The Sleepover

My Other Half

Author's Note: I'm really sorry for not updating last week, there were so many things going on and also this was actually a hard chapter to write, there were so many things I wanted to include. On the side note, did you guys saw Yoon been guest at Eunji's solo concert!! That really made my day, I just love their friendship and I'm glad I will get more pictures of them together because there is more of them in the story later on. Hope you enjoy!! 

*************************************************************************

 

I could barely sleep after talking all night with my sister, she had so many things to tell me, how she is getting only good grades, how she is finally getting along with her roommate after all this time, how she misses me and mom like crazy, all the new things she is learning. I also told her about my new friends and specially about Jinu, without telling her directly she was quick to notice that I’m already falling for him and she encouraged me to confess to him when the time is right, I wish it was that easy.

Is a good thing that Jinu told me to not cook anything for Friday, he texted me to tell me he was going to make lunch for both of us once again, because I was too tired to wake up earlier to prepare something. Like we had agreed before, I took the bus to school today, I’m only going to be using my motorbike on Tuesdays and Thursdays when Jinu and I spend the evening together at his place. But today after practice, we still have a lot to prepare for tomorrow’s activity we’re planning to lift the team’s spirits, I think I should have brought my motorbike today after all.

When lunch period arrived Jinu took out a thermos and served me seaweed soup, it was the one I was wishing to have on my birthday and he make it happen, one day later, but better late than never.

- How is it? – he asked me.

- Is really good, delicious. – I told him happily. – No one has ever made me seaweed soup for my birthday before.

- You know his birthday was yesterday right? – said Hoony sarcastically.

- The plan was to make him feel like we didn’t care about it. – said Jinu pouting his beautiful lips.

- And still you brought him kimbap. – said Hoony matter of factly.

- I couldn’t let him work on his birthday. – said Jinu like it was obvious.

- Since when were you planning it? – I asked him curious.

- Well, I… I actually talk to your aunt the day we went to your house with the team.

- That was days ago!!

- Um. – he nodded. – And the day we went to The Purple café with Namie, I remembered you told me that carrot cake was your favorite, so I looked for the recipe and bake it myself.

- Why didn’t you tell us hyung? – asked Yoon offended. – We could have help you out.

- No way, I know how you are, you guys can’t keep a secret.

- I guess you’re right. – accepted Hoony. – I would have given him some hints at least.

- Oh Mino, I forgot to tell you. – said Jinu. – We need to go to Eunji’s house today after practice to finish our project.

- Why are you going to Eunji’s house? – asked Yoon.

- It’s a secret. – said Jinu.

- Oh… So, you are in that kind of relationship now, the one where you keep secrets, just the two of you. – said Hoony winking his eyes at us.

- Yes, we are. – said Jinu. – And it’s time for you two to know, Mino is my new best friend now.

- Hum, I should feel mad. – said Hoon crossing his arms. – But you guys actually make a cute couple.

- Ahahahaha… this weird hyung – said Yoon laughing and for the first time ever I saw Jinu getting his cheeks all pink with blush at one of Hoony’s jokes about us.

*****************************************************************************************

On Saturday morning, we all gathered at my place, just like we did last time the entire team was sitting in the living room, some on the couch and the others on the floor and once all were settle Jinu gave a few words for the team.

- So, as you know guys, tomorrow we’re playing one of the most important games in our school life, but that doesn’t mean that you must stress over the results. Yes, tomorrow is important and yes, it could be the end of our road or it could mean us going to next level. But I want you to remember what the real reason was for us to join the team in the first place, at the beginning, before we knew each other, we didn’t know if we were going to be good or bad, if we were going to ever qualify to an important tournament or play just friendly games the whole time. We only knew we love soccer and that by joining the team we were going to meet new people, people with similar interest, and ultimately friends with whom we could share our time together every Friday afternoon, it was all about having fun. Nonetheless, in the process of having fun together we all got to really know each other and got to know our weakness and strengths, today I want it to be all about remembering the last ones. – He then pushed the play button on the remote and the video we prepared with Eunji started playing.

(Eunji narrating, BGM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuxoh28iqC0 )

“Anmin High School, cradle of brave people. This is where the talented and hardworking comes together and creates the ultimate soccer player.

(the screen shows scenes of Hanbin’s best plays) Hanbin, a natural born leader, he will point out exactly where you’re making a mistake and highlight your strengths, he will get the best out of you.

(the screen shows scenes of Jiwon’s best plays) Jiwon, the life of the party, even in the most serious and stressful moments he has the ability of making you laugh.

