Chapter 1

Two Doctors In Love (Slowly In Editing Process)

Kyulkyung’s POV

“Thank you, doctor unnie!” the hyped up infant cried out in joy, a big smile was plastered on her small and adorable face.

“You’re very welcome,” I said and bent down to pat her head with a motherly smile.

I got up after the little infant seemed to have calmed down and smiled politely at her mother, “She’ll be fine after a few days of good rest. Remember that the medicine can only be used every 8-12 hours and that she can’t take it on an empty stomach. I suggest you find something that her stomach can easily digest, something that’s not too rich on flavor.”

The child’s mother smiled, “Thank you so much, Dr. Zhou.”

I decided to take the compliment and replied back politely, “No need to thank me. It was just a small stomach flu.”

The youngster’s mother shook her head and smiled gratefully, “I’m not very intellectual when it comes to medicine and health. To others, it might seem like a tiny problem, but to me, it’s a very big deal.”

I smiled, showing my teeth and gums more after what she had said, “No need to panic like that. If she ever comes across another stomach flu, just follow the same instructions I gave you. If you don’t seem to remember them, you can always search it up on the internet or you can visit a local hospital.”

The kid’s mother nodded slowly, seeming to have already processed the information I gave her. She smiled after that and bowed, “Thank you so much, Dr. Zhou. I’ve never met a doctor like you at all. IOI Hospital is sure lucky to have you on board.”

“I thank you for your thoughtful compliment,” I replied and bowed slightly.

The mother smiled kindly and then called her daughter, “Hyerin, say goodbye to Dr. Zhou.”

The child, Hyerin pouted, “Do we have to leave, eomma?”

Her mother looked at her sternly, “We’ll be bothering Dr. Zhou if we stay here for too long.”

I smiled, “No need to be so glum, Hyerin-ssi. I’ll always be here if you need me.”

She widened her eyes, “Really, doctor unnie?”

I silently chuckled and nodded my head, “Really.”

She paused for a moment and pondered for a bit. Her mother and I waited for her patiently until she sighed, “Ok. I guess I’ll go home right now.”

I smiled, “And if you ever need me, I’m always here, okay?”

She nodded and smiled brightly again, “Bye doctor unnie! See you next time!”

“I thank you again, Dr. Zhou,” the mother said after Hyerin.

I bowed at a ninety-degree angle, “I am glad I have at least helped you out. Have a nice day.”

The two then left and before I knew it, I was the only one in my office. I stretched my arms slowly and gave a lazy yawn. I checked the time on the clock, 7 pm.

A smirk made its way up on my face, “Time to make a visit.”

I advanced towards the door and got out of my office. I skipped to the next office besides my own and hummed enthusiastically. When I arrived at the office that was beside mine, I knocked on the door gently with a playful smile.

“Come in,” a voice from inside the room responded.

I opened the door slowly and poked my head inside, scanning the scene in front of me. I then stepped inside only to find a woman with her eyes fixated on her laptop screen. Her fingers were obviously not stopping for a break and her expressions made it worse, stoic and expressionless. It was as if she was not feeling anything besides getting her work done.

Im Nayoung unnie. She’s a pediatrician just like me, except that she takes her work seriously. In fact, maybe a little TOO seriously.

A bit of background info about her.

She loves kids but with her 24/7 expressionless countenance, I hope they don’t mistake her as a horrifying… poker-faced… monster.

Besides that, she’s very tall and she’s a full time fan of Shinee, her favorite kpop boy band.

Anyways, back to the point.

I snuck up behind her but before I could hug her from behind, she stopped me, “Kyulkyung, I know you’re there. Touch me one tiny bit, I’ll burn you down to ashes before you even get to say your final goodbyes.”

I laughed nervously, “What do you mean? I wasn’t gonna scare you to death or anything like that.”

And there it was. Her deadly… empty glare.

Even though they were so blank, it was still scary to me. I walked to the seat that was in front of her desktop and smiled nervously, “Ok, ok. I get it so can you please stop showing me that emotionless glare you’re giving me right now?”

