The Captain

My Other Half

Is been two weeks since a came to Korea to live with my aunt and I still can’t get use to see her without makeup or to her horrible cooking, I know I should not be this ungrateful, after all she took me in no questions asks and is not charging me a dime to live under her roof.

I think the reason why she didn’t hesitate to take me in is because she sees herself in me, I am a lot like her when she was my age. My aunt’s name is Kim Hyun Joo, she is my mother’s sister so she comes from the side of the family with money, but she has never use her family’s money to be where she is today. After she graduated from high school she emancipated herself from the family because they didn’t approve her dream of becoming a news anchor, they just wanted her to inherit the family business like my mom did. Now she is one of the most successful news anchor in Korea, she can afford this really nice place where we live, she travels, she eats in nice places, buys crazy expensive designer’s clothes and is really living the life, the only downside is that she is already 36 years old and single and lonely as the night.

- Mino do you have everything ready for school tomorrow?

- Yes aunt.

- What about the books and clothes you will wear?

- All done. – I lied, I was just felling lazy at that moment.

- Okay, do you want me to prepare you something to eat?

- No need, I will just buy something there.

- Okay but don’t eat just junk food, try to eat something healthy.

- Same to you aunt, I know what you eat when you have a busy scheduled.

- Yes but I’m old, you’re still growing so eat fruits and vegetables!!!! I’m going to bed now because I have a busy day tomorrow, don’t stay with the computer up till late, remember you must wake up early tomorrow and set up the alarm because I’m not waking you up!!

- Araso, araso, just go to bed and have your beauty sleep. Good night, love you aunt.

- Love you too honey.

While I rest on my bed I just can’t stop thinking about him, actually I have been thinking about him nonstop the last two days since I met him. Kim Jinwoo, Jinu hyung… Even his name is pretty, I can’t help but wonder, is he as beautiful inside as he is on the outside?

 

************************

My aunt definitely jinx me, I forgot to set up the alarm and I woke up 15 minutes late and today of all days when I really wanted to look good for Kim Jinwoo, now I’m sure I look like a bum with my hair all messy and baggy clothes since I didn’t have enough time to get ready. And now the dreadful moment arrived when I have to be introduce in front of the whole class. Our class room teacher Lee Seung Hyun cleared his throat to grab everyone’s attention to me.

- Attention everyone, we have a new student, this is Song Mino he came from china – then he looked at me with a confused expression on his face and whispered – hey, you don’t look Chinese?

- I’m not, I was just living there for the past 10 years because of my father’s job.

- Oh, he was transferred there?

- Um… yes, sort of. – then he whispered to me to introduce myself to the class.

- Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Song Mino, please take good care of me. – I’m sure I was red as a beet at that moment while my eyes were scanning the whole room looking for him, but I couldn’t find him and my heart was breaking into pieces.

Lee Seung Hyun sonsengnim show me two empty seats at the back of the classroom and told me to seat in one of them and at that moment I felt hope in my heart again, hope that one of those two seats was going to be used by him.

My cousin Yoon was seating in front of me and Hoony’s seat was in front of the seat next to me so we were very close to each other, they were both grinning from ear to ear mocking me since I came.

- Yah! Song Mino you were so stiff, hahahaha… -- Yoon said while laughing his crazy demon laugh.

- And your face was tomato red – Hoony added – I can’t believe the cool Song Mino could be that embarrassed, hahahaha...

- Just shut up you two, sonsengnim is looking at us – I told them but then at that very moment my world stop.

There he was with his eyes big and open like a deer caught in the headlights, crazy beautiful Kim Jinwoo finally in all his glory no makeup and dress like a boy.

- Well if it is Kin Jinwoossi, thank you for gift us with your presence – said teacher Seung Hyun sarcastically.

- I’m sorry sonsengnim, I had a family emergency – he said while scratching the back of his neck.

- And since when oversleeping is a family emergency? Just seat you know I can call your mom so stop with the lies!

- Araso, mianhae. – he said embarrassed while walking to the seat on the back, he was coming to us!! To that seat next to me!!

- Oh!! Song Mino! – he said with a smile on his face while pointing at me and I was just froze lost for words.

- Oh, hi! – I said.

- Is me Kim Jinwoo, I don’t think you remember me because I was dress like a tramp, we met at the school festival.

- Yes, I remember you.

- Good, glad we’re on the same class.

- Hyung! We need to talk about the strategy for our next… -- Seung Hoon (Hoony) was telling him but at that moment sonsengnim interrupted him and started nagging at us to shut up.

On our lunch period the four of us put our seats together to eat, I bought a sandwich and a yogurt, Jinu hyung was only eating bread and a grape juice while Yoon and Hoony brought dosiraks from home and were sharing their food with him.

- So hyung, about the strategy for our next game do you have anything plan – said Hoony with a serious expression on his face mirrored by the same serious expression on Jinu’s face.

- I couldn’t stop thinking about it last night, that’s why I didn’t wake up on time today. Look guys, their team is very strong, and although we have a very good defense we’re lacking a lot in offensive since Namtae left and they have the best defense I seen in all of the teams on the tournament. I’m really worry guys, I think we can really lose this one.

- No way we’re losing!!! – yelled Seung Yoon (Yoon) – Hoony hyung’s wall is unbreakable.

- Yes, it is but is no use if we can’t score a goal. – Said Jinu with a sad expression on his face.

I was really feeling like an outsider in this conversation and it seems like Jinu hyung suddenly realize this as he looked at me and said – "Hey Mino, do you play soccer?"

- Yes, of course – I said happy realizing that I have a hobby in common with him.

- What position do you play – he said with interest written all over his face.

- I play forward.

- Fantastic!! Do you want to try out for our team? – he said and there were literally lights on his eyes.

- Don’t do it Mino!!! – yelled Yoon throwing his arms at me. -- Don’t do it!!

- Yes, our captain is the evil himself – added Hoony while laughing.

- You’re going to lose your social life!! – said Yoon.

- Among many other thing – said Hoony.

- Don’t listen to this crazy bastard – interrupted Jinu.

- And who is the captain? – I asked

- Kim Jinwoo hyung!! -- They both yelled while Jinu was adorably pouting at them.

- I’ll do it!!!