(the screen shows scenes of Jinwhan’s best plays) Jinwhan, sweet and caring, someone you now you can trust and lean on even on the hardest moments.

(the screen shows scenes of Junhoe’s best plays) Junhoe, brave and fearless, he will put everything on the line for the good of the team when needed.

(the screen shows Yunghyeong’s best plays) Yunghyeong, thoughtful and reflective, wise beyond his years he is someone you can asked advice from.

(the screen shows Donghyuk’s best plays) Donghyuk, friendly and outgoing, always easy to get along with him, you never be lonely around him.

(the screen shows Chanwoo’s best plays) Chanwoo, our cute donseng, hard worker and fast learner, will absorb like a sponge anything you teach him.

(the screen shows Yoon’s best plays) Seung Yoon, bright and smart, with his ideas we have moved forward several times, the one we can always rely on to make a great strategy for our games.

(the screen shows Hoon’s best plays) Seung Hoon, witty and wise, our great wall with whom we could never have gone this far, our star must valuable player.

(the screen shows Mino’s best plays) Mino, our happy virus and energy booster, he came to our team when we needed him the most and fit right in, truly a good friend on who you can trust.

(the screen shows Jinwoo’s best plays) Captain Jinwoo, the one that manages this ship, we would have lost our way long time ago if it wasn’t for him and you will never find a more kind and nice hyung than him.

Anmin High School, either you win or lose remember you have each other, the best trophy you’ll ever get is your friendship, treasure that, this are your epochal times. Those days once gone you will never get them back. Remember we write our own future and no matter what happens the next day when we wake up the sky will still be blue.

Anmin High School, let’s throw our worries away and let’s go up together.”

After the video was over Jinu handed the cardboard trophies we made for every member, “Okay guys, from now on let’s not think about the game anymore and just have fun” said Jinu after handing the last trophy. My aunt bought us fried chicken and pizza and we ate until our heart’s content. Afterwards, Jinu hyung was the only one that stayed for dinner, of course because he was the only one invited by my aunt, she cooked kimchi jjigae and of course being the nice kid he is he ate it all and never once complained about the food.

**********************************************

We literally shed blood, sweat and tears, but we won our last match on the group round and we were finally classified to quarters to final.

As we expected they were aggressive, very aggressive. We made sure the referee was not biased this time, Lee Seung Hyun songsaengnim had kept an eye on him to make sure there weren’t any secret meetings with the other team but still that didn’t stop them to play dirty, only that this time at least one of them got a red card.

But what really got my blood boiling was when one of them injured Jinu hyung, I went after him and kick his , of course I also got a red card as well and was suspended from the match and our next game. In the end, we played 10 against 10 and we managed to win 3 against 1.

Jinu sprained his ankle due to a dirty kick by one of our rivals, so I been carrying his stuffs and he is being leaning on me all week. Instead of taking the bus we have been driving my motorcycle every day. At the beginning, he was very shy and apprehensive about putting his arms around my waist, but by Friday he was already accustomed to it.

*********************************************************************

On Friday, while we were at practice I notice that Chanwoo handed a carboard box to Jinu hyung in secrecy and then Jinu went hiding behind the benches, so I followed him and found him sitting on the floor eating candies and Cheetos from the box.

- What are you doing hyung?

- Oh, Mino! – he said startled. – What a relief is you.

- Aren’t you going to explain this, why did Chanwoo gave you a box full of candies and what are you hiding in here?

- Chanwoo’s cousin, Dara noona send this to me. – he told me. – She used to be my neighbor before she left to the States.

- Is she your girlfriend or something? – I complained. – Why is she sending you that?

- No way, she is not my girlfriend or anything, she is just a close noona, that’s all.

- And why are you hiding?

- Because! – he said like it was obvious. – If they see this I will be out of snacks in no time. This type of present, I only get it like once a year.

- Aw… hyung. – I affectionally said and started laughing at his innocence.

- Mino, let’s go home!

- But practice isn’t over yet.

- Is okay, we don’t even have a game this week anyway. – he said and I could not believe this rebellious side of Jinu hyung I was seeing for the first time ever.

- Okay, let’s go, I will take you home.

- Can you stay over for the night? – he asked me with puppy eyes. – Mom has a night shift at the hospital today so we can watch movies and eat my snacks together.

- Are you sure you want to share with me?

- Maybe. – he said with a mischievous smile and I was sure I could take him to the end of the world in exchange of that smile.

When we got to his place, Jinu called his mom to let her know I was staying over and then he looked for clothes to lend me, he found the biggest sweatpants he had and a white t shirt and still they were a little bit tight on me and then we order sushi for dinner and eat it together in the dinning room.