She sighed and tried to smirk, but instead her lips just twisted with no emotion in it at all.

“So, what brings you here again, Kyulkyung-ssi?”

I smirked, “Nayoung unnie, you’re supposed to treat me for dinner today. Don’t you remember our bet?”

Nayoung unnie sighed, “Yes, I do remember, Kyulkyung, but as you can see, my hands are full right now.”

I pouted, “Is it that report our head pediatrician made us do? Nayoung unnie, even though you’re one of the sunbaes here, you don’t have to listen to that new hoobae who was chosen to be the head pediatrician out of luck.”

Nayoung raised her eyebrow but continued to have her full attention at the screen, “There’s a reason why she was chosen to be the head pediatrician. It’s because she takes her work very seriously unlike someone.”

I frowned, “How rude! I take my work very seriously! And besides, you take your work more seriously than her. You could've been the head pediatrician!”

Nayoung sighed, “I don't really care anymore, Kyulkyung. Being a pediatrician is enough for me. I don't want to be someone who’s already stressing twice as more than I am myself right now.”

“You do have a point,” I mumbled.

Nayoung unnie sighed and closed her laptop. She looked at me and showed a small smile, “Kyulkyung, you're not leaving me alone until I take us out to eat, right?”

I nodded eagerly.

“Since you're bothering me right now and I don't see a point in finishing this report today, I'll give you fifteen minutes for you to get all your stuff and meet me at the entrance.”

I got up from my seat and winked at her, “Yes madam!”

+++

“Unnie, let's go! We're already wasting time!” I whined at her.

Nayoung unnie rolled her eyes, “Kyulkyung, we've only been standing here at the entrance for a minute.”

I glared at her, “A minute is sixty seconds and sixty seconds is a lot of time, Nayoung unnie.”

Nayoung unnie could only sigh at my unreasonable behavior, “So, where do you plan to go, Kyulkyung?”

“Let's go eat seafood. I'm craving for the king crab right now,” I said with a dreamy look in my eyes.

Nayoung unnie shrugged, “You say it, you're the boss.”

I smirked, “Unnie, you got your paycheck yesterday, right?”

She scratched her head, “Yeah why?”

I held my hands together dramatically, “King crab, here I come!”

She sighed, “Oh boy.”

“Oh, Kyulkyung unnie. Nayoung unnie,” two familiar voices spoke at the same time.

I turned around to see two girls who were in their nurse uniforms. I smiled at them and hugged the both of them tightly, “Mina, Sohye! How are you guys?”

“Fine,” they both replied and exchanged a hug with me.

Kim Sohye and Kang Mina. Both ‘99 girls, they are nurses working for several doctors. They had just started dating but they're the cutest couple I've ever came across. Did I mention they both love food?

I smiled after we let go of each other, “Wanna go eat with me and Nayoung unnie? Nayoung unnie just got her paycheck yesterday! And I heard they're in season for king crabs!”

They looked at each other with glee but then stopped and shook their heads with a forced smile, “We’re both on a diet.”

The smile on my face started to fade away, “Oh, I see.”

“We hope you enjoy those king crabs though-”

“Oh, unnie. You should check out the new surgeon before you and Nayoung unnie go. I heard she's really pretty too,” Sohye interrupted, obviously oblivious towards Mina’s glare.

I raised my eyebrow, “And who's this new surgeon?”

Mina stopped Sohye, “Her name’s Jung Chaeyeon. She just came here this morning.”

I smirked at Nayoung unnie. She sighed and rolled her eyes, “Fine, we'll check her out.”

I smiled and pulled Nayoung unnie’s arm, “Thank you, Sohye and Mina. See you later. And good luck on both your diet and relationship.”

They both forced a smile back at me and Nayoung unnie, “Bye, Kyulkyung unnie. Bye, Nayoung unnie.”

They then walked away with each other, possibly talking about something related to penguins.

Nayoung unnie sighed and crossed her arms, “Are you seriously thinking about tormenting this new surgeon on her first day at work?”

I frowned, “For someone who’s supposed to be on my side 24/7, you sure make it sound sarcastic and wrong.”

