Chapter 17

Two Doctors In Love (Slowly In Editing Process)

Chaeyeon's POV

"Chaeyeon, you better get out of there!" Sejeong unnie knocked on my door.

"No!" I yelled through my pillow.

"You have to go to work!" Chungha unnie complained.

"I don't want to go today!" I yelled back.

Sejeong unnie replied in a calm voice, "Chaeyeon, Nayoung unnie's trying her best to convince Kyulkyung. Give her some time."

"I am, Sejeong unnie," I spoke back, "But I already know the future. She's never coming back to me. She even said that herself that day."

"Just because she said that, she might not mean it," Sejeong unnie argued, "it took me a long time to have Chungha unnie, but now she's opened up to me."

"S-Shut up, Sejeong!" Chungha unnie yelled, but I could tell that she was blushing.

"Whatever, unnie. You admitted that you have feelings for me," Sejeong unnie said back.

"Can you guys stop with your cheesiness?" I asked with an irritated tone.

"Fine, we'll stop," Sejeong unnie replied.

She continued, "So, what I'm saying is that she might say that, but maybe she does want to come back to you. Her body might not let her because of what had happened. Think of it as a trauma for her. Anyways, you have got to get out of there. You're gonna starve yourself to death?"

I sighed, "Fine, I'll go to work. Only today! Then I'm staying at home!"

"Not like you have a choice," Sejeong unnie mumbled.

"Whatever!" I yelled back at her.

I changed into my casual clothes and opened my door slowly. Sejeong unnie and Chungha unnie were sitting on the floor. They got up and straightened their clothes.

"About time you got out of that room," Sejeong unnie complained, but showed her sincere eye smile to let me know that she was kidding.

I sighed, "How are we going to get there?"

Chungha unnie lifted up someone's car keys, "My cousin lent me her car. Going on a vacation with her boyfriend."

"You have a driver's license?" I asked.

She shook her head, "Sejeong does. But she prefers to walk on a daily basis."

I walked slowly to the exit, not waiting for them to walk with me, "I'm sitting in the back."

They nodded, "Fine with us."

We reached the hospital eventually, making me cringe everytime they kept saying cheesy lines. But I decided to shut my mouth because they came all the way to my house in the morning just to see if I was okay, and this was Chungha unnie's cousin's car.

We got out, making me rush inside the hospital due to the morning's coldness. Before I entered inside the hospital, I bumped into someone and fell down.

"Sorry," I mumbled and got up, only to see Kyulkyung sitting on the floor while giving me a glare.

She got up and patted her pants and clothes to get the dust off her, "Whatever. I don't think that was an accident."

I blinked at her in disbelief, "What?"

Nayoung unnie rushed to the scene, "Kyulkyung! I saw what happened! It was an accident! She didn't do it on purpose!"

Kyulkyung continued to look at me with a glare, "Well, unnie. She might try to make me lose my memory again so that she could have another chance to make me fall in love with her."

Nayoung unnie gasped, "Chaeyeon would never do those things to you!"

She rolled her eyes, "Whatever. She made me become like this."

Nayoung unnie was about to yell at Kyulkyung again, but I stopped her, "That's right, Nayoung unnie. It is my fault, so she could get mad at me whenever she wants."

"But-" Nayoung unnie said, making me shake my head.

"But I know that one day she'll come back to me," I said, trying to hold my tears.

Kyulkyung gave a scoff, "Like that will ever happen again."

Sejeong unnie and Chungha unnie managed to catch up, but stared at us with confused looks. Kyulkyung looked at them with no expression, then left to go to the pediatrics building.

Nayoung unnie looked at me worriedly, "Are you sure you're going to let go of Kyulkyung like this?"

I shrugged, "I'm not exactly letting her go, Nayoung unnie. I know her personality. I know that she'll come back to me one day," I said and smiled warmly at Sejeong unnie who smiled back with her eye smile, "because someone convinced me that she'll come back to me safely."

"What happens if she doesn't?" Chungha unnie asked as she and Sejeong unnie walked closer to us.