We were both laying down on his bed eating Reese’s and Flaming Hot Cheetos trying to figure out which movie to watch today. So far, after our study sessions, we have finished watching full series like Stranger Things and Sense 8 together and we have washed a few movies like La La Land, Interstellar and the entire saga of Harry Potter, which strangely enough, Jinu hyung had never watched before. But now we didn’t seem to agree on which movie to watch, then his eyes lit up and he turned at me excited.

- Mino, why don’t we watch Serendipity?

- Are you sure hyung? – I asked him. – I don’t think you’re going to like it, is not your kind of movie.

- But it’s your favorite movie!! – he said looking thrilled. – I want to watch it.

- Araso hyung. – I gave up. – But don’t blame me if you fall asleep while watching it.

Then we put ourselves even more comfortable that we already were putting our heads on top of the many cushions he has and he was laying so close to me, basically resting the right side of his body on mine and he stopped eating so he could “put his entire attention on the movie” like he said. And then the movie started, I was 100% sure he was going to fall asleep like he did with La La Land, but he was awake during the entire movie with much interest in his eyes, his eyes were even glistering with tears at the end and I was feeling so content to see that he also liked the movie.

- So, what do you think about the movie? – I asked him.

- It was better than I expected! – he told me pleasantly surprised.

- Well, it wasn’t exactly the reaction I was hoping for, but I’m glad you like it.

- Mino, do you think meeting each other was destiny? – he asked very serious.

- Why do you ask that?

- Is just that, you just came into my life out of nowhere and all the sudden and now we’re best friends. Is even hard for me to imagine school, the soccer team… life, without you.

- Like it was meant to be. – I told him.

- Exactly. – he said.

- Then… it must be.

- Mino, why are you here? – he asked turning his whole body towards me. – Why did you came all the way from China and all the sudden, to live with your aunt?

- Is a long story. – I told him after a long sigh.

- I have all night. – he said brushing my hand with his fingertips.

- To fully understand what happened, you need to know that I come from a wealthy family.

- I suspected that much.

- And my relationship with my father has never been good, I have never live up to his expectations. – I was telling him this while he didn’t take his eyes off me. – However, I did have a great relationship with my mother and my sister, the three of us used to live in our own little world, protected from the harm that my father could do to us. But that world started to crumble down two years ago, when my sister moved to college, I became very depressed, she was my shield and now she wasn’t there for me anymore, she didn’t even contact me at all. I quit the soccer team and started to draw very depressing art, I was very lonely and sad. My mother was very busy with the company, there was a crisis back then that I didn’t even understand, but I knew that it was keeping my mother away from me. Everything started to get worse when I found out my father was having an affair, I came looking for him at the company for a school homework one day and he was making out with his former secretary in his office, I started to dig more into it and I found out they were having a relationship for years and they even had a daughter, out of nowhere I realized that I had a 6 years old sister. I couldn’t take it anymore, I stop trying to please my dad and fulfil his expectations of me, I stop trying to be the kind of son he wanted me to be and started to rebel and go against him and that was when he showed his true colors. At first it was just a slap or a push, then it was a punch in the face that resulted on a black eye or a swollen lip. People started to misunderstand at school and started to stay away from me, they thought that I was a troublemaker, after all my father had a perfect and clean image, no one could ever believe or even imagine him beating his own son. My mother tried to defend me whenever she could, but she was almost never around, she also tried to advise me no to go against him so I wouldn’t get hurt, but how could I do that? He was always telling us how to live our life, and there he was having a double life himself, the double standards, I just hated it. Then, about four months ago we had our last fight, I said something that send him over the edge, he was out of his mind, he just came back from golfing so he started hitting me with his golf club in the head and then everything just went black, when I woke up I was in a hospital bed and my mother was sitting crying next to me. She told me that I was unconscious for two days, and that I had some broken ribs and a hematoma on the head, but the results of the test were good and I just needed to rest in the hospital for a few days, then I begged her for the hundred time to get away from my dad, to go somewhere else together, to start anew in a different place away from him but she said no, instead she told me to come here to Korea to live with my aunt and that was the end of the discussion. The next few days she always came to the hospital at night and stay over to sleep next to me on the couch, we didn’t even talk and every day when I woke up in the morning she was already gone, the only sign that I had that she was there before was the fresh flowers I had on the table next to my bed every day. When I was discharged from the hospital the chauffer came to pick me up, and for a moment I thought that the thing about moving with my aunt was just a spur of the moment thing that she said without thinking, but when I went into my room I found my suitcase already made and passport with a plane ticket on top of my bed.