Nayoung unnie just shrugged, “Why are you still tormenting the new hoobaes? Just because you're one of the most respected sunbaes here doesn't mean you can do this kind of behavior.”

I cracked my knuckles, “This new surgeon is different, Nayoung unnie. Clearly Sohye stated that she was pretty, but I want to see if she's really pretty.”

Nayoung unnie made a proper smirk, “You're just saying that to see if she's prettier than you, right?”

I glared at Nayoung unnie. She shrugged, “Well, you’re known as the prettiest doctor in IOI Hospital. And apparently someone’s salty about another person calling someone else pretty instead of them.”

I rolled my eyes, “Nice try, Nayoung unnie. I'm just curious. That's all.”

She could only sigh and follow me as we headed towards the surgery department and looked for the so-called pretty surgeon, Jung Chaeyeon. After bumping into a few surgeons, we ended up standing in front of the refreshments machine, getting a drink before moving again.

Nayoung unnie’s stomach growled silently as she patted her poor stomach, “Kyulkyung, we've been searching for her for at least half an hour. Let's just search for her tomorrow. I'm getting hungry right now. Don't you want to eat king crabs?”

“Only ten more minutes, Nayoung unnie,” I insisted, “I just want to have a glimpse of her.”

She sighed and gave up immediately, “Fine. Only ten more minutes. And that's that.”

I smiled, thankful that she was considerate enough.

“Are you two looking for someone? You don't look like you're surgeons,” a voice interrupted my thoughts.

We both turned around. Standing in front of us was a young woman who had long jet black hair, delicate brown eyes, plump red lips, and the most flawless white skin I've ever seen. She was beautiful indeed, not to mention she was the same height as me.

I forced a smile at her, nudging Nayoung unnie by the arm, “We were looking for the new surgeon, right unnie?”

“Y-Yeah,” Nayoung unnie stuttered, “We heard from someone that she came here this morning and wanted to meet her before leaving the hospital.”

She raised her eyebrows, suspicious of our forced smiles, “I am the new surgeon. Do you need anything?”

I studied her face more closely. She was pretty, very pretty.

I reached out my hand and smiled at her, “I'm Zhou Kyulkyung. This is Im Nayoung. We're both from the pediatrics department.”

No response.

I laughed nervously, “Is there something wrong?”

She looked at my hand and scoffed, “Sorry, but I don't plan on just becoming friends with anyone here. It'll ruin my reputation with the surgeon sunbaenims. Obviously they'll mock me if I were to become friends with… other people.”

I lowered my hand and gave her a glare.

“What did you just say?” I said in a low, yet intimidating tone.

The new surgeon clearly didn't have any respect for us, despite us working here longer than her.

Nayoung unnie frowned and whispered in my ear, “Not here, Kyulkyung. Now’s not a good time. There's still people here plus the security cameras are still on right now.”

Nayoung unnie then laughed nervously at the new surgeon, “I apologize for her behavior, Chaeyeon-ssi. She must have not expected you to be like this.”

The new surgeon raised an eyebrow and crossed her arms.

I continued to glare at her when Nayoung unnie grabbed my hand and bowed at the new surgeon, “It was nice meeting you, Chaeyeon-ssi.”

Then, we both left her standing there, who continued to eye us suspiciously.

“Kyulkyung, I told you it wasn't a good idea to meet her,” Nayoung unnie scolded.

I sighed, “I've never seen someone like her act like that to her sunbaes.”

“But we're technically not her sunbaes, Kyulkyung.”

I rolled my eyes, “Whatever. At least I got to see her. Let's go eat, I'm hungry.”

Nayoung unnie looked at me in disbelief, “Now you say you're hungry. Did you lose your appetite back then?”

I made a pout, “Nayoung unnie, let's go! I AM HUNGRY.”

“Fine, fine,” Nayoung unnie finally replied as she followed me helplessly.

I don't like her attitude, not to mention her inappropriate behavior towards her sunbaes. But she was really pretty, as if she was an idol. The thought of that somehow made me want to see her again.

I don't know why, but I think I'm in love with her.