’ve only been living here for a little over a month, so there’s really nothing special about my room, just one bed, the TV and apple TV device, a desk and my art supplies, but he was in awe at how big my room was and even jumped on the bed. Jinu saw the few drawings that I had on display and asked me to draw him some other time, if only he knew. When the boys finally got tired of waiting for my aunt to get out of her room they started to leave, the last ones to leave were Hoony and Yoon, Jinu left first because he needed to walk her cousin to the station, I’m happy that he has so many friends and family who seem to care for him a lot.

****************************************

It was already 11 pm and couldn’t sleep, there were so many things on my head, tomorrow’s game, the strength of the rival team, Jinu hyung jumping on my bed. I was still lost in thought when my cellphone’s beep put me out of my stupor.

Jinu hyung: Mino, are you sleep?

Cool Mino: No hyung, I can’t sleep, there are so many things in my head right now.

Jinu hyung: I can’t sleep either.

Jinu hyung: The truth is, I’m really nervous about tomorrow’s game. Not only because how good they are.

Jinu hyung: But because we must play against Taehyun.

Cool Mino: Are you really that close?

Jinu hyung: Before he left we were super close. We still call each other from time to time tough.

Cool Mino: I guess I can understand how you feel. It must be hard to play against a friend.

Jinu hyung: He is more like a donseng to me, a donseng that I wanted to protect. But now I can’t protect him anymore.

Cool Mino: Don’t feel bad, is just one game. We probably won’t play against them again.

Jinu hyung: Mino, I’m a horrible person.

Cool Mino: Why do you say that?

Jinu hyung: I wish he was injured, so we didn’t have to play against him tomorrow.

Jinu hyung: How can I protect my dear donseng against my own evil wishes?

Jinu hyung: I’m so ashamed right now.

Jinu hyung: You must also feel that I’m a horrible person now T_T

Cool Mino: Hyung, you are one of the must kindest people I ever knew. The fact that you feel bad and ashamed about it says a lot about you.

Cool Mino: I’m happy you shared that with me. You have to know that I won’t ever judge you. I could never think of you as a bad person, NEVER!!

Jinu hyung: Thanks Mino, I know I can trust you.

Cool Mino: Now tried to sleep and get some rest.

Cool Mino: We have a big game tomorrow.

Jinu hyung: I know!!!

Jinu hyung: But I can’t fall sleep T_T

Jinu hyung: Otoke!! I’ll be a zombie tomorrow T_T

Cool Mino: Listen to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVDgVe1yGOg

Jinu hyung: Those are for babies!! ¬_¬

Cool Mino: And who says you’re not a baby??

Cool Mino: hahahahahaha xD

Jinu hyung: 😝

Cool Mino: Please hyung just try to sleep now.

Cool Mino: And remember, you are a good person, you’re just going through a tough time right now. Anyone would feel like you.

Jinu hyung: T_T

Jinu hyung: I feel so much better now.

Jinu hyung: And you’re right, this music is very relaxing.

Cool Mino: GN hyung, sleep tight!

Jinu hyung: GN Mino and thank you 😊

********************************************

There’s only 10 minutes left in the game and we are tie 1-1, I scored the first goal after 28 minutes and Nam Taehyun scored his team’s goal at the 48th minute. We were pretty even during the first half, but we are staying behind now, probably their coach gave them a really good speech during the half time interval. Nam Taehyun once again sneaked out of our defense and Hoony ran towards him leaving the goal alone, Taehyun passed the ball to Jae Bum who came out of nowhere and was all alone as all of our defenders were trying to shadow Taehyun, I was too far away to react, before Jae Bum could have an open view of the goal Junhoe was so desperate that he did a stud up tackle on Jae Bum. Then I heard what I was must afraid of, the referee’s whistle, he gave the other team a penalty kick and Nam Taehyun scored the second goal for his team. The were no many minutes left and on top of that the other team was wasting time as much as they could, the match ended just like that. All of us were disappointed, but Jinu was devastated.