- I had no idea you had to went through all that pain.

- I’m okay now. I’m finally living my life the way I wanted, my aunt is a sweetheart and I met you. As you can see there’s always light at the end of the tunnel.

- I admire you even more now, you’re always bright and cheerful, I couldn’t imagine there was some sadness behind that charming smile.

- I can’t deny I don’t feel lonely sometimes, or that I’m still not hurt about my mom choosing my father before me, her own son. But there are other things that make me happy and I just try to focus on that. – I was of course talking about him and at that moment I realized that we were already holding hands and since our hands were sweaty I could tell we were like this for a while and he was the one that grabbed my hand in the first place.

- You don’t have to feel lonely anymore, I will never leave your side. – he said while squeezing my hand.

- And what about you? – I asked him without letting go of his hand. – You never told me why you are one year behind in school.

- Is not really an interest story. – he said embarrassed. – My mother and I are from Imja Island, when I was 10 my grandfather became very ill, he was already living alone by that time, so we moved there to take care of him and stayed for almost a year until he passed away. Since we wanted to be with him as much as possible I didn’t go to school all that time, so when I came back I was already behind.

- And what about your father?

- I never knew my father, it has always been only my mother and me, the two of us against the world. – he said smiling.

- I envy you. – I said. – I bet your mother will never pick someone else over you.

- Your mother loves you Mino. – he said. – I’m sure she send you here because she wanted to protect you.

- But why didn’t she come here with me, why leaving me under the care of someone else?

- She must have had her reasons to stay there, besides you already told me, your aunt is a sweetheart. She probably thought she was the best person to take care of you, the one she trusted the most.

- Maybe you’re right. – I told him while he was yawing. – We should sleep now, you are already tired.

- No, I don’t want to sleep yet. – he said pouting. – Let’s watch another movie?

- No, you’re tired. – I told him while caressing his hair with my free hand. – You can barely keep your eyes open.

- At least tell me more about your school in China, until I fall sleep.

Then I started to tell him stories about my adventures with the soccer team in my former school until he fell sleep. Finally letting go of his hand I covered him up with the quilt and I spend more than an hour just staring at him, he looked so beautiful, he had his mouth partially open making his lips look so tempting, his skin seemed almost translucent under the moonlight and his eyelashes were long and curled. It made me want to touch him so badly, to feel his soft skin like velvet under my fingertips, to caress his pouting lips and brown eyelashes. How long would I be able to hold back these feelings I have for him? They’re so strong, so intense, so ardent… But I can’t, he is so pure, untainted like the first snow, I’m going to protect him from myself, I will preserve his innocence as long as I possibly can.

*********************************************************************

On the next day when I woke up Jinu was spooning me while sleeping, I carefully remove myself from him and took a cold shower to calm my body. His mother was going to get home at any moment and she was probably going to be tired so I started to cook breakfast for the three of us. Breakfast was almost ready when she entered the apartment, she was still wearing her nurse uniform and had bags under her eyes.

- Oh Mino. – She said surprised. – You're still here.

- Yes, I was just making breakfast, I thought you might be tired.

- My darling, you’re so thoughtful, thank you. – she said and glance at the food. – Omurice, that’s my Jinu’s favorite!

- Yes, I know.

- Okay just give a minute I will change my clothes and we can start eating.

After 5 minutes, she came out of her room looking fresh and help me served the food, she had kimchi and side dishes already made. She said that we should start eating since Jinu usually wakes up very late on Saturday, so we started to dig in.

- Wow Mino, this is delicious! – she said smiling. – I’m glad we’re alone, I been meaning to talk to you for a while.

- Really? – I asked her a little bit nervous.

- Let me be straightforward. – she said and stopped eating. – What are your intentions with my Jinu?

- I don’t understand your question. – I told her scared.

- Don’t play dumb child, I know my son like the palm of my hand and he has never showed so much interest in any other person before, he might not know it yet, but he likes you a lot and you have the look of love every time you see him, is so easy to tell by someone like me, I have live much longer then you after all.

- I assure you that we’re just friends, nothing more.

- I believe you, but I like to be ready for any possible outcome. Be honest with me, what do you feel about my son?

- I… I think I’m in love with him. – I told her with my eyes on the floor.

- I know honey. – she said and put her hand over mine. – You’re a great kid, the best one I dare to say and sooner or later Jinu will return your feelings, I know that.

- I’m already satisfy with being his best friend, I just want to be near him.