I sighed and let a tear drop, "Then I'll just have to let her go. It's that simple."

Before I turned to walk to the surgery building, an announcement came on, "Attention, doctors from all present buildings. Just a reminder that next week will offically be the 26th annual IOI Love Game. Please get ready for the game. Thank you for your attention and have a good day."

I groaned, "Not again."

Sejeong unnie sighed, "I'm tired of this."

Chungha unnie forced a smile, "Isn't it kind of fun? Getting to do something to someone for a month?"

Sejeong unnie smirked at Chungha unnie, "Did you enjoy that last time, unnie? Where it made you want more?"

Chungha unnie blushed, "N-Not in front of Chaeyeon, Sejeong! She's still innocent!"

I rolled my eyes, "I'm not innocent, unnie. I know you guys make out daily."

I headed for the surgery building, "Come on, Sejeong unnie. We're wasting time here."

Sejeong unnie winked at Chungha unnie, "Meet you later, my dear."

Chungha unnie nodded and headed to the allergy building. We walked to the surgery building and began meeting up with patients who planned to get a surgery. Before I knew it, the day was dark and stars began to fill up the sky. I changed back into my casual clothes and walked to the exit. Across from me was Kyulkyung who seemed to recognize me, staying away from me as far as possible. I sighed and stopped, feeling my phone ring in my purse. I took out my phone and saw the caller's name, Heehyun unnie.

I answered her, "Yes, Heehyun unnie? Do you need anything?"

"I was just going to ask how are you, that's all," she replied, "I heard she woke up."

"Yeah, but I don't want to talk about that right now."

"Chaeyeon, about that day, I'm sorry," she responded.

I sighed, "I know, Heehyun unnie. You've always said that. But it's too late."

"Oops, gotta go, Chaeyeon. Busy with surgeries over here lately. Also, the group wanted to say hi to you, since it's been a long time."

"Sure, tell them I said hi too," I replied back.

"Before I stop this conversation, in order to at least get rid of some of the regret you have because of stupid me, I will do something to help fix this."

Before I could complain, she stopped the conversation. I took my phone away from my ear, only to recognize Kyulkyung giving me a glare. I looked at my phone, then at her. I waved my hands all over the place, "It's not what it looks like!"

She rolled her eyes, "Yeah, it's not what it looks like. Like that will convince me."

She walked away with an expressionless face. I sighed and forced myself to walk to my own apartment. Ever since she kicked me out of her apartment, I had to find another one. Good thing that I got my old one back, because the owner felt sorry for me.

I tried to watch something funny on my phone to get rid of my sadness, but nothing would get my sense of humor back. Before I was about to sleep, there was a ring on my doorbell. I walked to my door and opened it slowly. Sejeong unnie, Nayoung unnie, and Chungha unnie were standing at the door with big smiles on their faces. Sejeong unnie was carrying alcohol, Chungha unnie was carrying snacks to eat, and Nayoung unnie was holding a box of something. I looked at them with confused eyes, "What exactly is going on?"

Sejeong unnie grinned, "We're here to help you feel better, by soaking ourselves in alcohol."

"By eating until our stomachs can't contain it anymore," Chungha unnie continued.

"And looking at some scrapbooks and videos of Kyulkyung," Nayoung unnie finished it off.

I forced a smile, "Thanks, but I'm not in the mood to do this stuff right now."

Sejeong unnie shook her head, "It's not a choice. You'll be surprised when you see Kyulkyung. You might learn new things about her."

I sighed, "I guess it's worth a try."

They smiled and went inside one by one. We sat at the living room and began to drink and eat, while looking at some pictures. Kyulkyung looked so small and innocent from what she was like now. There was a picture of Kyulkyung and the unnies playing at the beach.

I smiled warmly, "She sure had fun before she met me and my attitude."

Sejeong unnie looked at Nayoung unnie. Nayoung unnie could only sigh, "She looks like that, but she wasn't really like that at all."

I blinked my eyes, "Really?"

