One Day In Front Of The Mirror

10th Member

Haeju is sitting in front of the table. Across her, there’s Nayeon sitting as well. Our Unnie, our most likable member, our most talented, most beautiful, persuasive, and amazing person. What do you think Haeju feels in that empty meeting room? She loses her confidence. Haeju avoids Nayeon the most because that’s the only way she can shine. The rivalry between them is so strong, even Nayeon acknowledges that. Haeju is new, fresh, unique, miraculous, tall, high quality, good at rapping, and controversial. She steals the spotlight as the new oldest member that Nayeon has been kept for 5 years. Haeju knows that Nayeon knows about it. She’s just afraid that Nayeon is not as scared as her.

Haeju holds her own hand, spreads her arm as she subconsciously wants to dominate the table. She sits straight, with the best pose. Brzz… Brzz… “Ah, Tzuyu!” she looks at the screen. While opening the text, Haeju keeps reminding herself that she’s the mature version of Tzuyu. The ‘unnie’ version of that gorgeous tall maknae. That thought boosts her confidence so well.

Nayeon, on the other side, is playing with her phone. She doesn’t care what’s really going on between them, maybe pretending to be. Probably only focused on about the meeting they're going to have this afternoon, Haeju thinks.

“Nayeon-na!” Haeju calls in a clingy way. She wants to start the conversation as she wants to let Nayeon knows that she doesn’t feel awkward nor nervous. She makes her voice sounds childish because she wants her to feel at ease.
“Nae?” Nayeon immediately puts her phone and looks at Haeju. The latter doesn’t expect her rival is so caring like this to respond to her as fast as possible.
“Umm…” Haeju nervously trying to find a topic to say, ”I, I think we’re too soon to be here,” she says.
“It’s okay! Better early than late,” Nayeon answers.
“True true,” she agrees. She has no choice.
“Are you tired, Ju? You can feel relaxed, the other members probably haven’t finished recording,” she says, so caring about Haeju’s condition and feeling.

Haeju’s touched. Her thoughts for the last 5 minutes have been broken by a single sentence from her caring friend. Now she feels guilty to see her as a nemesis. Nayeon is too nice. Too caring. There won’t be any drama made when-

“Your face looks so tired! Hahahahaha...!” Nayeon laughs jokingly before Haeju has the chance to answers her. She’s hurt with that sudden harsh joke.
“My face, really?”
“Yeah..! Wanna borrow my mirror?”
“I have one,” Haeju answers shortly, hiding her emotion, while taking her handbag.
“Fine…”

Haeju takes her mirror with a grudge in his heart. She looks at the mirror. Knowing her having really unstable confidence, Haeju feels like her face is indeed not fresh. That makes her mad at Nayeon even more.

“See?” Nayeon speaks again as if she knows what Haeju thinks.
The latter put her mirror and glares at Nayeon.
“Rinse your face, dear. You don’t want to look like that in our meeting. PD-nim will be happier to see us in our best condition,” she says.

Without saying anything, Haeju gets up and leaves the table. Angrily she goes to the restroom to find water. After opens the door roughly and washes her makeup-less face (more like throwing the water on her face, actually), she feels kinda different. Haeju looks at the mirror with a more fresh feeling inside. “Nayeon’s right,” she mutters. Haeju realizes that actually Nayeon just wants Haeju to look better. With a clearer mind, Haeju finally gets it. Her suspicious to Nayeon are gone. “I think Nayeon is caring after all,” she tells her own reflection.

While renewing her makeup, Nayeon’s visualization appears on the mirror, “Am I wrong considering you as a rival, Nay?” she asks that reflection. After a pause, she shakes her head and smirks, “Nah…”

Haeju puts her stuff to her handbag and looks at the mirror once again, "You’re the best, that’s why I need to beat you..." holding her chuckles, she says before leaving the scene.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



(a/n) what do you think about this 3rd person POV story?