- You said that now, but you will see that later you will crave for more. Let me be blunt with you again, I want you two to wait until you finish high school, you’re still too young and if you start before the right time it could cloud your minds. Also, when the time comes I want you to play by the rules, you should be safe, I don’t care if you’re both boys. – I was speechless, was Jinu’s mother giving me advise? Fortunately, Jinu came out of his room at that moment before she could continue.

- Mom you’re home. – he said hugging her.

- Of course sleepy head, have you look at the time? Is almost noon. – she told him pretending to be upset. – Come seat with us, Mino make us breakfast.

- Yes, omurice my favorite!!

- Mino is a great cook, no wonder you don’t miss my food anymore.

- Yes, but I’m not taking advantage of him or anything, I also cook for him whenever I can.

- I know, you two really care about each other. Did you have fun last night?

- Yes, we watched this movie Serendipity, is Mino’s favorite and I think you will like it too, we should watch it together some time.

- Of course honey, I’m so glad you weren’t alone last night.

- Yes, me too, we should do this on weekly basis Mino. – he said. – Is that okay mom?

- Of course, love. – she said and kiss his cheek. Is this really really happening, in some way did Jinu’s mom just gave us her blessing?

******************************************

(4 months ago)

What a terrible day, the whole class was now giving me the silent treatment and my teacher grounded me for falling sleep in class, is not my fault since I was having a nasty flu and still went to school, but no one even cares about me anymore. I was having dinner in the dining room alone as usual when my father came from the golf course, he was still carrying his clubs.

- Mino, stop eating and get ready, we’re having dinner with Mr. Cai and his daughter. – he ordered me.

- No.

- What did you just say?

- I said no, I don’t want to go.

- Oh, you will go, you don’t want to face the consequences if you don’t.

- No, I will not go to your stupid dinner to entertain that stupid girl.

- That girl is the daughter of one of our most important business partners, don’t you dare to speak of her like that!!

- Why, do you care more about someone else’s daughter that your own son? – I asked and stand challenging in front of him.

- You know I’m doing this for your own good, she could be your potential wife!

- I will never marry her or any of your business partner’s daughters, I’m not a pawn that you can use to expand the company. In fact, I might not even marry a girl in the future.

- What did you just say?

- That I like guys more than girls and If I ever get marry it will be for love, I will never marry someone for their money like you did, I will only marry someone I love, even if it is a man.

- You’re an abomination!! – he yelled at me and started hitting me with one of his golf clubs, then everything just went black.

***************************************************************************************

(Chae Lin’s POV)

This is a nightmare, this have to be a nightmare. My mom was inconsolable yelling and crying trough the phone, I could barely understand what she was saying, it cannot be true, I must have misheard it, how could he touch my little brother? I was clenching my fist so tight that my knuckles were white out of blood.

- Otoke Chaelinah, otoke? He could have kill uri Mino.

- Mom, calm down, I can barely understand what you’re saying.

- I will put him in jail, I need to call the police now.

- Mom wait!! – I stopped her, even if I’m mad with fury we have to think straight. – If you sue him for this with his power and connections he will get one year in jail at the most, and then he will turn against you and make your life a living hell, remember the old said, keep your friends close but your enemies even closer.

- And what do you want me to do? I can’t live like this anymore.

- Let’s hit him where it hurts the most, let’s take the company back from him.

- But how can we accomplish that, you know he has most of the board on his side?

- I also have my connections and you and I know that he is doing embezzlement for a long time now, I’m sure he was at fault with the financial crisis we just went through.

- Are we strong enough to go against him?

- I been recruiting a group of people that I already have on my side, I was going to take the company back from him sooner or later, it was my plan since I came here and I've been working on that since then. Don’t worry mom, I know what I’m doing.

- But what about our Mino? I can’t let him touch him again.

- You must send him away for a while. – I said and she started to cry uncontrollably again.

- I can’t, where can I send him to?

- He can come here to study, there are really good schools here in New York and he is already good at English, he is perfect at it.

- No, he still can’t fend for himself, he is not like you.

- Then send him with family, he can go live with my grandparents.

- That’s not an option, remember what they did to Hyun Joo. Wait, we can send him with Hyun Joonah!

- But we haven’t even see her in years, do you think she will take him?

- Honey, your aunt loves you two, I should know, is just that things haven’t been good for her with the rest of the family, so she had to stay away.

- Okay mom, but remember not to tell Mino anything about this.

- I know. My sweet boy would not leave me alone if he knows what we have in mind.

****************************************************************

 

Author's Note: So Mino's past has finally been unveiled, what do you think about it? Also we can all tell now what Jinu's true feelings are right? let's just hope he doesn't realize too late. See you next week!!