Nayoung unnie nodded, "Sejeong and Chungha probably knows about this, but I don't think Kyulkyung ever told you about this."

"Is it that?" Chungha unnie asked, Nayoung unnie nodding slowly.

"What happened?" I asked worriedly.

She sighed again, "You see, Chaeyeon. Kyulkyung had a very traumatic childhood. She was originally from China and came here because her father had job offers. Once they moved over here, it was hard for her. Learning a new language, making new friends that she could really get along with, suffering from bullying, but she held it in. I was her only friend at that time and we both felt like outcasts. When she was in sixth grade, she lost her parents and siblings in a car crash. People thought that it was Kyulkyung's fault because they thought Kyulkyung was busy playing around, not caring about them, but that wasn't true. Kyulkyung did care about them, she didn't play around, she studied so that she would become better for her parents and siblings. Actually, she even agreed with them and blamed herself that this awful accident happened. My parents took in Kyulkyung because they felt bad, but they let Kyulkyung keep her original family name, so that she would still feel like she was part of that family."

I stared at her in disbelief, "All of this happened to her?"

Nayoung unnie nodded, "Yes."

I held in my tears, "But she looks so happy."

Sejeong unnie spoke this time, "Chaeyeon, Kyulkyung may seem happy, but she can keep her true feelings inside herself really easily. When she reached high school, she changed. From a nerdy girl to a girl that guys fell for. But she didn't accept any of them, because of what her father had told her, to never fall for guys when she was still in school. College was fine for her dad, though. Everyone named her China's Ice Queen, all because of her silent rejections and personality. She has changed quite a lot though. She's gotten more happier ever since college entered into her life."

I gulped down my saliva, "And Kyulkyung never told me this?"

Chungha unnie replied, "It's not her fault. She might have never wanted you to know about this because she didn't want you to talk about it with her or that she doesn't want you to think of her differently."

I blinked my eyes to stop the tears from coming out, "If Kyulkyung told me this, then I would've understood, because I told her about my painful past."

Nayoung unnie shook her head, "But you don't understand how Kyulkyung felt at that time. She must've felt tortured. She had already wanted to suicide herself about ten times."

I rubbed my eyes, "Is there anything else I have to know?"

"I don't think there's anything else that you need to know, because my mind can't seem to remember things, but if I do remember something, I'll surely tell you," Nayoung unnie said.

I nodded and opened a beer can. Chungha unnie bit a piece of beef jerky, "Chaeyeon, is it okay if the three of us stay at your house tomorrow? I mean, all of us are lonely anyway."

I smiled at them as I continued to drink the beer can, "Sure. I would like some company anyway."

"Unnie, I thought we were going to my place," Sejeong unnie whined.

Chungha unnie rolled her eyes, "I think you've had enough of that. Take a break. I promise, if either your building or my building wins, then you can do whatever you want."

"Even if you win?" Sejeong unnie asked carefully.

Chungha unnie nodded and throughly diced the chips in with her teeth before swallowing it. Nayoung unnie took out her phone and began to type, "And I'll be writing my report while you guys go do weird things as a couple."

Sejeong unnie smirked, "Don't feel lonely at all, Nayoung unnie. Wanna try attending a blind date? I could ship you with someone."

Nayoung unnie rolled her eyes, "Not tempted at all, ahjusshi."

Sejeong unnie shrugged, "Okay then."

I forced a laugh, "And I'll be drowning myself in alcohol again."

"It's best to do that once in a while. You know what they say, alcohol is the best medicine when depression and stress hits you and your life."

I smiled unconsciously, "I agree. It tastes more better."

Before I knew it, I finished ten cans and laid on my bed burping repeatedly. From my door, I could hear puking noises and I'm guessing it was Sejeong unnie, because she was the only one who drank more than Chungha unnie and Nayoung unnie, besides me. I burped and sighed, hiccuping after that.

Kyulkyung, I was once your girlfriend, and I believe I still am, why didn't you tell me about this traumatic event that happened in your life? You know I am here for you, right?