The Fated Four

My Other Half

I said before that I was lot like my aunt and that’s farther away from the true that I allow myself to admit. Kim Hyun Joo always fought for what she wanted, while I still don’t know what I want to do with my life, I know what I don’t want and that is to follow my father’s wish of taking over the family business. To be tied down to a life that I didn’t choose myself, being trapped in a loveless marriage of convenience and step over people’s life just for money. That’s the life that my father chose for himself, he doesn’t have to pass it over to me.

While I was busy in the kitchen cutting vegetables I though crossed my mind, who knows maybe I can become a chef and I started laughing at my own lame joke. I woke up early today to cook, the last four days I've been witness of how Kim Jinwoo hasn’t eaten at least one decent meal, not even on the days that we have practice and that worries me a lot. So yesterday I bought two dosiraks and went grocery shopping, after watching him steal food from Yoon and Hoony the last few days I kind of know what he likes and since my mom is sending me more allowance that what I’m able to spend on this new simple life, I have more than enough money to buy good quality ingredients for both of us. I made jumeokbap, octopus shaped sausages, and his favorite tamagoyaki, I garnished it with some vegetables and stole some of my aunt’s kimchi, at least her kimchi is not that bad. I can’t wait to see his face while he eats.

****************************

Kim Jinwoo is a rare specimen, he is a two-face beauty. When he is Jinu hyung he is nice, caring and kind, but when he is captain Kim Jinwoo he is rude, demanding and loud. Somehow, I admired and like both sides of him, I find it endearing. The last few days I have learn a lot more about him, since the four of us are together almost all the time during the school day and the two of us take the ride back home together every day. At the beginning our conversations were all about soccer, but little by little we started venturing on different other topics. I learned that he is not very book smart but he is very diligent with his studies since he doesn’t want to endanger his position in the team. I also learned that he is an only child and that’s the reason why he is so close to Yoon and Hoony, he sees them as his brothers. He also told me that his mother works a lot as a nurse and doesn’t have time to cook for him and he doesn’t buy food at school because is too crappy and expensive for his taste, so he is saving the lunch money his mom is giving him to buy her a nice gift and having emergency funds in case she needs it. I’ve also shared with him a little bit about myself, what I like and my hobbies, how besides soccer, I like to paint and draw. I told him that I have an older sister that I haven’t seen in three years and a little bit a about my school life and friends in China. I was still lost in my thoughts about him when Lee Seung Hyung sonsengnim entered the classroom.

- Class were going to continue with the science project in partners. Mino, Eunji will be your partner, she was sick last Friday so she doesn’t have a partner assigned yet.

- Okay. – I told him, I little bit sad because partners were already assigned and Jinwoo already has one.

All the students moved with their respective partners, Hoony and Yoon were together and Jinu hyung’s partner was Mina, I recognized her as she was the one that serve our table when we went to the maid café at the school’s festival. Eunji came to sit next to me, she was really pretty, tan with long black hair, she seemed kind of nice and had a very tick Busan’s accent.

- Hi! I’m Jung Eunji, nice to meet you.

- Song Mino. -- I replied.

- Yes, I know who you are, you’re already pretty famous around here.

- Is that so? – I asked with a lot of interest.

- Of course. I still can’t believe they took you under their wing so fast. – she said while grinning.

- What do you mean? – I asked confused.

- You know, your friends. Kim Jinwoo-ssi, Lee Seunghoon-ssi and Seung Yoon-ah.

I was still a little bit lost, how would that make me famous? She seemed to notice my confusion so she started explaining. “Those 3 guys are really famous in school, you could say they are like idols for the other students, but unlike popular guys in other schools, they are actually very nice and approachable.” Then she showed me her cellphone, she opened a fan site dedicated to them, it had pictures of them in their regular school activities, like Jinu playing soccer, Hoony in a theater play, Yoon playing the guitar, among many other activities. The fan site also had profiles of the boys, with their full names, likes and hobbies, favorite music, favorite foods and more. 

Then she continued, “You could say I’m like the president of their fan club.” She was grinning from ear to ear obviously feeling proud of her work. “Kang Seung Yoon is a freaking genius, he started school one year earlier because he was so restless as a toddler, he always represents the school in all of the academic competitions. Math, science, history, any subject, he is good in all and not only that, he is also a music genius, when he is not in school he is always with his guitar, he is a genius composer too. We’re childhood friends you know, he is also from Busan like me, but the traitor doesn’t use the dialect anymore.” She said while glaring at him, he seemed to notice as he looked at us a little bit shy and blushing. She stopped looking at him and started again, "Then you have Lee Seunghoon, you probably already know this but he is a start athlete, he has won many different trophies as MVP of the soccer team. But he is also good at any performing art. Every time we prepare a school play he is always the lead, besides he is a genius dancer, you know there is a rumor that he’s been street casted like five different times, but he always rejects them saying that he doesn’t have any interest in becoming an idol, I heard that on his vocational form he wrote that he wants to be a fashion designer or something.” I could definitely tell where his interest in fashion comes from, since his father owns several different high end clothing brands, that reminds me that I still haven’t talk with Hoony about why is he here, eating homemade dossiraks and taking the bus home, there is something weird going on that he still hasn’t told me, and he hasn’t asked me anything about my new life either.

“Finally, there is Kim Jinwoo. He might not be as smart or talented in arts like the other two, but you can’t deny he is a face genius, besides he is the one that has them with their feet on the ground since he is so humble and nice to everyone. He tights them together like glue, he is like the mediator of the group. He is also so diligent that teachers love him, you know how Lee Seung Hyun sonsengnim always jokes around with him, but he is in fact very fond of him. There are so many accounts of how he is being very nice to people off school’s grounds too...” As she was telling this sonsengnim came to see how we were doing and started scolding us since we didn’t have anything done yet. But once he was gone she continue, “So you know what your new name nickname is?” I just shook my head at her question. “You guys are the F4, like Hana Yori Dango, but not for flower four, is the F4 as the Fated Four” and she started laughing at her own idea. “And why Fated Four?” I asked her. Then she explained, “Is because you fit the group like a glove since day one and you guys seem to get along as you knew each other for years and now you’re inseparable.” Well I really did know Yoon and Hoony before but weren’t really close until now.

“You have to allow me to interview you so I can create your profile too...” While she continued her rant about wanting to make a new profile for me and how she needed to interview me as soon as possible to update next week, I started looking at Jinu hyung. He seemed so happy at that moment, he was laughing at what Mina was saying, there was something different in his eyes and I could tell he was blushing hard. What could they be talking about?