************************************

We had agreed to meet Taehyun at The Purple café no matter the result of the match. Yoon, Hoony, Jinu and I were already waiting for him when he came.

- Taehyunah!! – they all greeted him.

- Fated Four!! – Tahyun said – I already saw your fansite guys, it’s so funny, that Eunji noona never changes.

- You already know how she is. But tell us how are you doing at your new school? – asked Yoon with interest.

- Well, I had a different mindset this time around, mostly thanks to you guys, so I made friends right away and of course I needed to join the soccer team, too bad we had to play against each other.

- You were superior this time around, but we’re not losing next time. – threatened Hoony.

- Actually, I just hope we don’t have to play against each other again. This time it was really hard for me, you guys were my best friends, especially Jinu hyung.

- I know how you felt Taehyunah. – said a sad Jinu.

- You have no idea hyung, I was wishing for you to fail English and be kick out of team just so I didn’t have to play against you. – We all started laughing at Taehyun’s wishful thinking and the mood changed from then on, with them telling past stories about each other and I wasn’t left out at all, I felt included by them, they all wanted me to know the stories and shared them with me like I was also there, I felt part of the group. After two rounds of drinks and desserts we started to say goodbye.

- Before we go, there’s something I wanted to tell you guys in person. My father quit his job, he found a new job at the town where we live, it pays less but we’re not having to move anymore.

- Taehyunah, I’m so happy for you! – said Jinu and hug him.

- That’s so cool man! – said Yoon.

- Too bad that is until now that we’re not together anymore. – said Hoony.

- I know, is kind of late for me. But at least my donseng won’t have to go through all I went through before.

- Is not late dude, you will have the last 2 years of high school without having to change school, you can even get a girlfriend now. – said Yoon trying to cheer him up.

- Yeah, maybe. – said Taehyun. – By the way Yoon, did you finally asked Eunji noona out?

- Why would I do that?

- Common, stop pretending, we all know you like her. – said Taehyun with a mischievous smile.

- Don’t waste your time Taehynah, he’s not ready to admit the truth. – said Hoony.

- I can sense that. Okay guys, I have to go the station now before it gets late. Song Mino, can I talk to you in private?

- Sure. – I said and walked to another table with him, while the rest of the guys were curiously staring at us. – I’m all ears.

- I just wanted to ask you to take care of Jinu hyung. You know, he feels like he needs to protect me, but you and I know he is the one that needs to be protected the most. He is too innocent and helpless for his own good, besides those two idiots don’t pay enough attention to him most of the times. I can tell he cares a lot about you, he talks about you all the time. Whatever happens, don’t hurt him okay?

- Why would I hurt him?

- I don’t know. I just feel that you’re very special to him, I don’t want to see him getting hurt.

- I won’t ever hurt him.

- Glad to hear that. Now let’s go back before they think I’m threatening you or something.

*************************************

We’re finally getting the results for our English test today, Jinu is nervous, he is doing that thing again where he hides his hands inside of his sleeves.

- Don’t worry hyung, I’m sure you’re getting more than a B.

- Do you think so?

- Yes, I know so. I guess you won’t need my tutoring anymore.

- Of course I do, there are so many other subjects on which you can help me. Besides we just started watching Sense 8 together. – He said pouting, I guess I will still be enjoying our afternoons, studying together, watching Netflix and savoring Jinu’s dishes.

- Here Jinwoo, congratulations. – said Lee Seung Hyun sonsengnim giving Jinu his paper.

- What is it hyung? – asked Yoon and Hoony.

- Is an A. – answered Jinu surprised.

- Wow hyung, you did it!! – we all said and hug him.

- Guys, I’m doing it!!

- Doing what? – asked Hoony.

- I’m asking Mina out.

 

Author's Note: Sorry for the late update, but I tried to compensate by posting the longest chapter of MOH to date. Now the introductory chapters are basically over so we will be getting more Songkim interactions, the romance will kick off very soon so be alert for the next chapters!!